Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:26 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times

Advertisements

I started researching my family roots in a local "Family History Center" courtesy of the Mormons before personal computers were available. It wasn't long before shuffling so many papers became quite difficult, so it was a huge 'blessing' when computers came along and the Mormons came up with free genealogy software.

There may be more bells and whistles on commercial software that you buy but I am totally content with my "PAF" Personal Ancestral Software available for instant download free at the main Mormon family history website:

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

All you have to do is fill in a simple form before you download. They also provide free updates but the current version is very advanced, they have vast resources available for genealogical research, that's one of their church "missions". (I am LDS myself.)

Anyone have stories about genealogy software and how it has helped them get organized as the family tree begins to grow?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times
First.. I"m so happy to see this new Forum
Last year my son paid over $300 to Ancestry.com so I could do a Family Tree...I got over 700 names,so I guess it was worth it. However there was not much I could do with the info through them unless I wanted to spend more $$$ for books, publishing, etc.
A few weeks ago, just before A.com expired, I downloaded the Personal Ancestral File. WOW!!! I was ablel to transfer all the data into this file and can arrange and print it in many different ways. Just great!!
Do you have the "Companion"? I'd like some info before I download that..like how do the 2 programs work together?? Any info would be appreciated.. Thanks

Old 11-06-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
First.. I"m so happy to see this new Forum
Last year my son paid over $300 to Ancestry.com so I could do a Family Tree...I got over 700 names,so I guess it was worth it. However there was not much I could do with the info through them unless I wanted to spend more $$$ for books, publishing, etc.
A few weeks ago, just before A.com expired, I downloaded the Personal Ancestral File. WOW!!! I was ablel to transfer all the data into this file and can arrange and print it in many different ways. Just great!!
Do you have the "Companion"? I'd like some info before I download that..like how do the 2 programs work together?? Any info would be appreciated.. Thanks
I have downloaded several versions of PAF "Companion" but never got around to using it. I think it just merges right in with PAF and gives you a few more options, especially printing. I think "Companion" is also available for free download at:

My wife has used the paid ancestry.com program and says it's good, they have some data that is not available free at familysearch.org. But I suggest that newcomers start at the free site first, maybe their data is already available there.

Another interesting online feature available from the Mormons is the entire King James version of the Bible online. MOD CUT

Last edited by linicx; 11-09-2009 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: This is a genealogy forum. Please visit the C-D Relgion forum to discuss religion

Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times
Thanks.. I know there is a free one, and also one that is about $8.00..which I'd gladly buy..What I really want to do now is to print out the data I have in an interesting way on nice paper.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
I could not agree more Justa.....I started with the LDS site and still use it continually....one thing that should be stressed [for the Non-Mormons among us]

NO missionaries will comes knocking at your door and no one will pressure you in any way.....With the LDS site FREE is FREE.

I do advise getting the Companion software for the PAF....can't remember the name....but it makes pringing out the data so much easier and it's only around $10.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:15 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
Along with ancestry I've also used the familysearch site extensively as a jumping off point. I find these two sites, along with NEHGS, as the most valuable, and rank rootsweb much further down the list.

Fair warning with familysearch, that even though it contains a wealth of great information, some perpetual untruths show up (such as what I mentioned on another thread that my Jeffrey the Original's father was James from Scotland - not proven and probably not true.)

As for the software I use, I wasn't aware of PAF. I use a very old version of Family Origins that has a few bells and whistles, but it so convenient and easy and unconfusing. With it I can download gedcoms and they'll automatically be converted to readable/usable Family Origin files. I think most users of this software upgraded to Family Treemaker or something like that.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Do you have a download link to the genealogy software? I just went looking through the site and for whatever reason couldn't see it.

I keep hoping to find one that lets me input data on a standard pedigree form, rather than only via the "individual records". I have ancient dog pedigree software (a DOS app from 1992) that has this feature, and it kinda ruined me... none of the newer programs I've seen can do that!

BTW I can second what you said, no one will come knocking on your door because you used the LDS site and software. (I'm not a Mormon, but some of my friends are.)

Old 11-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Do you have a download link to the genealogy software? I just went looking through the site and for whatever reason couldn't see it.

I keep hoping to find one that lets me input data on a standard pedigree form, rather than only via the "individual records". I have ancient dog pedigree software (a DOS app from 1992) that has this feature, and it kinda ruined me... none of the newer programs I've seen can do that!

BTW I can second what you said, no one will come knocking on your door because you used the LDS site and software. (I'm not a Mormon, but some of my friends are.)
There's a "Download PAF" link in the lower right corner:

Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
thanks again for posting that link Just......it's the BEST software I have seen.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
What a great site, I have been wanting to find out more about my family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy