Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:08 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times

Advertisements

I'm interested too! I've been working on my genealogy for about 15 years. It seems to be a never-ending quest. It seems that answers bring more questions. I love it! I have "met" several cousins while working on genealogy. If I could get paid to work on genealogy, I'd do it full-time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 PM

261 posts, read 954,273 times
What I have done in the past, and had to pack away to move during Christmas; I would put each family name in a seperate 3 ring binder, with file folders in there to seperate different branches within the family (sister, brother and so on...) and the file folders will contain any and all paperwork that I have for each family name.
Does that make any sense? I have about 2 shelves full of family binders plus BOXES and boxes of papers that dont fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Looks like we have the beginning of a good group!

I would like some input on the best ways to organize all of the paperwork. I have deeds, birth/death and marriage certificates, military paperwork, school transcripts, etc...I would like to know how all of you keep it together...by family, person, by type of documents...

There are a few great websites that explain it but I would like to hear from others what seems to work best!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM

287 posts, read 549,000 times
I'm interested, but I still have such a hard time finding these things out! I think half of my family is completely clueless as to where we come from!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
Count me in, too...Would it be in "Social Groups"??? I know there have been many requests for a Genealogy Forum or Sub Forum...I think it would be a great way to learn more ways of doing research.. as I know we have all hit that "Stone Wall" in looking for relatives...sounds like fun!!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
I'm interested too! I've been working on my genealogy for about 15 years. It seems to be a never-ending quest. It seems that answers bring more questions. I love it! I have "met" several cousins while working on genealogy. If I could get paid to work on genealogy, I'd do it full-time!
Cabe90 and others:

If we want to start a group we [1] need a name for it, [2] a forum for it and [3] to advertize it - unless we want to keep it private.

Most groups focus on a surname or a specific area. My ancestors were early settlers in NY colony, Province of East NJ, PA, OH, IL, KS and OK. I know nothing about other areas except a Principality in the Netherland ruled by a Prince-Bishop. Since the diocese was not a state, province, region, county or country, and it was owned by the House of Habsburg for at least five hundred years it has been a real challenge to explain where it was located. Unfortunately the defacto "city, county, state" designation does not apply in this case and neither does "country."

Where do we go from here? Suggestions?

Last edited by linicx; 01-13-2009 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM

202 posts, read 358,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathernichole View Post
I'm interested, but I still have such a hard time finding these things out! I think half of my family is completely clueless as to where we come from!
I agree. It interests me, but I really have nowhere to start!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:13 PM

Default Organizing important papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Looks like we have the beginning of a good group!

I would like some input on the best ways to organize all of the paperwork. I have deeds, birth/death and marriage certificates, military paperwork, school transcripts, etc...I would like to know how all of you keep it together...by family, person, by type of documents...

There are a few great websites that explain it but I would like to hear from others what seems to work best!
I say a box, but that is too easy.:-) LOL. I use a couple of different methods. I keep a file on each family. Once I copy important papers I put them in a safety deposit box. Once the papers are safely tucked away, I burn the whole file to a CD and put it inthe safety deposit bos too. This way if there is ever a fire, the data is not lost. I have a cousing who has a fireproof safe the size of a gun cabinet at home. Everything important goes in the safe. I personally think the bank is a better investment.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 PM

Default Start at the begining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdytoGo View Post
I agree. It interests me, but I really have nowhere to start!
Assuming you know who your parents are and where they were born, start there. Your mom and dad's birth certificate should list the names of your grandparents on each side and where they were born. Work backwards one generation at a time. I've had good luck with county message boards, state archives, federal and state ceusus, cemetery and church records, and also county biographies.

Some ancestors are doubly difficult to find. I traced Hobart for 10 years and placed him pre-RW with Paul Revere before I discovered he was a step-great-great-grandfather who was not related at all!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I say a box, but that is too easy.:-) LOL. I use a couple of different methods. I keep a file on each family. Once I copy important papers I put them in a safety deposit box. Once the papers are safely tucked away, I burn the whole file to a CD and put it inthe safety deposit bos too. This way if there is ever a fire, the data is not lost. I have a cousing who has a fireproof safe the size of a gun cabinet at home. Everything important goes in the safe. I personally think the bank is a better investment.
Well, I have not gotten that far yet...I was thinking about making 2 copies of all important papers so I will not have to give the original undue wear and tear... then I need a filing system...afterwards I will put the originals in the bank where I also keep all my negatives.

How do you organize/file your things, besides a gigantic box?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:58 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Cabe90 and others:

If we want to start a group we [1] need a name for it, [2] a forum for it and [3] to advertize it - unless we want to keep it private.

Most groups focus on a surname or a specific area. My ancestors were early settlers in NY colony, Province of East NJ, PA, OH, IL, KS and OK. I know nothing about other areas except a Principality in the Netherland ruled by a Prince-Bishop. Since the diocese was not a state, province, region, county or country, and it was owned by the House of Habsburg for at least five hundred years it has been a real challenge to explain where it was located. Unfortunately the defacto "city, county, state" designation does not apply in this case and neither does "country."

Where do we go from here? Suggestions?

How about just calling it the genealogy group, for simplicity's sake? Do we keep it closed or open? It does not matter to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy