Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 08:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times

Advertisements

husband's mother and wife mother share the same father but different mother
-is husband and wife first cousins?
-and what about their children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 08:48 PM

2,968 posts, read 1,642,545 times
Since the two mothers are half-siblings, not sure if the husband and wife are full first cousins.

Is there such a thing as half first cousins?

As far as their children, it would be too close for comfort for me.

Victoria and Albert were full first cousins, hemophilia seems to have originated with their union, with disastrous results for the royal families of Europe.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:40 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
Hawaiian royal family,the Egyptian pharoah dont seem to mind .

Old 10-31-2021, 02:01 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Since the two mothers are half-siblings, not sure if the husband and wife are full first cousins.

Is there such a thing as half first cousins?
Yes, they would be half first cousins.

Their children would be both siblings and half second cousins.

Quote:
Victoria and Albert were full first cousins, hemophilia seems to have originated with their union, with disastrous results for the royal families of Europe.
No, it's believed that Victoria was already the carrier for hemophilia when she was born, so it had nothing to do with her union with her first cousin. Apparently, the likelihood of spontaneous mutation of hemophilia is higher when the father is older, and Victoria's father was 51 when she was born.

Old 11-03-2021, 03:55 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
The thing that ruins incestual royalty is monogamy.

Most genetic defects are recessive, but as long as a King or Queen is allowed more than one mate once in a while, the dominant genes in a royal line will remain dominant.

But determining whether a genetic mixture makes a good or bad King is entirely human. Nature doesn't decide who is sound or defective. People decide that.

incest has produced quite a few deformed Kings who were exceptionally good leaders who displaced their genetically perfect predecessors. It also produced physical supermen who were mental idiots.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:13 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I have a man who is both my paternal great-grandfather and also my maternal great-great grandfather. He had two wives. My paternal side descends from one of those wives, while the maternal descends from the other.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:02 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
husband's mother and wife mother share the same father but different mother
-is husband and wife first cousins?
-and what about their children?
Husband’s mother and wife’s mother are half siblings. Their respective children are half cousins. I have a similar situation in that my grandmother married twice. Her children by her first husband are my mother’s half siblings. My cousins are technically my half cousins as we share one grandparent. Their children are my sister’s children’s half second cousins. As they share one great grandmother.

In the case you mentioned all is really too close for comfort dna wise. Intermarriage this close could result in problems.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:12 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
The funniest thing was finding out that my husband and I share a great something grandfather. The man had several wives the first my line the third my husband’s line. It was weird since his line on his mother’s side was mostly old New England which is the side of relationship. My father’s side is all French Canadian up until my Irish grandmother. The relationship goes back 11 generations to the French Canadian side with a name change on his side to a more English sounding name about 3 or 4 generations ago.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:09 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Just as a curiosity, I think I'm my own first cousin three times removed. Same with my brother. Our gr-gr-grandmothers were sisters. Their kids were first cousins but married (my gr-grandparents) and had the same grandparents. My grandma was her own 1st cousin, once removed. My mom was 1st cousin, twice removed. So I would be 1st cousin, 3 times removed. I have maternal 1st cousins (maternal aunt's kids) but I can't figure out what they might be to me otherwise. They would be 1st cousins, 3 times removed to each other.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:26 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times
My mom's sister married my dad's cousin. Nobody in my family married their own cousin, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy