Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Well, I have not gotten that far yet...I was thinking about making 2 copies of all important papers so I will not have to give the original undue wear and tear... then I need a filing system...afterwards I will put the originals in the bank where I also keep all my negatives.

How do you organize/file your things, besides a gigantic box?
You have a good idea. If it doesn't work then you'll develope a system that does. Truthfully, I have piles and files as I am in the process of writing a book. Many of my files are on the computer where I can access them readily. If I had better sight I would probably have a better system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
How about just calling it the genealogy group, for simplicity's sake? Do we keep it closed or open? It does not matter to me.
I just closed my genealogy group in the Social Groups section here at C-D for lack of participation a day or two ago. I can re-open it and maybe I can even change the title. I called it All Things Genenalogy because sooner or later someone will ask about software.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You have a good idea. If it doesn't work then you'll develope a system that does. Truthfully, I have piles and files as I am in the process of writing a book. Many of my files are on the computer where I can access them readily. If I had better sight I would probably have a better system.
Haha! Do you scan the originals into the computer? I have thought of that as well...my husband said "why get organized now whnen you have lived in disarray your entire life?" Somehow I need to prove him wrong.

This sounds like a good idea to get a group started. Can't wait.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Default OKay

Quote:
Haha! Do you scan the originals into the computer? I have thought of that as well...my husband said "why get organized now whnen you have lived in disarray your entire life?" Somehow I need to prove him wrong.

This sounds like a good idea to get a group started. Can't wait.
You asked for it. I"ll see if I can open it back up now.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You asked for it. I"ll see if I can open it back up now.
I had never heard of it! Sorry to put you through the trouble!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 AM

As the Aussies say, "No worries mate!" I always like that statement. Genealogy Group is open, I think. Try Social Groups and look for it. If you can't find it, Seach "groups" at the very bottom of the Social Groups page and see if it opens. If not, I will go to Plan "B" and try again. .

Old 01-14-2009, 02:14 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Looks like we have the beginning of a good group!

I would like some input on the best ways to organize all of the paperwork. I have deeds, birth/death and marriage certificates, military paperwork, school transcripts, etc...I would like to know how all of you keep it together...by family, person, by type of documents...

There are a few great websites that explain it but I would like to hear from others what seems to work best!
All my records so far are electronic and I have a free family tree builder in which I can link each document to the correct person/people's name(s). My mom has a lot of hard copies she hasn't given to me yet but she's going to scan them in and send them to me so I will organize them the same way. I don't know how she organizes her hard copies of stuff.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
linics.. I found the Genealogy group...and posted...I think a Forum would be easier...What does everyone else think???

Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 AM

261 posts, read 954,273 times
I found the group, but I think Trudeyrose is right, a forum would be easier

Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I found it as well and asked to join
I agree with Trudeyrose a forum may be easier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy