Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:49 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
This is changing the subject somewhat, but I have a question about human migration that is a puzzle to me: Most linguistic schematic representations of human migration and corresponding language development show the Indo-European or Mother Tongue emanating from or near the Anatolian Plateau in present-day Turkey. However, the findings of archaeologists, such as Dr. Leaky and others, suggest Africa as the place of origin of human beings. A link to a fairly recent article follows:

www.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/science/01eden.html

If the link fails, please do a search on the following:

New Survey Suggests Modern Humans Originated in Southwest Africa

Assuming that languages developed correspondingly with human migratory patterns, wouldn't we expect a model showing language originating in Africa?
Any ideas on this?
----------

John

Leaky studied different species of Homos dating to more than 3-4.000.000 years ago.

Our current specie, the only existing Homo specie in the world, is the Homo Sapiens Sapiens. This specie originated in today's South Africa some 200.000 years ago after a long evolution.

Homo Sapiens arrived in Europe 40.000 years ago. In Europe, they found a different Human Specie, the Neaderthals, that evolved from earlier migrations of Homos to Europe and Near East (2.000.000 years ago).

Neaderthals became extinct 30.000 years ago and only Homo Sapiens Sapiens remained in Europe and elsewhere.

Until 4.500-5.000 years, all Western European inhabitants were in the Neolithic Stage and were practically the same people. Archeologist divided them according to their pottery and works, for example, Bell Beaker and Megalitich, Printed Cardium pottery and corded ware.

The Indoeuropean Invasions from Maykop (a region between the Black Sea and the Caspian sea) invaded Europe and brought havoc, practically extinguishing a large part of "Neolithic" Europe, since they brought bronze weapons and horses.

Indoeuropeans extinguished most of the male lineage in Western Europe, except in isolated area, and they imposed their culture, their language, their religion, that later adopted many different names such as Celtic, Ibearin, Latin, etc.

That's why Old Germanic, Latin and Greek and Sanskrit have identical roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 02:58 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A very cool interactive map illustrating recent theories on human migration.

JOURNEY OF MANKIND - The Peopling of the World
Really cool Ovcatto !!! as your interactive map is the best post on this thread .

Old 06-30-2009, 04:07 PM

594 posts, read 1,778,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A very cool interactive map illustrating recent theories on human migration.

JOURNEY OF MANKIND - The Peopling of the World
Ovcatto,

Thanks for posting the interesting migration map. One observation I made is that migration markers for Polynesian migration seem to be omitted. Perhaps it's because there isn't enough solid information yet. There is some thought that the Polynesians may have island-hopped to South America. Also, there is speculation that the Phoenicians, for one, may have found their way to South America long before the time of Columbus. I wouldn't be surprised that evidence will be found that people came to the Western Hemisphere by routes other than the Bering Strait. Perhaps the pieces of the puzzle will be completed some day. Anyway, thanks again for posting the informative map.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
John,

Perhaps because the speculation on migration of humans to Polynesian is relatively recent, some as some posit, no more than 3,000 years ago.

Genome Scan Shows Polynesians Have Little Genetic Relationship To Melanesians

Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 AM

6 posts, read 15,845 times
People in Europe for the most part have very similary gene pool.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thankyou Trudy !!! as i don't know why certain people keep mentioning race as a majority in Europe all are Caucasians with different subclasses of them as the DNA Haplogrouping subclades are bearing this out.....
The word "race" has a history of loose and casual use, before it got rammed into four rigid color categories, especially by the late 19th century. Of course, now we are very sensitized to the use of the word because of the great evil done in the name of these color categories "races."

However, I've seen references - pre-WW II especially - to the Irish, Italian....etc.etc. races. However, sloppy the usage it seems to be intended more on the order of the way we are inclined now to use the word "ethnicity." In my own youth I heard flowery St. Patrick's day references to the Irish "race."

Old 11-10-2009, 03:21 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
this is why I am against hyphenated origins [Itialian-American etc]....that make me Ssots-Irish-English-Norwegan-German-French-Spanish-Italian-Polish-American.....and probably a few more that I"ve missed along the way......

SO....is there a social club for me?????

Old 11-10-2009, 04:21 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
this is why I am against hyphenated origins [Itialian-American etc]....that make me Ssots-Irish-English-Norwegan-German-French-Spanish-Italian-Polish-American.....and probably a few more that I"ve missed along the way......

SO....is there a social club for me?????
I'm afraid so .but not at CD

Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devereaux17 View Post
People in Europe for the most part have very similary gene pool.
They do as it's called the R1b Haplogroup which is found highest today in Western and Central Europe as some believe it's possibly from those migrating Celtic cultured peoples starting around 1,000 b.c. when they resided and migrated all over western and Central Europe going back to 1,000 b.c.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:20 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
They do as it's called the R1b Haplogroup which is found highest today in Western and Central Europe as some believe it's possibly from those migrating Celtic cultured peoples starting around 1,000 b.c. when they resided and migrated all over western and Central Europe going back to 1,000 b.c.
Where did you get that halogroup information? Anything we can look at online?

Well, here's a start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1b_(Y-DNA)

I just wondered where the %'s were from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy