U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:20 AM

5,812 posts, read 17,725,596 times

Advertisements

Ever tried?

I traced (so far) my Dad's family back to 13th century England.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 07:34 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,958,353 times
A distant cousin created our family's history website. I found it by googling my family's last name.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,589,327 times
My great aunt started the search for our family tree on my maternal grandmother's side quite a long time ago. She was able to trace several branches back quite a ways, one clear back to the 1300's. She became stuck on a couple of branches and unable to finish the line back on them before her passing. I have now picked up where she left off and have been able to find a bit more info. about one of the family names she was stuck on, but I still have not been able to get any further back.

Another great aunt or second cousin has been doing the research on my maternal grandfather's side.

It has been fun learning about the names and history of my ancestors.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:53 PM

78 posts, read 449,225 times
So how do you start a project like that. I've looked at a few websites and never found anything. And most places required paying to access the site first anyway. Got any good websites for researching?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,589,327 times
What I found to be the most helpful in my searches is start with what you know and as far back as you know it. (i.e. grand parents or great grandparents....) If you know aproximate dates and places of marriages or births or deaths it gives you a starting point.

The LDS has a free online search at Familysearch.org that you can enter in a name and if there is any records with that name it will bring them up. The more info. (i.e aprox year of birth or death or marriage and any spouse names) you have on the name you are searching the the more helpful in finding more info. about your ancestors.

USGenWeb is also another great site as each state is trying to put as much free info. on the internet as possible.

You can register for some of the free searches on websites like Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com. I have found that even just being able to access the 1880 and 1900 census records has been very helpful.

Another search tool I use is Google. Sometimes I have found info. about a relative by doing a name search and look to see if anyone has a family tree online that may have my relative in it some how.

I have also googled for death indexes, birth indexes, marriage indexes for what ever state I know my ancestors have lived in. Or I have also googled for census records for states and sometimes counties within a state. I have found a couple of less known sites with free census records.

Doing an Ancestry search can be time consuming and it takes a lot of detective work, but for me it is also very fun and I have met some really dynamic people along the way. Like just recently a couple of really awesome people on the People Search forum on this particular website were really helpful in providing info. I enjoy the fact that I can pass on the info. that myself and my relatives have gathered on to my children. It's a neat feeling knowing where I came from and how I got here.

Good Luck if you decide to do an ancestry search.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:56 PM

I went to MyHeritage and downloaded their family tree builder. I typed in what I knew. Fortunately, someone else had the same branch and I copied his info. I traced my family back to Alured de Valer, who fought in the Battle of Hastings.

John Waller, from the book "Roots", is also a descendant of mine.

One of my ancestors had a sister-in-law who was a descendant of King Duncan of Scotland.

I'm currently working on finding out anything about my Great-Grandmother, but nothing has come up. Ancestry.com has the info, but I'm a teenager with no money to pay for it.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 PM

My family's history website has music when the site comes up. The music is the theme song from Mission impossible !

Old 10-02-2008, 03:27 PM

I'm getting there.

But it's a slow process sometimes. I have hit a few brick walls.

It is so difficult to get records for free. You have to have some kind of monthly subscription to these sites.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 10-02-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-03-2008, 08:10 AM

My dads family is from Germany and my cousins efforts hit a brick wall at the German border.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:27 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,388,024 times
I tried that stuff got absolutely no were very quickly, so instead of getting depressed over that ordeal i just look at it like i don't really care were i came from the most important thing is were i'm headed present time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy