Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

My father in law has done this to a certain extent and the weird thing we found out is his grandfather's name is the same one we chose (first name) for our son...!

I only found this out a few weeks ago so it was very odd! I know various relatives in my family have done 'ancestry' traces but I haven't heard much about the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 02:01 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
nice thing about family trees.....ya end up with relatives that are crazier then the ones you already have

Old 11-06-2009, 02:36 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Was your Tree done professionaly? I did mine through Ancestry.com and I don't know if I "buy" everything I found.. For example I got back to the 600's Some of the names I did try to verify and am pretty confident, but some are just "too good to be believed"
Ancestry has multiple incorrect items from when we gave a relative information on family (* which was correct) and he posted it (without our permission and/or citation) incorrectly.

Take everything there with a grain of salt.

Use the censuses, use the books (like the "Vitals of __town___, MA to 1850", or the AGBI or draft records or any govt. record and consider it correct. I look at the pattern of a "tree" there and look for where I can verify info. Most people are in such a hurry to post, they get it uncited and/or wrong.

Yes, we have been doing family for almost 40 years and we are back in Europe ( England and Wales). We got very lucky with some relatives who came with Gov. Winthrop to found Mass. Bay Colony -- very well documented. We had people back to 1740 - 1800 and found those people in the AGBI (which is used by genealogy libraries) and DAR records.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post

6 FOOT 3 - I'm envious that you had the good fortune of excellent documentation. It's so frustrating to have ancestors who wouldn't let grass grown under their feet long enough to establish decent roots.
Well that's only because we've been in the same 4 or 5 counties for around 200 years as farmers as that kept them put and not to venture north or out west etc. and so it was not very hard getting the info .

However on my mon's side is a totally different story as i've given up on that side of the coin .

Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Yup. I traced us back to Sweden, when the language barrier brought me to a screeching halt. Also back to England when I sort of came to a screeching halt, too.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:42 PM

149 posts, read 548,378 times
Absolutely take the trees on ancestry.com with a grain of salt. But they can be a decent starting point for doing your own research. Confirm everything with a census record or two - marriage, birth and death records - try www.findagrave.com to confirm birth and death dates.

Ancestry.com does offer some great, easy to use resources such as their census data but the trees they have are only as good as what people post - and many (most?) of them are pretty bad.

And back to the OP's question, I've researched my paternal side back to 1630 when the family first arrived in Mass. colony. I've accumulated over 650 documents to back up my findings and posted everything on a family-only website. My maternal side was already very well researched, documented and published by a 3rd cousin.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:53 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
In the golden years of my grandma in the 80s she followed the maternal line by to the 6th century kingdom of Dal Riata. Before the internet and I remember her and randpa taking lots of trip to find stuff out.
Dál Riata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times
I am fortunate in having a researched and published book (no, I did not publish it) on my maternal grandfather's side. I can trace Richard back to 1630 when he arrived in Massachusetts on the Ship Elizabeth.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:20 AM

206 posts, read 1,134,827 times
Trudy,

Would that be Richard Sears? I also am from that line and my family has that very large book, although I don't happen to have it in my possession, my sister has it.

I grew up in southeastern Mass and Sears was my maiden name... and the end of our line as there are 4 girls in my family and my father was an only child.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfarmlady View Post
Trudy,

Would that be Richard Sears? I also am from that line and my family has that very large book, although I don't happen to have it in my possession, my sister has it.

I grew up in southeastern Mass and Sears was my maiden name... and the end of our line as there are 4 girls in my family and my father was an only child.
No, the name is Kimball. They left Ipswich, England in 1634 (not 1633).
The book I have was written by Leonard A Morrison & Stephen P. Sharples.."The History of the Kimball Family" 1897. Did your Richard Sears also come over on Elizabeth? I know there is a passenger list for that ship on line. I also grew up in Mass.. near Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy