Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:34 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times

Advertisements

Two people with identical names from a pool of population where the surname is very common. The place of birth is in same county, all you can find is a month/year for birth (which is the same for both people), but the parentage is vague or hard to track. The two people were even in the same branch of service, enlisting roughly around the same time.

I was in brief contact with someone on Facebook to whom I thought I was a third cousin. The information I had on his grandfather (who he never knew. his grandparents divorced in the 1940s, she remarried but her son kept his father's surname) was so close to the person I was researching in my family line. I wasn't absolutely sure, so I made sure that I told this person it was a tenuous investigation. Unfortunately, that person got a little excited ("oh wow! I never knew my grandfather! this could be so interesting!) that I found it embarrassing to say "oops! wrong person! Sorry. BYE!" Not that I was so abrupt

The FB connection was helpful, they supplied that one little bit of information that made the difference between having a correct or trashed branch, and I did turn over to them all the information I had collected about their relative. Still, I haaate when information about people is akin to being one decimal place off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I've run into "name dopplegangers" a few times in my research.

One of my great-great grandfathers was Nehemiah Nicholson born in 1850 in Camden County NJ.
There is another Nehemiah Nicholson, born 1849 in Camden County, who is my Nehemiah's half-nephew. But their records are all mixed up in several people's trees, and most historical records make it really unclear which Nehemiah it is. And just to torment me, my Nehemiah was married to "Ellen" and the other Nehemiah was married to an "Ella."

To make it even more fun, there is a completely unrelated Nehemiah Nicholson in that county at the same time, but he's a little older, born in Delaware, and served in the Civil War. I found several people wanting my Nehemiah or the half-nephew Nehemiah claiming the Civil War service, even though our Nehemiahs would have been like 12-13 years old (and even if they served at such a young age, it would not have been in a Delaware unit).

Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
For that matter, it can be s surprising how many people have shared the same unusual names.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
For that matter, it can be s surprising how many people have shared the same unusual names.

Seriously.

I've googled a number of names, thinking them so unique that very few people would use them (Bathsheba?), only to find sources pointing to people all over the place with the name.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:42 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Mine are known doppelgangers! My grandfather's name is shared 100 times over within our own family. Matter of fact, I have 2 uncles with his first and last name.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,697 times
It's still happening My fourth cousin and I share the same name (last name common, first name not) were born the same year and grew up in the same city and graduated in the same high school class (160 students in our class, not huge). I used to get called to the principal's office a lot, the principal would take one look and say "not you, the other one" and send me back to class.

My dad and my cousin both shared names and approximate birth years and city of residence with men in her family, and my grandmother got lots of sympathy calls when dad's name doppelganger died.

I've documented this in my tree for future generations. They will be confused.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:16 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
My grandfather's name is literally one of the most common names in the English-speaking world. I have run into literally hundreds of people with his name.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:29 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
I have run into this several times. It is common with Irish genealogy because of the whole "clan name" thing, you can have many different families with the same last name, none biologically related all living in the same area. And they are not particularly creative with the first names either with sons named after father and daughters named after the Mother.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
My grandfather's name is literally one of the most common names in the English-speaking world. I have run into literally hundreds of people with his name.
John Smith? (my gg-grandfather. boy, am I having fun with that branch )

Old 11-09-2013, 02:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
John Smith? (my gg-grandfather. boy, am I having fun with that branch )
First name, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy