Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times

Advertisements

if that were true...where was my wedding invitation!?

im direct form the uk, and according to our family tree were closer related to gypsies and slaves than the crown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 12:49 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Frasier Crane to his brother Niles: We're not royalty. We're descended from theives and whores.
There have always been plenty of thieves and whores among the nobility.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:14 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Really. I didn't realize there was a difference.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
I think this might be true. I have been doing research on Geni and I found I am decended from Robert the Bruce, and a bunch of Kings and Queens. I am connected to Kings of Scotland, France and nobility of France, Germany, Holland and Belgium. They are like my 25 great grandfathers. If you can find one connecting ancestor, the computer does the work. Since the advent of computers, there have been many genealogists who have been doing this research and computerizing it so if you find a connecting ancestor, the computer does the work for you. Its taken me a couple of years though to find these connections. I did not work at it steadily though.

P.S. I have been wondering ....if this is the case, how come I am sitting here and not in some castle somewhere. LOL

Last edited by ToriaT; 06-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I think this might be true. I have been doing research on Geni and I found I am decended from Robert the Bruce, and a bunch of Kings and Queens. I am connected to Kings of Scotland, France and nobility of France, Germany, Holland and Belgium. They are like my 25 great grandfathers. If you can find one connecting ancestor, the computer does the work. Since the advent of computers, there have been many genealogists who have been doing this research and computerizing it so if you find a connecting ancestor, the computer does the work for you. Its taken me a couple of years though to find these connections. I did not work at it steadily though.

P.S. I have been wondering ....if this is the case, how come I am sitting here and not in some castle somewhere. LOL

Babble that at the wrong time will get you 60 days in a nice, quiet place...not a castle, but a govt run "palace"...........

Hey, I've found I'm a direct descendent of Mary, Queen of Scotts...you know, the one who had her head cut off, and through her, I am a descendent of James V, of Scotland & England.......and I'm not in a castle, either

Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Really, let's think about this....

If you trace your lineage back far enough, all you will find is royalty. They were the only ones with means to create a record. They were the only ones educated enough to be able to read and write, and the only ones able to afford the materials, storage, etc to create durable records. There were plenty of peasants, etc, around, too, but they didn't have the means to create lasting records.

So, you go back far enough, you either find royalty or nothing! Like I said, I'm related to Mary, Queen of Scotts, and we go back beyond that---my blood line goes back to Alfred the Great---top that!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Really, let's think about this....

If you trace your lineage back far enough, all you will find is royalty. They were the only ones with means to create a record. They were the only ones educated enough to be able to read and write, and the only ones able to afford the materials, storage, etc to create durable records. There were plenty of peasants, etc, around, too, but they didn't have the means to create lasting records.

So, you go back far enough, you either find royalty or nothing! Like I said, I'm related to Mary, Queen of Scotts, and we go back beyond that---my blood line goes back to Alfred the Great---top that!
I haven't found any yet in my ancestry because my focus so far has been just in the Americas (I haven't found any Canadians yet, but I'm hoping!), but it does make some sense that if you're related to one royal you can find many others, because royals tended to marry other royals to make matches that were political in nature -- you married off your princesses to princes in countries you didn't want to attack you. The princes married them for the money.

Look at Queen Victoria -- she had her descendants in many courts over Europe and Russia.... WW1 pitted cousin against cousin -- German's Wilhelm the 2nd was Victoria's grandson and Russia's Empress Alexandria was also Victoria's granddaughter and I believe Nicholas II was also related somehow and King George of England was Victoria's grandson.

On one hand, I'd love to be related to royalty. It would make it so easy.... but then I also love the digging and finding part. I can remember when I found out that my 3rd great grandfather was a man of some stature in his small community. It was like unlocking a treasure trove of information. I opened up the treasure chest and dug out all the gold.... But after I went through it all, I felt a let down.... there was nothing else to know.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 PM

419 posts, read 465,803 times
Or................................if you're religious, you could just end it all and say that we're all related to Adam. So it all goes back to one guy in the end anyway - royals, chimney sweeps, peasants and all. :-)

Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post

The European royals are all related to each other, that's why so many turned up in your research.

Castles are cold and drafty, and very expensive to maintain. These days, the owners rent them out, or parts of them, for needed income.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
I have several lines of English ancestry, and William the Conqueror is in my "tree", though it's obviously very hard to verify information going back so long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy