U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

2,507 posts, read 5,073,457 times

Advertisements

My sister and I have both taken the AncestryDNA test, and I have access to her results. I would like to build a list of DNA matches that appear only in her results, but the tool I had used several years ago to download results is no longer available. Is anyone aware of a process for downloading matches? Alternatively, any creative suggestions for building this list? Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

9,670 posts, read 15,174,448 times
It looks like a Chrome Extension called "AncestryDNA Match Filter" might at least partially do what you're looking for, but it's limited by Ancestry's restrictions on Shared Matches (ie, it only includes estimated 4th-6th cousins and closer). The extension will remove all Shared Matches with any match. So if you go to your sisters match list and use this extension to filter out all Shared Matches with you, you'll be left with the matches that only appear in her results, but only among those estimated 4th-6th cousins and closer. This won't apply to the estimates 5th-8th cousins because they aren't included in the Shared Matches list. Better than nothing, I guess.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback. That's the previous tool I wasn't able to get to work. I need to go back and work on it a little more, I guess. Thanks again.

Old Today, 10:17 AM

16,037 posts, read 24,744,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Thanks for the feedback. That's the previous tool I wasn't able to get to work. I need to go back and work on it a little more, I guess. Thanks again.

What may be easier is to assign them a colored dot to say they do not share sibling DNA. I have a lime green dot for some matches that do not have my mother or my dad's brother but I tag it as not matching her since I don't have my dad's DNA I know what the dot means. You can do the same colored dot on your profile to show they don't match your sister.

I have shades of pink for matching on my mothers parents, a darker shade for her father and the lighter one for her mother. I'll then use lime green for not matching her so it stands out. I also utilize the note feature and date my note so I don't forget when I worked on that specific match. Then it's very easy to go down the line of your sisters matches to see the various green dots with notes.

Old Today, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What may be easier is to assign them a colored dot to say they do not share sibling DNA...
Thanks for the feedback. I use colored dots for similar but different purposes. Basically, I'm lazy and I'm trying to avoid working manually through all of her matches, since I have already reviewed the vast majority of them in my matches. I thought if I could download the results in something like a CSV format, it would be relatively easy to pick out the unique ones. Once again, it seems Ancestry would prefer us not to have tools to work on our own.

Old Today, 11:12 PM

16,037 posts, read 24,744,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I use colored dots for similar but different purposes. Basically, I'm lazy and I'm trying to avoid working manually through all of her matches, since I have already reviewed the vast majority of them in my matches. I thought if I could download the results in something like a CSV format, it would be relatively easy to pick out the unique ones. Once again, it seems Ancestry would prefer us not to have tools to work on our own.

Load your results on one device, your sisters on another and compare. I have 3 devices if I needed it.

I haven't marked up the ones I don't share with my 2nd cousins because my 1st cousin shares them, I just switch to their profile if I want to work with them.I figured out a lot of my matches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy