U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM

13,138 posts, read 38,421,843 times

Advertisements

So who here at City Data has traced their family tree be it paternal, maternal or both??

We had our paternal family tree done back in the 1980's and so we know that our great patriarch ''William I'' left the port city Plymouth in Devonshire SW England on a ship in 1789 and came to America (South Carolina) to be a tobacco sharecropper.

Anyone else on here??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 AM

4,620 posts, read 13,840,272 times
My mother's side was done in the 1960s/70s (England to Plymouth Colony and Mass Bay Colony 1600s); I finished my mother-in-law's in 2007 (France to Canada in the 1700s to America in the late 1800s); I haven't touched my father-in-law's just yet (England to SC? 1700s? with Swedish and Cherokee lines mixed in); I'm currently working on my father's (from ? to Portsmouth NH area in 1600s, with others from England to Mass Bay Colony in the same time period). I had hoped to 'publish' my father's tree by Christmas - which isn't going to happen because my database is a tangled mess of branches.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,090,721 times
Was your Tree done professionaly? I did mine through Ancestry.com and I don't know if I "buy" everything I found.. For example I got back to the 600's Some of the names I did try to verify and am pretty confident, but some are just "too good to be believed"

Old 11-06-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Was your Tree done professionaly? I did mine through Ancestry.com and I don't know if I "buy" everything I found.. For example I got back to the 600's Some of the names I did try to verify and am pretty confident, but some are just "too good to be believed"
lol no, I don't "buy" it all either. In many cases I'm confident with most of the information I've gathered back to the mid to late 1500s, and only because I pay close attention to the sources quoted. Once you move before that timeframe, the info is just too sketchy and yes, too good to be true in many cases. The number of times I have have found the same perpetual untruths about one of my family lines linked to royalty makes me laugh. Or that my Jeffrey the Original's father was James from Scotland - also not true and yet it still shows up everywhere all the time (the professionals in the US and in the UK have searched and not found Jeffrey's origin.)

My trees were done by me (just an amateur), and I rely extensively on ancestry.com etc to get the ball rolling. But I rarely take that info as definite and cast in cement, and afterwards will go to other sources such as Vital Records and censuses and birth/death certificates to confirm or deny the ancestry.com data.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,090,721 times
So what you're saying is that I'm not really related to Charlemagne???

Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 AM

13,138 posts, read 38,421,843 times
Quote:
Was your Tree done professionaly?
Who are you asking ??? .

I know that my aunt (Dads sister) paid to have it done professionally back then in Charleston as it wasn't very hard to dig up the marriage, birth and death certificates since my paternal family stayed the same 4 county region around Charleston for 200 years and so we got a very good detailed report of names, dates and locations etc. all the way thru to my paternal Grand Dad who was born in 1915.

To this day i have tons of paternal relatives who reside in South Carolina/Georgia that i've never met and i probably never will get to meeting them all.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 AM

15,370 posts, read 36,662,682 times
Quote:
A few years ago, a mathematician at Dartmouth [I think] proved [mathematically] that EVERY person of Western European descent shares ONE common ancestor.....Charlemagne......

Hi Cousin

Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
A few years ago, a mathematician at Dartmouth [I think] proved [mathematically] that EVERY person of Western European descent shares ONE common ancestor.....Charlemagne......

Hi Cousin
Hi cousin :-)

My "royal" line was supposed to go back somewhere and connect up with Princess Diana's line -- it doesn't (or I should say no one has actually proved it). So, I stopped practicing the royal wave.

6 FOOT 3 - I'm envious that you had the good fortune of excellent documentation. It's so frustrating to have ancestors who wouldn't let grass grown under their feet long enough to establish decent roots.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 AM

15,370 posts, read 36,662,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Hi cousin :-)

My "royal" line was supposed to go back somewhere and connect up with Princess Diana's line -- it doesn't (or I should say no one has actually proved it). So, I stopped practicing the royal wave.

Mine [allegedly] does the same....it connects to the spencers [Lady Di and Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill] which also makes Elizabeth Andrew Borden a 6th cousin as well as Humphry Bogart and Lady Godiva.
Fun to talk about but I haven;t proven it yet.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:25 AM

22,769 posts, read 28,438,217 times
Quote:
lol

ancestry told me I was cousins with George W and George H Bush. Not sure if I believe that. Not sure if I WANT to believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy