Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 08:40 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,536,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Just as a curiosity, I think I'm my own first cousin three times removed. Same with my brother. Our gr-gr-grandmothers were sisters. Their kids were first cousins but married (my gr-grandparents) and had the same grandparents. My grandma was her own 1st cousin, once removed. My mom was 1st cousin, twice removed. So I would be 1st cousin, 3 times removed. I have maternal 1st cousins (maternal aunt's kids) but I can't figure out what they might be to me otherwise. They would be 1st cousins, 3 times removed to each other.
I need 2 aspirins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 10:03 PM

16,140 posts, read 10,822,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I need 2 aspirins
Follow me...

Old 11-06-2021, 07:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,167,300 times
Is it time for this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

My late husband and I found out that we're fifth cousins. I was sort of mortified by this but my husband always said "Hey, that sort of turns me on."

The thing that mortified me the most was when he told me his last name and where his parents were from, it was when we had just started dating and I immediately called the genealogist in the family, my dad, and I said "I'm not related to this guy am I?" and he said "No - the two families knew each other but never intermarried." Well, apparently someone knew someone in the biblical sense!

Old 11-17-2021, 10:26 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,453,332 times
Go back far enough and it is common you might find that a man might marry one sister, she dies, and he marries another than further down the line a descendant of the man and the first sister marries someone who is a descendant of the man and the second sister. Kathryn, don't worry about being fifth cousins. Far enough away that you probably shared little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy