U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 06:31 AM

4,832 posts, read 16,727,622 times

Advertisements

I had a few minutes yesterday, so I hopped on 23 and Me to take a look at things, I recently got my results back.

I'm looking at a DNA match profile and checked the shared matches to see how we are connected. I see a confirmed handful from my mom's side, except for one! My half great niece is also on there. She is the granddaughter of my half sister, who is also my father's daughter from his first marriage.

I'm left to believe the connection would be on my half great niece's maternal side as her dad didn't show up.

Crazy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 10:22 AM

8,657 posts, read 9,319,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I had a few minutes yesterday, so I hopped on 23 and Me to take a look at things, I recently got my results back.

I'm looking at a DNA match profile and checked the shared matches to see how we are connected. I see a confirmed handful from my mom's side, except for one! My half great niece is also on there. She is the granddaughter of my half sister, who is also my father's daughter from his first marriage.

I'm left to believe the connection would be on my half great niece's maternal side as her dad didn't show up.

Crazy!
That is crazy, I want to try 23 and me.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:08 AM

16,696 posts, read 25,261,484 times
Quote:

Crazy!

Her dad will only show up if he tested.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Her dad will only show up if he tested.
Correct and my nephew did test. He shows up on my paternal side.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
That is crazy, I want to try 23 and me.
I did Ancestry first. Not only do I have an interest in my family history, but I'm also searching for a half brother who was adopted at birth.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:37 PM

8,188 posts, read 6,574,083 times
I did Ancestry, and my brother did 23 and me. I wanted to compare our results as I suspected we were only half siblings. Not only did I find out the truth, I also had a woman contact me and it turns out that she is my half sister, and she has a full sister. So at 61, I found out that I have 2 new siblings, and I know my paternity at last.

DNA testing turns up all kinds of stuff. One day I went out to lunch with 2 friends. It turned out that all 3 of us ladies had all found out about our biological fathers in our 60s. I guess there's a lot of that going around....

Old 05-12-2021, 10:56 AM

16,696 posts, read 25,261,484 times
Quote:
Correct and my nephew did test. He shows up on my paternal side.

Are you saying that she should match him but doesn't? If she doesn't show up on his matches, he's not her father.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:59 PM

10,888 posts, read 5,932,575 times
If your parents were never tested it is hard to figure out what side of the family tree your matches are on. Luckily I have a paternal-side 1st cousin who tested so that helps a bit. If someone matched both of us we can throw them in the paternal (German/Pomeranian) bin. It is my maternal side that is a problem -- That would be 50% Irish and 50% English/Dutch/Ukrainian/Walloon/German/whatever. And they made no effort to keep family lines simple or clear to conform to my family tree. They married people willy-nilly, even cousins. So I have Scandinavian, Balkans, Hungarians, Iberians, a few South Americans from Brazil and Chile and no idea where to put them.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Are you saying that she should match him but doesn't? If she doesn't show up on his matches, he's not her father.
No. I am saying they both match me, on my father's side. I am also saying my niece and I are shared matches with another individual on my mother's side.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:29 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,435,692 times
Quote:
No. I am saying they both match me, on my father's side. I am also saying my niece and I are shared matches with another individual on my mother's side.
You need to explore their tree. This is the granddaughter of your half sister right? Now she has her father and grandfather in the mix. You have several people that are not related to your father that could be related to your mother. Your half sister's husband, her son or daughter's spouse, and your half sister's mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy