Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 06:06 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times

Advertisements

I was among the pioneers of DNA ancestral mapping having donated blood for this project more than ten years ago. Results are fascinating with close DNA findings for me being as diverse as Czar Nicholas II of Russia and John Adams a founder of the USA.

I suggest GeneTree, they work with Sorensen which now has their software on I think as many as a billion computers worldwide.

Here's a link:

Welcome to GeneTree - Revolutionizing Genealogy

But make no mistake, you're still going to have to do the traditional research if you want to find your great great etc. ancestors by name. I suggest the Mormon site, it's free and has the largest genealogy databases in the world. You can do an instant online search to find out if your family tree is already available at the following link: familysearch.org

Does anyone have stories about DNA ancestral mapping they'd like to add to this thread?

Last edited by linicx; 11-09-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 AM

7 posts, read 7,675 times
I knew that the Mormans have always been interested in Geneology, I just never knew why. Can you enlighten me?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRaces View Post
I knew that the Mormans have always been interested in Geneology, I just never knew why. Can you enlighten me?
My best guess is baptism by proxy (posthumous conversion). Here's a link with a little information about the controversial practice.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRaces View Post

Mormons take genealogy and family history seriously because we take the Holy Bible seriously, including the last two verses of the Old Testament: Malachi 4: 5-6

Elijah was the last prophet to hold the sealing power of the Melchizedek Priesthood before the time of Jesus Christ. He appeared on the Mount of Transfiguration with Moses and conferred the keys of the priesthood on Peter, James, and John Elijah appeared again, with Moses and others, on 3 April 1836, in the Kirtland Ohio Temple and conferred the same keys upon Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery. All of this was in preparation for the second coming of the Lord, as spoken of in ]Malachi 4: 5-6.

The crowning sacraments of Latter-day Saint temples are the sealing ceremonies that unite men and women and children in eternalfamily relationships. Latter-day Saints believe that these sealings and other ]temple rites may also be performed by proxy for those who have died. Consequently, genealogical research or family history is, in Latter-day Saint belief, the essential forerunner for temple work for the dead. In Latter-day Saint belief, the dead have the choice to accept or reject the services performed for them.
1 Corinthians 15: 29

From early in its history, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints encouraged its members to research their family history. In 1894 the Genealogical Society of Utah was established for that purpose. During the 20th century, extensive negotiations were conducted with governments and custodians of public records to preserve birth, marriage and death records by microfilming them. More recently, microfilming has given way to digital technology.

Recognizing that millions of people throughout the world have their own reasons to be interested in family history, the Church makes its collections of microfilmed and digitized records freely available to everyone.

The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, is the largest genealogical library in the world and provides access to many collections of records, with more than two billion names of deceased people. Over 700 staff and volunteers assist patrons with family history work. Approximately 1,900 people visit the library each day.

The Church has established over 4,500 family history centers in 70 countries, with access to many of the resources at the main library in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The Church also operates one of the most popular genealogical services on the Internet free of charge/ The site contains a billion names from over 110 counties and territories including the 1880 United States Census, the 1881 Canadian Census, the 1881 British Census, the Ellis Island database and the Freedman’s Bank Records. However, most of the Church’s vast collection of genealogical resources is yet to come online. [b]The Church is undertaking a massive digitization project to bring most of the additional collection of the Family History Library online over the next few years/

Because genealogical records are irreplaceable, the Church has constructed a climate controlled storage facility in Utah which houses more than 2.3 million rolls of microfilm and 180,000 sets of microfiche.

[url="http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/background-information/genealogy-family-history"][

You can anonymously learn more about our religious beliefs online:

Help turn the hearts of the children to their fathers. Volunteer to help digitize the world's vital records and make them available on the internet free of charge to everyone everywhere. Volunteers of all religious persuasions who have some free time and access to the internet are invited to help with this massive project.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/indexing/frameset_indexing.asp

Last edited by linicx; 11-09-2009 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Genealogy, no scriptures, please.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
With all due respect to those that are members of the Church of the Latter Day Saints, all Christian denominations take the Holy Bible seriously.

I have no problem sharing my family information with Mormon interest in genealogy. I do NOT, however, accept the LDS practice of "sealing" my parents, grandparents or any of the rest of my family as members of the Church of the Latter Day Saints after they have passed away.

As you said, it is your "belief" that the dead can accept this or reject it. A "belief" is not a fact. This is not the forum to debate religious beliefs, so I am choosing not to hunt that dog.

The question was answered as to why Mormons are so interested in genealogy.
You have answered that in part.

I personally do not believe this is the appropriate forum to teach people about your church or provide more than was asked, simply because of it's interest in genealogy. If it was, then we would all be posting links to information about our specific religious beliefs or denominations.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
....The question was answered as to why Mormons are so interested in genealogy. You have answered that in part.
It is my opinion that I responded as fully as I knew how to an honest question about why Mormons put so much time and money into genealogical research. I realize that I'll never please everyone on this forum, but what "part" did I miss in your opinion? Maybe I can do better...

Old 11-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
It is my opinion that I responded as fully as I knew how to an honest question about why Mormons put so much time and money into genealogical research. I realize that I'll never please everyone on this forum, but what "part" did I miss in your opinion? Maybe I can do better...
That is up to you to divulge. As I said, I am not going to get into a debate about religious beliefs.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
That is up to you to divulge. As I said, I am not going to get into a debate about religious beliefs.
In short, the devout LDS want to have their whole family join them in heaven. In order to do that, they have to find them to convert them posthumously.

But frankly -- you're wanting to know that sort of does mean you have to let them talk about their religious beliefs.

By the way, I'm a Methodist. In case you think I'm proselytizing.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In short, the devout LDS want to have their whole family join them in heaven. In order to do that, they have to find them to convert them posthumously.

But frankly -- you're wanting to know that sort of does mean you have to let them talk about their religious beliefs.

By the way, I'm a Methodist. In case you think I'm proselytizing.
Actually, I didn't ask someone else did....just have been down this road before. This is a new forum and getting off to the right start will allow it to be helpful to everyone. I'm backing off because I'm not a moderator. They can provide guidance if needed.

I'm just glad CD created another avenue for people to exchange tips and information. It's been a long time coming because many people go to the individual cities asking for help searching for relatives. I wish we could have some sub forums for "states" at least....but this is a great start.

Back to the DNA topic....we used "FamilyTreeDNA". I was checking out their site yesterday and the entire concept has come so far from the time we were tested.

here's the link: Family Tree DNA - The World's Only Newsletter Dedicated to Genetic Genealogy

They now go all the way out to 64 markers as most others do. If anyone isn't sure about what they will find, just google "[surname] DNA" and if there is a significant study going on, it will show up in the results.

Their stats indicate that if your markers match 3% of other markers, there is a likely chance that you share one ancestor in common. Interesting that since my husbands last name is common, we didn't come close to matching anyone with the same last name or anyone in this country. We did match .01% of about 20,000 people in the UK of Viking decent....(Haplogroup I1)
Keep in mind that the DNA studies are not as prevalent in other countries, so the chances of getting matches is not because there aren't any relations, it's because the stats don't exist yet.

It's really fascinating even if you don't make a match. I would recommend starting with 12 or 25 markers and seeing if you make a match. If you don't,
there is no need to extend markers and spend unnecessary money. The web site will explain.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
I wasn't offended by his post. I think he did a good job of explaining his church's commitment to genealogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy