Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 06:33 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,022,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I am the direct discendent of a man and wife who rented land and owned a tavern and butcher shop in Baltimore in the early 1800s. As a result that area was named after them. Their "hill" played a pivotal part in the battle of Baltimore in the war of 1812 and for Union operations in the Civil War. It was known as "Loudenslager Hill" and is currently is known as Butcher Hill. The area named after them at that time now includes Patterson Park as well as a portion of the campus of Johns Hopkins U.

There have been excavations of their Tavern and Butcher shop in recent years and many items related to their operations have been unearthed.
Small world. My father's mother was born in the Indian Territory, but moved to FL where my father was born. He moved to Texas when he was a young child but settled in Baltimore after WWII. Baltimore is where he became a butcher and, soon thereafter, an officer of the local Butcher and Meat Cutters' union. Now, my youngest, who was not born in Baltimore, owns a home near Patterson Park. He also worked at JHU for a while. I don't think we're related ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 09:27 PM

817 posts, read 629,264 times
My German ancestors all come from this tiny village in Germany called "Dachtel" and the current town mayor shares the same German surname as my German ancestors.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:20 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
My German ancestors all come from this tiny village in Germany called "Dachtel" and the current town mayor shares the same German surname as my German ancestors.
I looked up Dachtel on Google Maps, and I see it is located just 6 miles west of Boeblingen (which is just SW from the big city Stuttgart). There was a US Army post in Boeblingen that I went to many times in the 1970s while I was stationed in Germany, so I've actually been very close to Dachtel.

My German ancestors (parents of my maternal Grandmother) immigrated in the 1870s from Grabow, Mecklenberg, Germany (near Schwerin, the current state capitol) to Chicago. I visited Grabow in 2012 and found the church where my great-great grandparents got married. I did not find anyone with the surnames of my ancestors in the town, but there are likely some distant relatives in the area.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:05 AM

936 posts, read 824,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
My grandmother lived in three centuries and two millenniums.
I had a great-great-grandmother who did that too. She was born in 1798 and died in 1901. (Technically, three centuries and two millenniums.) I treasure her obituary from the small town in Iowa where she died. It went in-depth about her life and her family's history.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:28 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,924 times
Recycled, that was a heck of an old age for those times for your ancestor! I’m figuring in previous millennial changeovers, nobody lived over a hundred, so it’s probably just the handful like my grandma, who were born in the late 1800s and lived over a hundred years, who can share her claim.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I think this is pretty cool:

My grandmother had flaming red hair and that white, white skin that so many Scottish folks have. I inherited her quilt signed by all her grandmothers, her great grandmothers, her mother, etc. for her hope chest. I didn't until recently realize that every single name on that quilt is Scottish. My cousin's names on that side of the family include the name Bruce, as well as some other very "Scottish" names. I just didn't piece all this together because our family definitely identifies as American, but apparently she was actually of pure Scottish ancestry going back to before her ancestors immigrated here in the early 1700s. This was borne out by my dad's delving into his ancestry, but I don't know that it was intentional because she never, ever made any sort of big deal about being "Scottish" or whatever - she was as American as apple pie so to speak.

I do know that when I visited northern England a few years ago (some of her ancestors were from the border regions between England and Scotland) I realized very quickly that the food I was eating was similar to what I'd grown up with from my grandmother, and also I remember thinking "Grandmother would just love these people."

Interesting how things we don't even realize have been passed down for centuries actually are.

Old 04-27-2022, 04:48 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I'm a direct descendant of Robert Anderson, the man in command of Fort Sumter when the civil war started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...son_(Civil_War)

I've got Andersons in my tree.. Don't know if they were connected at all. The.. Most interesting one.. And I like to drum up the details on this story for a little humor.. All factual, but you gotta laugh, you know?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...-todd-anderson

John Todd Anderson. Was a missionary/doctor in China in the early 20th century. Got knocked overboard off a boat and drowned in the Yangztee Kiang.

So.. What's the proper way to honor someone so selfless that he was bringing medical help to the poor people of China and died of drowning while doing so?

Why.. a WATER FOUNTAIN, of course!

But wait.. it gets better. I know.. You all have these thoughts of beautiful, cascading water elements fitting such a heroic person.. While a bit.. Perhaps insensitive.. At least he has a pretty water fountain in his honor.

It's a drinking fountain.

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=21172

Old 07-16-2022, 09:59 PM

35 posts, read 18,221 times
Default Great grandmother

One of my great grandmothers had no intention of getting married. She lived in a small village in the Andes, was good with numbers and as a teenager was keeping books for her father's store which she intended to manage. Unfortunately, some ruffian had laid eyes on her and with a few friends kidnapped her to be his bride.
Her family did not rescue her and made peace with the ruffian. She had 12 children with him and then he died by staying outside in the cold after a drunken night.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:43 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,655 times
I was looking into our paternal line with another family member. We found the skeleton in the closet. Doesn't everybody have one? Previous to this discovery I'd had good thoughts about this fellow because he evidently gave a home to an older relative with 2 grandchildren. I'd wondered why the family split up a few years later... but finding more about him, I think I know why. Cirrhosis and another transmittable disease on his death certificate...not long after he fathered a child by some other woman and the wife had moved on and was remarried in another city. Not an outstanding fellow after all. Was sorta hard to read that. I wanted to believe he was a good guy.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:51 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
On my dad's side, my great grandma had a younger sister who got a fever when she was young. She recovered from the fever, but she was never the same. She was 'simple minded'.

She died in a nursing home as an old lady, but she was expecting her fiance to come and get her, and take her away. (There never was a fiance. It was just something she got in her head, and every day, she'd expect that he'd ride up and get her.

Her dad, my great great grandpa looked like Tom Selleck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy