U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

2,961 posts, read 4,928,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Also weird is the fact that the history book daliowa shared seems to be very inaccurate. It says Thomas L Garrett Sr died 4 Dec 1842, but that's not possible since he's found on the 1850 census and his gravestone says he died 2 Dec 1856.

The date of Dec. 4, 1842 has to be a typo in the book, because in the same article it talks about things that Thomas was doing up to 1847.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

9,665 posts, read 15,152,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
The date of Dec. 4, 1842 has to be a typo in the book, because in the same article it talks about things that Thomas was doing up to 1847.
Good point - but that's quite a typo to make, lol.

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

2,961 posts, read 4,928,322 times
There's an 1881 / 1882 Paducah city directory online:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library

There's a Lee S. Garrett listed. He works for Hale & Garrett and boards Boyd & Wash.

There's an Edward F. Garrett salesman for George O. Hart, boards Mrs. Mclelland's.

There's a Mrs. Nancy Garrett, boards SE corner Adams & Chestnut.

I found Marion Mcclelland running a boarding house in 1880, but none of your people were listed.

Edward must have moved in after the 1880 census.

There are 4 people named COOK in the 1881 directory for Paducah:
J.W.
James S.
Frank
Mrs. Mary

Old Today, 08:46 AM

85 posts, read 75,425 times
The 1906 City Directory for Paducah, Kentucky has the following:

Garrett Bros. (H.M. and O.M. Garrett), groceries, 531 Trimble

Garrett Harry M. (Garrett Bros.), r 602 N 6th

Garrett Olynthus M. (Garrett Bros.), r 531 Trimble

Avoiding census takers seems to be pretty common even today. Maybe your ancestors took it to a new level. I know my own ancestors in New England and Ontario either lied or the census takers were getting answers from neighbors because the information is often incorrect. It's also possible that the census takers found it easier to guess at a later date when they didn't have all the needed data.

Old Today, 09:28 AM

The 1908 City Directory for Paducah, Kentucky has the following:

Garrett Harry M., Collector Rhodes-Burford Co., r 602 N 6th (Nell B.)

Olynthus is not listed.

In the 1910 Census of Paducah Harry and Nellie were listed with their two children Virginia (age 4) and Harry (age 1). By 1920 they were living in Princeton, KY and had another child Philip K age 7. It seems this family eventually moved to Culver City, CA. Please let me know if you want more details.

Old Today, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
There's an 1881 / 1882 Paducah city directory online:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library

There's a Lee S. Garrett listed. He works for Hale & Garrett and boards Boyd & Wash.

There's an Edward F. Garrett salesman for George O. Hart, boards Mrs. Mclelland's.

There's a Mrs. Nancy Garrett, boards SE corner Adams & Chestnut.

I found Marion Mcclelland running a boarding house in 1880, but none of your people were listed.

Edward must have moved in after the 1880 census.
Thanks, I don't know who Edward is though, even if he was there. I checked the 1880 census for Boyd and Wash Streets (should be in ED 123), but didn't find any Garretts. I think they must have avoided the census for those two decades - and then of course the 1890 census is lost so that's 3 decades of data missing. It's just so frustrating that it means I may never figure out who some of these people are the children of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersFL View Post
The 1906 City Directory for Paducah, Kentucky has the following:

Garrett Bros. (H.M. and O.M. Garrett), groceries, 531 Trimble

Garrett Harry M. (Garrett Bros.), r 602 N 6th

Garrett Olynthus M. (Garrett Bros.), r 531 Trimble

Avoiding census takers seems to be pretty common even today. Maybe your ancestors took it to a new level. I know my own ancestors in New England and Ontario either lied or the census takers were getting answers from neighbors because the information is often incorrect. It's also possible that the census takers found it easier to guess at a later date when they didn't have all the needed data.
I suspected those might be the next generation - I can't tell if Olynthus is the brother or maybe a nephew/son named after him, because Harry isn't one of the brothers. Like I say, without the censuses, it's so hard to sort them all out and figure out the relationships. Censuses certainly very often incorrect because they're taken for demographic purposes, not for identification, so it's not very important that they get all details exactly right. But I've never seen an entire family go missing from 2 censuses in a row like this. I do wonder if it had to do with resentment over the civil war.

Quote:
The 1908 City Directory for Paducah, Kentucky has the following:

Garrett Harry M., Collector Rhodes-Burford Co., r 602 N 6th (Nell B.)

Olynthus is not listed.

In the 1910 Census of Paducah Harry and Nellie were listed with their two children Virginia (age 4) and Harry (age 1). By 1920 they were living in Princeton, KY and had another child Philip K age 7. It seems this family eventually moved to Culver City, CA. Please let me know if you want more details.
Thanks! I see the 1910 census and you're right, that's probably him, it's just a question of who his parents are? It looks like this is his death record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP3W-KWWL
That says his father was Samuel Garrett. I have no record of a Samuel Garrett in this family, but he must fit in somehow. Every answer creates a new mystery!

Old Today, 03:23 PM

Managed to find Samuel Garrett, father of Harry M and also the Carrie (Garrett) Kindred mentioned as Carrie (Garrett) Mahoney's niece in her will - but I still can't find Samuel's connection to the elder Carrie: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/KZX3-MVN

You would think as a niece, it would mean Samuel is the brother of Carrie (Garrett) Mahoney, but there's no record of him on the 1850 census with the rest of the family.

Old Today, 07:15 PM

Kelley and Lambdin's Paducah Directory for 1869 has the following:

Garrett, A.K. firm of Garrett & Bros., No. 214 Broadway.
Garrett, O.M. firm of Garrett & Bros., No. 214 Broadway, res cor. Monroe and Oak.
Garrett, L.S. firm of Garrett & Bros., res. cor. Oak and Monroe.
Garrett, T.L. firm of Garrett & Bros., bds. at L.S. Garrett's.

I found an 1870 census record that might be Olynthus M Garrett.
City of Paducah county of McCracken, Kentucky
Household Members Age
Eliza Mc Connell 46
Elizabeth Peel 70
Alexander Mc Connell 28
Robert Mc Connell 26
Florence Garitt 20
Denna M Garitt 27
Nellie Mc Connell 17
James Mc Connell 22
Lillie Mc Connell 10
Bettie Mc Connell 12

Someone corrected Denna M Garitt to David M Garitt however the actual scan is D M Garitt with some illegible scribbling between the D and the M. His occupation is listed as retail grocer.

There is an Administrator's Bond in Ballard County, KY dated 3 Dec 1884 for O.M Garrett. He died intestate. The Administrator is J. H. Massie and the Surety is Thomas L Garrett.

Old Today, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Kelley and Lambdin's Paducah Directory for 1869 has the following:

Garrett, A.K. firm of Garrett & Bros., No. 214 Broadway.
Garrett, O.M. firm of Garrett & Bros., No. 214 Broadway, res cor. Monroe and Oak.
Garrett, L.S. firm of Garrett & Bros., res. cor. Oak and Monroe.
Garrett, T.L. firm of Garrett & Bros., bds. at L.S. Garrett's.

I found an 1870 census record that might be Olynthus M Garrett.
City of Paducah county of McCracken, Kentucky
Household Members Age
Eliza Mc Connell 46
Elizabeth Peel 70
Alexander Mc Connell 28
Robert Mc Connell 26
Florence Garitt 20
Denna M Garitt 27
Nellie Mc Connell 17
James Mc Connell 22
Lillie Mc Connell 10
Bettie Mc Connell 12

Someone corrected Denna M Garitt to David M Garitt however the actual scan is D M Garitt with some illegible scribbling between the D and the M. His occupation is listed as retail grocer.

There is an Administrator's Bond in Ballard County, KY dated 3 Dec 1884 for O.M Garrett. He died intestate. The Administrator is J. H. Massie and the Surety is Thomas L Garrett.
Good find, thank you - Olynthus did marry Florence McConnell - but I was thinking it must be the same Florence McConnell who seemed to later marry Samuel Garrett. But if that's the case, Olynthus probably died before abt 1870 (when Samuel's first child was supposedly born) - unless they divorced, of course.

But on the 1870 census it's definitely D M with what looks like "avid" added in after the D. The enumerator seems to have done that a lot with longer names.

How many Garretts did Florence marry?! Or was there more than one Florence McConnell?

The mysteries just never end, lol.

Old Today, 09:20 PM

Okay, despite being called Samuel's son on the census, Maxwell was apparently Olynthus' son: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7341...garrett-death/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy