U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 06:45 AM

4,967 posts, read 3,599,189 times

Advertisements

My 23&Me reports keep changing. I feel the only accurate reading was the reading of who I know I am biologically. Two people were adopted in my family and the way it changes so wildly doesn't make sense.

I looked at an article about DNA tests and they named the best as CRI Genetics. https://geneticsdigest.com/best_ance...AaAn3hEALw_wcB

I'm going to get an Ancestry kit too. Mom used Ancestry for her DNA and I want to be connected to her, so I can compare. Dad's still not interested in doing it. However, I think if I can see mom's DNA, I can see what I got from dad that way.

However, I wonder if CRI Genetics might be more accurate. I've never heard of them before. Have any of you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 08:52 AM

15,893 posts, read 24,671,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
My 23&Me reports keep changing. I feel the only accurate reading was the reading of who I know I am biologically. Two people were adopted in my family and the way it changes so wildly doesn't make sense.

I looked at an article about DNA tests and they named the best as CRI Genetics. https://geneticsdigest.com/best_ance...AaAn3hEALw_wcB

I'm going to get an Ancestry kit too. Mom used Ancestry for her DNA and I want to be connected to her, so I can compare. Dad's still not interested in doing it. However, I think if I can see mom's DNA, I can see what I got from dad that way.

However, I wonder if CRI Genetics might be more accurate. I've never heard of them before. Have any of you?

Go with Ancestry and do it within the next few days because it's on sale for $59 for St Pat's.

There's a thread on CRI genetics. There are reviews on a google search saying they suck. Lots of people complaining on their FB page too. Majority posting on the thread think they suck and it was a waste of money. Make sure you look over the thread.

Here are a few replies from it with a link to the BBB page on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
CRI is the company that host a website which looks like a DNA test comparison site but it's actually just created to rank themselves as the top company. They are not forthcoming about the fact that they own the site and that's why they are ranked at the top. This is called shilling, and it's actually illegal in most places. I wouldn't put much trust in them as a company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Before I paid for another test I would download it and run it through gedmatch, it's free and much more accurate https://www.gedmatch.com/login1.php I don't even subscribe to Ancestry anymore I was getting inundated with emails from possible 3rd or 4th cousins who didn't even have a family tree asking me to tell them how I am related to them

CRI has a number of unhappy customers who filed complaints with BBB https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/santa-moni...stomer-reviews

Old 03-09-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Go with Ancestry and do it within the next few days because it's on sale for $59 for St Pat's.

There's a thread on CRI genetics. There are reviews on a google search saying they suck. Lots of people complaining on their FB page too. Majority posting on the thread think they suck and it was a waste of money. Make sure you look over the thread.

Here are a few replies from it with a link to the BBB page on them.
Yikes! I will definitely order from Ancestry. Mom was satisfied.

I just really want to know who I am.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:24 AM

15,893 posts, read 24,671,966 times
Quote:
Yikes! I will definitely order from Ancestry. Mom was satisfied.

I just really want to know who I am.
I just turned 56, I still don't know who I am lol

DNA told me I'm almost fully Eastern European, some put me correctly in Hungary groups, some throw me all over Eastern Europe. They all say about 10% Italian which I didn't know until I tested.

Did you upload your 23 and me to GEDmatch? Their ethnicity is pretty good.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:

DNA told me I'm almost fully Eastern European, some put me correctly in Hungary groups, some throw me all over Eastern Europe. They all say about 10% Italian which I didn't know until I tested.

I'll have to! GEDmatch.com?

I guess I probably will never know who I am. I guess I'm just Jess and I make it up as I go along. LOL!

Old 03-09-2021, 01:26 PM

10,509 posts, read 5,659,282 times
This stuff changes almost every year as more people are tested. You will always be a moving target in a "pin the tail on the donkey" game. But it will settle into a pattern. I notice my ancestry keeps moving toward Ireland or toward Eastern Europe as the DNA results change over the years. We thought we were German and then Irish but the German is dwindling away. Now I'm solid Irish (Kerry) and sorta Polish-Baltic-Ukrainian-Russian-Czech-Magyar, and then German. I totally lost my French which sorta became Belgian Walloon and Dutch and then sucked into "English".

Old 03-09-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
This stuff changes almost every year as more people are tested. You will always be a moving target in a "pin the tail on the donkey" game. But it will settle into a pattern. I notice my ancestry keeps moving toward Ireland or toward Eastern Europe as the DNA results change over the years. We thought we were German and then Irish but the German is dwindling away. Now I'm solid Irish (Kerry) and sorta Polish-Baltic-Ukrainian-Russian-Czech-Magyar, and then German. I totally lost my French which sorta became Belgian Walloon and Dutch and then sucked into "English".
That's really interesting. Huh. Does this happen to everyone?

Old 03-09-2021, 02:15 PM

5,658 posts, read 9,009,666 times
Quote:
That's really interesting. Huh. Does this happen to everyone?
For most people, yes. Your results change when the company updates their reference panels or methodologies.

For me, the changes (I tested with Ancestry.com) were to break up the 75% or so British region into nearly equal parts England, Scotland, and Ireland, with a small amount of Wales. My German and Jewish percents have remained around 10-11% throughout the updates.

I have a solid family tree, and the results from Ancestry.com have always been pretty good for me. I get shortchanged on German (likely confused with English) but otherwise the estimates match my tree and other DNA research I have done.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:39 PM

4,254 posts, read 4,723,161 times
Quote:

I thought most folks dropped GEDmatch. Are you still in?

Old 03-09-2021, 07:49 PM

7,348 posts, read 3,502,406 times
Save. Your. Money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy