Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 01:54 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

For members who love to hunt down genealogies I have what I think is an interesting one:

Lorna Young born 1936 possibly Salt Lake City or Ogden Utah

Mormon

Distant relative of Brigham Young, the Mormon leader who led the exodus of Mormons west to Salt Lake City in 1847.

Won 1954 title of "America's Prettiest School Girl" at age 17 in August 1954

Attended USC to study English intending to go into secondary education

Appeared on Groucho Marx's You Bet Your Life in January 1955 as an 18 year old, so sometime between August 1954 and January 1955 she turned 18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBEJZHbszvk

Mother's name is Viola Young of SLC; her grandmother is Mrs. Hermina Teuscher Dixon resided at 3005 Jackson Ave. Ogden Utah.

These are all the facts I could gather. I have run into a roadblock because I don't belong to any of the genealogy websites.

Is anyone intrepid enough to find out what happened to Lorna? If she's alive today she'd be 86.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 10:50 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Genealogical standard is to not give out personal info of living people without their permission, so I don't feel right about publicly posting info about someone potentially still living. I did try to private message you with her marriage details, but you're not accepting private messages, at least not from everyone.

Genealogy resources aren't always ideal for finding current contact info on living people anyway, if that's what you're looking for. Her marriage details might be found publicly, but if you're trying to locate her today, there is a sticky announcement that recommends using the People Search forum instead: https://www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

Old 09-25-2022, 12:21 PM

11,016 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Being Mormon, and directly related Brigham Young, I can't imagine that her information would not be included in genealogical records. Very puzzling.

I found a Lorna Ann Young in Paso Robles, California, born September 15, 1935, which would have made the Lorna in question 17 at the time she was named Prettiest Girl (just before her 18th birthday, age 17 per the newspaper article). There is an obituary on Legacy but it doesn't have a death date. Another oddity.

Viola Young in Salt Lake City on Truthfinder has no connection on Truthfinder to a Lorna. Yet another oddity. The Albert associated with her is 3 years older. Unless that was her brother or she married another Young, then it isn't her. One would think there would be records for both on Truthfinder. It's been my most reliable people search for years (paid subscription).

There's also a Lorna Young who signed a memorial page for a former classmate in Delta, Utah, 97 miles south of Orem.

There's a Ferra Marcel Young 1913-2009 related to a Viola Young 1923-2018, both of Orem. Too young to be Lorna's mother, unless she gave birth at age 12-13.

Interesting puzzle indeed.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Being Mormon, and directly related Brigham Young, I can't imagine that her information would not be included in genealogical records. Very puzzling.
It's not that surprising, more recent records are often not public, for privacy reasons, and like I say, genealogy resources are really focused more on older records. There are records of her on Ancestry and Newspapers.com from her earlier life and her marriage (she can easily be found on the 1950 census, her marriage announcement is on Newspapers.com, etc), but again, sharing them publicly and freely, not behind a paywall, wouldn't really be right if she's still living. If the OP is looking for her ancestry, we can share that, but the question was what happened to Lorna, presumably after she won the title of Prettiest School Girl. She went to college and then got married - that's as much as I'm willing to publicly share without knowing whether she's deceased or not. I did look for an obituary or death record but haven't found one yet so she may very well still be living and it's only right to respect her privacy.

Her parent are undoubtedly deceased, there's many records of them available, here's their Social Security info:

Name: Viola Teuscher Young
[Viola T Young]
[Viola Teuscher Teuscher]
Race: White
Birth Date: 13 Aug 1912
Birth Place: Ogden, Utah
[Ogden|]
Death Date: 3 Jul 2002
Claim Date: 22 May 1974
Father: John G Teuscher
Mother: Hermina K Walser
Citizenship or Alien Status: U.S. citizen.
Type of Claim: Evidence other than birth record submitted; U.S. citizen or alien allowed to work.
Signature on SSN Card: Viola T Young
Notes: 03 Apr 1995: Name listed as VIOLA TEUSCHER YOUNG; 21 May 1974: Name listed as VIOLA T YOUNG

Name: Lowell J Young
Birth Date: 21 Jun 1908
Death Date: 22 Aug 1997
Claim Date: 12 Mar 1973

Old 09-25-2022, 02:20 PM

Her parents are already well researched at FamilySearch: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/KWZP-QT5 (you will need an account to view, but it's free). None of their children are added/public so I'm guessing they are still living.

Old 09-25-2022, 06:27 PM

11,016 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Well y'all have shown me that I need to subscribe to more than just Ancestry and Truthfinder... Thanks for all that info. Right on!

I'm just starting to get back into the genealogy thing after some conversations with family.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:59 PM

First, Thank you, PA2UK and pathrunner for responding to my inquiry. The info you provided was most interesting and I greatly appreciate the work you put in to get this far. My PM is enabled with a blue check in the box so I can't understand why PA2UK can't send me a DM.

I should state at the outset I don't know Lorna or her family. I was 3 years old in Florida when she appeared on You Bet Your Life. I have no intention of contacting her if she is still alive. My interest extends only to knowing if she is alive and how her life turned out after seeing her numerous times on YBYL. I regularly see her when I search for YouTube videos of new episodes of YBYL and gradually I just got interested in what direction her life took. I'd love to see a photo of her to see what she looked like years later.

I am no researcher, that's for sure. My main roadblock: Ancestry requires you to put up your CC info and pay for 3 mo. on a "free" trial which they swear on a stack of Bibles they will give back to you at the end of the trial. So does Newspapers.com so I can't see that marriage announcement. Re 1950 census she was only 14 in 1950 but I imagine she would turn up in several censuses after that. I thought just googling in "Lorna Ann Young, Mother Viola Young Teuscher" would get me somewhere but no luck.

I found that obituary for a Lorna Ann Young in Atascadero Ca on Dignity Memorial but as you stated, no date or details. I would assume if she married per the announcement mentioned she would be using her married name which I do not know.

I did learn that she attended Olympus High School in SLC but that's of no use. I would have thought with all the info on her, her mother and her grandmother that just googling those three would turn up something but again Google is just not equipped for giving those kinds of results.

PA, if you cannot DM me could you rep me and leave some details of her marriage in the rep field?

And I just tried Truthfinder but none of the results mention Salt Lake City. Trying Lorna Young in Salt Lake City yields nothing.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 09-25-2022 at 09:12 PM..

Old 09-25-2022, 11:08 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
First, Thank you, PA2UK and pathrunner for responding to my inquiry. The info you provided was most interesting and I greatly appreciate the work you put in to get this far. My PM is enabled with a blue check in the box so I can't understand why PA2UK can't send me a DM.

I should state at the outset I don't know Lorna or her family. I was 3 years old in Florida when she appeared on You Bet Your Life. I have no intention of contacting her if she is still alive. My interest extends only to knowing if she is alive and how her life turned out after seeing her numerous times on YBYL. I regularly see her when I search for YouTube videos of new episodes of YBYL and gradually I just got interested in what direction her life took. I'd love to see a photo of her to see what she looked like years later.

I am no researcher, that's for sure. My main roadblock: Ancestry requires you to put up your CC info and pay for 3 mo. on a "free" trial which they swear on a stack of Bibles they will give back to you at the end of the trial. So does Newspapers.com so I can't see that marriage announcement. Re 1950 census she was only 14 in 1950 but I imagine she would turn up in several censuses after that. I thought just googling in "Lorna Ann Young, Mother Viola Young Teuscher" would get me somewhere but no luck.

I found that obituary for a Lorna Ann Young in Atascadero Ca on Dignity Memorial but as you stated, no date or details. I would assume if she married per the announcement mentioned she would be using her married name which I do not know.

I did learn that she attended Olympus High School in SLC but that's of no use. I would have thought with all the info on her, her mother and her grandmother that just googling those three would turn up something but again Google is just not equipped for giving those kinds of results.

PA, if you cannot DM me could you rep me and leave some details of her marriage in the rep field?

And I just tried Truthfinder but none of the results mention Salt Lake City. Trying Lorna Young in Salt Lake City yields nothing.

Your profile is pretty locked up. The only option is to send you a message via email. The only way I get a private message option is to click your name in your reply above, send a private message which then gives me the error below. You may have it set to only allow messages from friends.

This would be the privacy setting - You may limit the receipt of private messages to just moderators and your contacts. Other members who attempt to send messages to you will be told that you have disabled private messaging.
Receive Direct Messages only from Contacts and Moderators

Quote:
thrillobyte has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove thrillobyte from the recipient list and send the message again.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Your profile is pretty locked up. The only option is to send you a message via email. The only way I get a private message option is to click your name in your reply above, send a private message which then gives me the error below. You may have it set to only allow messages from friends.

This would be the privacy setting - You may limit the receipt of private messages to just moderators and your contacts. Other members who attempt to send messages to you will be told that you have disabled private messaging.
Receive Direct Messages only from Contacts and Moderators

I cannot understand this. Under "Settings and options" then scroll down to "Messaging and Notification" then "Direct Messaging" it says "If you do not want to send or receive direct messages, you may disable the direct messaging system." and then I have the box "Enable Direct Messaging" checked with a blue box and white check. It'd be so much simpler if they just said "Enable" and "Disable".

Right under it is "Receive Direct Messages only from Contacts and Moderators." and I have that box also checked.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I cannot understand this. Under "Settings and options" then scroll down to "Messaging and Notification" then "Direct Messaging" it says "If you do not want to send or receive direct messages, you may disable the direct messaging system." and then I have the box "Enable Direct Messaging" checked with a blue box and white check. It'd be so much simpler if they just said "Enable" and "Disable".

Right under it is "Receive Direct Messages only from Contacts and Moderators." and I have that box also checked.
That means you've restricted it to only allow messages from your contacts and moderators... you'll need to either uncheck that second option, or add whoever you'd like to be able to private message you to your contact list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy