U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 07:45 PM

9,665 posts, read 15,152,135 times

Advertisements

This one family is proving really difficult to track. I'm looking for the children of Thomas L Garrett and Kitturah B Smith: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/KZW9-MQ2

Some of them can be found later in life, but it's like many of them have this huge gap in between, mostly the 1870 and 1880 censuses. They were all adults by then, so it's not like they're all missing because the whole family unit is missing - the family unit would have been split up as individual adults by then.

If anyone can find the following, it'd be a huge help - I have a headache and I don't know if I'm just being stupid or what.

James R Garrett b. abt 1830 - anything at all after the 1850 census (there's a Find A Grave record I think might be him with the same cemetery and death date as his brother Leander, but it claims he's 1 year old, which doesn't make sense - otherwise, I have found nothing): https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/GCSZ-7RZ

Leander "Lee" S Garrett 1831-1901, 1870 and 1880 censuses missing: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/GCSZ-K6G

Caroline "Carrie" B Garrett 1834-1911, m J Harry Mahoney, 1870 and 1880 censuses missing: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/GCSZ-WB6

Alphonso K Garrett 1836-1871 - 1870 census missing: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...urces/GCSZ-3CB

Margaret K Garrett b. abt. 1838 - can't find after 1850 census (maybe she married, maybe she died, either way, I'm not finding her): https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/GCSZ-JRW

Rockwood Gideon Garrett b. abt. 1840 - can't find after 1860 census: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/GCSZ-C3F

Olynthus/Olinthius M Garrett b. abt. 1841 - can't find after his 1867 marriage to Florence McConnell: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/GCSZ-DB9

Thomas L Garrett 1842-1896 - 1870 and 1880 censuses missing: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/LT5X-QYQ

Kitturah B Garrett b. abt. 1847, m. George Green in 1867 - 1870 census missing (husband is widower by 1880): https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/GCSZ-66F

It's like they all just decided to go underground for the 1870 and and 1880 censuses. I've considered that might actually be true - there's some evidence some of them were Confederate soldiers, or married Confederate soldiers, and maybe as "Lost Causers" they resented the Federal government's census and therefore avoided it. Did Confederates do that kind of thing?

Thanks in advance if anyone can find anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 09:03 PM

2,961 posts, read 4,928,322 times
Kelley and Lambdin´s Paducah Directory for 1869
has the following names listed, and they all are employed by
Garrett & Bros., 214 Broadway

A.K. Garrett
L S Garrett, resides cor Oak & Monroe
O.M. Garrett, resides Oak & Monroe
T.L. Garrett, bds at L.S. Garrett's

An ad in the directory says that Garrett & Bros. are

dealers in choice family groceries, salt, liquors, wine, etc.
214 Broadway, Paducah, Ky

Consignments solicited.
All goods delivered free of charge.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:18 PM

On Google Books this book:

History of Massac County, Illinois
With Life Sketches and Portraits

By O. J. Page, J. E. Y. Hanna

mentions a preacher named Thos. L. Garrett, a preacher and father of
The Garrett Brothers of Paducah.

This book found on Google Books also
mentions Thomas.
A History of Kentucky Baptists: From 1769 to 1885, Including ...

John H. Spencer, ‎Burrilla B. Spencer · 1886

"THOMAS LORTON GARRETT was the originator of Mt. Olivet Association , and continued to be its most prominent preacher until ... In 1842 , he was invited to aid A. W. Meacham , pastor of Paducah church in a protracted meeting at that place ."

Old 03-10-2021, 09:39 PM

You can use this site to find ED numbers and then read through the
census pages for Paducah.

https://stevemorse.org/census/unified.html

Be sure to choose the census year you want from the drop down box at
top of the page.

Maybe you will find them on a census this way. It's possible that their
name got misspelled, or they weren't included in the indexing.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:43 PM

10,515 posts, read 5,662,952 times
The fact that all are missing is peculiar. Some Confederate die-hards left the country. Have you checked ship manifests? Raised in a border state (MO) with a bloody true civil war, I know there were stories of some leaving rather than stay and face or engage in continued hostility. Some just went into Mexico while others went further south. I assume Leander has census records for 1900...anything strange? I suspect that Jesse James was not in census records during those years — at least as himself. Did they stay (or resurface) in the same community?

James and Leander buried in the same place and time is interesting. At their age there could have been an event (Fire, natural disaster, train wreck,). Any others with that date? Other Garretts ? Could there be a coroner’s report? I have struggled with confused or wrong birthdates on cemetery records...two brothers with dates switched in the same church yard.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Kelley and Lambdin´s Paducah Directory for 1869
has the following names listed, and they all are employed by
Garrett & Bros., 214 Broadway

A.K. Garrett
L S Garrett, resides cor Oak & Monroe
O.M. Garrett, resides Oak & Monroe
T.L. Garrett, bds at L.S. Garrett's

An ad in the directory says that Garrett & Bros. are

dealers in choice family groceries, salt, liquors, wine, etc.
214 Broadway, Paducah, Ky

Consignments solicited.
All goods delivered free of charge.

Thanks, I did see those, but my main goal is to find out if they had children and therefore may have descendants, and the 1870 and 1880 censuses would be crucial for that. Granted, I think at least one of them says "single" on the 1900 census, suggesting his was never married/had kids - but that could be wrong for all I know.

So far, I've only managed to find that Thomas L Garrett (Jr) had surviving children (and even he is still missing from the 1870 and 1880 censuses, I only managed to find his kids through their vital records naming him as their father). Ann Garrett seemed to have two kids who both died in infancy and then she died prematurely herself. The rest are just a big question mark because I can't find them in the 1870 and 1880 censuses.

It's just so odd that all of them are missing on specifically the 1870 and (if they lived long enough) the 1880 censuses.

Quote:
On Google Books this book:

History of Massac County, Illinois
With Life Sketches and Portraits

By O. J. Page, J. E. Y. Hanna

mentions a preacher named Thos. L. Garrett, a preacher and father of
The Garrett Brothers of Paducah.

This book found on Google Books also
mentions Thomas.
A History of Kentucky Baptists: From 1769 to 1885, Including ...

John H. Spencer, ‎Burrilla B. Spencer · 1886

"THOMAS LORTON GARRETT was the originator of Mt. Olivet Association , and continued to be its most prominent preacher until ... In 1842 , he was invited to aid A. W. Meacham , pastor of Paducah church in a protracted meeting at that place ."
Thanks, that looks like the senior Thomas L Garrett, but that's still a good reference for his middle name and other details, I'll add it.

Quote:
You can use this site to find ED numbers and then read through the
census pages for Paducah.

https://stevemorse.org/census/unified.html

Be sure to choose the census year you want from the drop down box at
top of the page.

Maybe you will find them on a census this way. It's possible that their
name got misspelled, or they weren't included in the indexing.
The 1870 census only has one ED for Paducah, and it's 172 pages long. I did consider going through it manually but yesterday with my headache, it was definitely not happening. I'm still not sure it's worth the effort since these aren't my ancestors, only cousins. I did try searching the censuses with limited details though - like I searched for anyone with the surname Garrett of any age in the whole county and there were few options, none the ones I was looking for.

The 1880 census has Paducah split up across 4 EDs, but adding up to the same 172 pages. Oddly, some have street names, but one of them doesn't. If I'm lucky, and if the brothers were still at the addresses they were listed at in the 1869 directory, and they're in one of the ED's with street names, I might find them that way. I'll look into it, but that's a lot of "ifs", lol. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The fact that all are missing is peculiar. Some Confederate die-hards left the country. Have you checked ship manifests? Raised in a border state (MO) with a bloody true civil war, I know there were stories of some leaving rather than stay and face or engage in continued hostility. Some just went into Mexico while others went further south. I assume Leander has census records for 1900...anything strange? I suspect that Jesse James was not in census records during those years — at least as himself. Did they stay (or resurface) in the same community?
The US didn't keep outgoing lists, and I haven't found any of them returning. There has been some suggestion they did move around the US - some of Thomas Jr's kids were born in Virginia, but then they seemed to move back to Kentucky. Then again, the fact that 4 of the brothers were in business together up to at least 1869 suggests they were a tight nit family who didn't split up all over the south or anything.

Leander is on the 1900 census, still in the same Kentucky county - there's nothing super weird about it apart from him apparently never marrying (it says he's single, but that could be wrong) - he's living with his nephew and sister. I think the nephew must be Hubert Harrison Garrett, son of Thomas Jr. Again, this suggests the siblings remained close.

Quote:
James and Leander buried in the same place and time is interesting. At their age there could have been an event (Fire, natural disaster, train wreck,). Any others with that date? Other Garretts ? Could there be a coroner’s report? I have struggled with confused or wrong birthdates on cemetery records...two brothers with dates switched in the same church yard.
Several of them seem to have been buried in the same cemetery in Paducah, but I only saw the same date for those two. Like I say, James's Find A Grave says he's less than 1 year old, but as far as I can tell the gravestone doesn't actually say that, so I'm a little skeptical.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...lee-s.-garrett
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...mes-r.-garrett

I can't find any other record of that particular death date so I can't say for sure. I've checked newspapers, but I think I only found mention of Caroline's death in 1911. Maybe I should double check - I really shouldn't try to do research when I have a headache.

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:32 PM

Well, according to the ED descriptions, Monroe Street should be on ED 124, which is only 48 pages. I went through it looking at everyone who lived on Monroe or Oak and didn't find anything that even looked remotely like Garrett. Without another address to look for, I'm not going through the rest of Paducah, it's just too big.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:37 PM

Did any of these people leave wills? A will should contain the names of their

children who were living at the time.

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Did any of these people leave wills? A will should contain the names of their

children who were living at the time.
Good thought:

Leander appears to have left a will - it's very short and only names his sister Carrie (Caroline), which at least supports the idea that he had no children: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...188&cat=423499

Weirdly though, it looks like it was probated in 1900, which doesn't make sense if he didn't die until 1901, so I guess his gravestone is wrong. Maybe that's why it's the same date as James.

Carrie then left a will too: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...188&cat=423499 - this also supports she had no children, since she only names a friend and a niece, Carrie Kindred. That's puzzling, because I haven't found any of her siblings had a daughter named after her. So I guess I am missing some children that someone had, but who?

Also weird is the fact that the history book daliowa shared seems to be very inaccurate. It says Thomas L Garrett Sr died 4 Dec 1842, but that's not possible since he's found on the 1850 census and his gravestone says he died 2 Dec 1856. Of course we know gravestones can be wrong, but his last child was also born in 1846. So, there's more evidence that the gravestone is the correct date. Granted, lineage books can be wrong too, but it's surprising they give such precise dates that are so wildly off. And there's no other Thomas L Garrett who was in Paducah at the time, so it has to be him.

This family is so convoluted.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

I've about had it with this family, lol. I'm trying to identify the relatives of Carrie/Caroline Garrett Mahoney named in this article: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7316...rrett-mahoney/

I found that Kittie Cooksey and Dora Paschall (maiden name Cooksey) are sisters, and Lillian Garret (later Meadows, daughter of Thomas L Garrett Jr) seems to be their cousin somehow (technically the 1900 census suggests Lillian is the cousin of Dora's husband, but I think that's a misnomer since it's Dora and Kittie listed as Carrie's relatives, not Dora's husband).

Dora and Kittie were born before 1880, so I went looking for them on the 1880 census, and can't find them. Kittie was also born before 1870, but I can't find her on the 1870 census. What is up with this family and the 1870/1880 censuses?!?!?!

If Kittie and Dora are Lillian's cousins, it means they should be the daughter of one of Carrie's siblings, and if their maiden name is Cooksey, it means their mother must have been a Garrett. Ann Garrett did marry Fernando Cook, but as far as I can tell, they have no surviving children together, and I don't see any indication he ever went by "Cooksey" instead of Cook. That mainly leaves Margaret Garrett, who I haven't been able to find. Even after searching for her as Margaret Cooksey, I get nothing. The only other sister left is Kitturah Garrett, who married George Green - but I guess theoretically she could have later remarried to Cooksey and had kids. But again, I have no idea because I can't find any of them in the 1870-1880 censuses!!!

I think I'm going to have to give up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy