Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 10:48 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You don't have a lot of matches, any idea why?

I have a several hundred fewer than that. Only about 200 have been assigned, over 4000 are 'unassigned'.

That's what happens when you're from Europe and both your parents were born in Europe and never left Europe. Pretty much all my matches on Ancestry (that aren't just random coincidence) are people descended from family members who emigrated to America in the 19th century. It's fascinating to track it back though and see how people did and where they went once they came to America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 11:42 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I have a several hundred fewer than that. Only about 200 have been assigned, over 4000 are 'unassigned'.

That's what happens when you're from Europe and both your parents were born in Europe and never left Europe. Pretty much all my matches on Ancestry (that aren't just random coincidence) are people descended from family members who emigrated to America in the 19th century. It's fascinating to track it back though and see how people did and where they went once they came to America.
Almost the same with me. My grandparents moved here but most of the family stayed in the old country.

Can't get matches if people don't take the test and I don't think it's that popular in Eastern Europe.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:08 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Almost the same with me. My grandparents moved here but most of the family stayed in the old country.

Can't get matches if people don't take the test and I don't think it's that popular in Eastern Europe.
There are no Ancestry sites in Eastern Europe so I doubt DNA testing is offered there. I’m not sure it’s even legally allowed. Heck back in 2012 I remember consumer DNA tests were illegal in two U.S. states. Americans in those two states used to drive to neighboring states to mail in their spit sample.

Back in 2013, Ancestry.ca did not offer DNA tests to Canadians. So I tested with 23&Me instead. I had to mail my spit sample to the U.S. for analysis. I remember the kit included a special customs label (not the usual one for parcels) and I had to write “human specimen” on the customs form.

Two or three years later, Ancestry.ca started offering DNA testing and I mailed my spit sample to a Canadian address for analysis.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:06 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
Quote:

I only have about 6000 matches. All of my great-great-grandparents were born in Europe.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:20 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
I first tested with Ancestry, then uploaded from that to My Heritage, and Family Tree. Recently, my older daughter tested with 23 and me, so I did so as well. Have tested with ALL of them.

If you are a female an important note is that you will only get your father's X chromosome DNA from his female ancestors. Keep this in mind.

Of course, a DNA match has to test with the same company you did to be a match.

Very easy to figure out who was Parent #1 and Parent #2 based on the countries assigned to each. Mom (Parent #2) was basically all Southern Italian and Dad (Parent #2) was basically all British and Irish. I got a small percentage of Greek and Basque from Parent #2 (Mom). Thought so. Small percentage of Scandinavian from Parent #1 (Dad). Figured that as well.

DNA matches from my 1st Cousin through 3rd are all Parent #2. I only have my 1st and 2nd Cousins (Stared Matches with Common Ancestor). No surprise since I grew up with them, and they tested with Ancestry.

It is not until I get to 4th to 6th Cousins DNA Matches that Parent #1 (Dad) shows up. Maybe because my Dad's family did not test with Ancestry? I do think that being female also plays a major part in this. I only have 3 "unassigned" matches.

A lot of people do not have a tree so it is difficult to know how they are related. I do have a tree on Ancestry. I contacted two close matches, and they looked at my tree and we discovered how we were related from that.

My older daughter, who tested with 23 (no trees), only recognized ME with her matches. lol However, I did recognize my 3rd cousins which were her 4th. Told her who they were. My Mom's relatives, again. If your parents are still alive, an added bonus for them to get tested!!!

Old 10-10-2022, 10:12 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
When I mentioned earlier that I was designating my matches to one side or the other I should have said that I did it by surname in the notes, not by using the more recent "Do you recognize them" function where you can designate which side. If I used that at all it was fewer than a dozen matches. I know which side the surname affiliation is on, so I never switched to the newer function. But Ancestry was still able to match most (I think) of the matches to the right side. Some dozens of the unassigned group have a surname note attached.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:16 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
My father came alone to Canada from Austria when he was a teenager. His siblings stayed in Austria. My grandfather was an only child, his father having died a year after being married. Ancestry doesn’t have a web site for Austria and probably doesn’t offer DNA testing there.

My maternal German ancestors came to Canada from 1892 to 1920 from Galicia and Volhynia, both now part of Ukraine. I have an elderly direct ancestor who, along with some of her adult children, were shipped off to Siberia from Volhynia by Tsarist Russia in 1915 and presumably died there, as they were never heard from again.

My more distant maternal relatives, whose ancestors had come to Galicia in the 1780s, were forceably repatriated back to Germany in 1939-40 because of a deal between Stalin and Hitler. Both Galicia and Volhynia were part of Poland between the two world wars. Some of these distant cousins immigrated to North America after WWII, but not many. Some descendants appear to be in present day Poland but Ancestry has no Polish website.

Note to anyone who has relatives who were involved in the 1939 Resettlement: There are records online of those who were relocated to Germany. Some of these records have photos of the individuals! Unfortunately some photos were stapled to the backs of records instead of the front and the backs were not microfilmed.

That's fascinating. I thought I remembered you with having a lot of matches from previous threads here but it's been a while since this section was busy

Surprising that my MIL born in Germany has a little over 7,000 matches. Not many assigned parent 1 or 2 though, most unassigned. I wish I knew her story but she would not talk. All I know is they spoke Polish.

I have about 3,000 showing on the side view matches page at ancestry. I have more matches on my heritage, a lot in Europe. Most people in Europe test there so it's worth uploading.

Quote:

Only siblings of my maternal grandparents came here before my parents so I don't have a lot on Ancestry. I didn't realize how many were my dad's side until this parent 1 beta even though I have his brothers DNA. I have a lot of matches marked not matching my mother or uncle so it had to have been my dad's side. I guess it's a huge loss not having him alive to test.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:14 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
There are no Ancestry sites in Eastern Europe so I doubt DNA testing is offered there. I’m not sure it’s even legally allowed.
AncestryDNA is available in many parts of what Ancestry defines as Eastern Europe (though Ukraine and Russia are notably not among them): https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...A-is-Available

Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Moldova, etc. Whether it's popular in those places is another question.

Old 10-12-2022, 02:33 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
One of my matches was a woman in New Zealand (?). I contacted her through Ancestry and discovered that she was originally from England. Found out that we shared the same Great-Grandfather. I always knew that he had an out of wedlock son who grew up in a Home for Boys in England from my research, and later reunited with him and came to America with his Dad's new family.

From this woman I learned that he also had an out of wedlock daughter, who was her grandma. We got our DNA matches from him. I am a descent from him and his marriage years later in life.

If you can, contact your DNA Matches. You might learn more about your family history than you were aware of.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:39 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
One of my matches was a woman in New Zealand (?). I contacted her through Ancestry and discovered that she was originally from England. Found out that we shared the same Great-Grandfather. I always knew that he had an out of wedlock son who grew up in a Home for Boys in England from my research, and later reunited with him and came to America with his Dad's new family.

From this woman I learned that he also had an out of wedlock daughter, who was her grandma. We got our DNA matches from him. I am a descent from him and his marriage years later in life.

If you can, contact your DNA Matches. You might learn more about your family history than you were aware of.
I've learned quite a bit from messaging DNA matches. For instances, I've learned through a half-3rd cousin and a half-1C2R that my 2x Great-Grandfather had another set of children with another woman after his wife(my 2x Great Grandmother) died and that's how we're related. It would have been difficult to make the connection with 100% certainty using census records because none of the children he had with this second woman bare his family name because they didn't marry and he doesn't appear at all in census records with this woman and their offspring. A few days ago when this new sideview feature of parent matching appeared on my account, I get two new matches showing as "2nd cousins". It turns out at least one of the two is actually my half great-grandaunt(my great grandmother's half-sister) and the mother of the half- 1C2R I had messaged to confirm this. I strongly believe that the other new 2nd cousin" is also a half-great-grandaunt, since the given name matches the name of one of the children I found in census records and what the half-3rd cousin had told me as being their great-grandmother. Since my great-grandmother(my mom's paternal grandmother) has long since died back in the 1980s, her having (20+years younger) half-siblings still alive with their results available it's as close I can ever come to knowing her ancestry results would've looked like.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-12-2022 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy