Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,340 times

Advertisements

I recently came into contact with a distant cousin (connected on the family tree at my great-great-grandparents) who has a very detailed family tree with over 600 people. I was surprised to see that I have a large portion of my family in Brazil!

As a family that is mostly Eastern-European Jews, it was cool to see that I have a large number of dark-skinned Brazilian cousins.

I hope I can go to Rio and meet some of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
I have ancestors from early New York when it was a Dutch Colony, and one of the things I read was that a lot of Brazilian Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jews emigrated there in the late 1600's, because the Portuguese took over Brazil, and decided everyone had to be Catholic... or leave.

So yeah -- it's really possible.... and pretty darn cool.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:40 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have ancestors from early New York when it was a Dutch Colony, and one of the things I read was that a lot of Brazilian Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jews emigrated there in the late 1600's, because the Portuguese took over Brazil, and decided everyone had to be Catholic... or leave.

So yeah -- it's really possible.... and pretty darn cool.
One of my more remotely connected ancestors married the daughter of the Dutch Reformed minister who came to New Amsterdam after the fall of the Dutch colony in Recife, Brazil. They were settled in Nieuw Amersfoort (now Flatlands, Brooklyn) and Polhemus became the minister in their church.

My maternal grandmother's family/ies all started out in the New Netherland colony. They were the Van Voorhees, the Bantas and the Alyea families. Parts of the latter two moved to Canada after the American Revolution and that is my branch.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
One of my more remotely connected ancestors married the daughter of the Dutch Reformed minister who came to New Amsterdam after the fall of the Dutch colony in Recife, Brazil. They were settled in Nieuw Amersfoort (now Flatlands, Brooklyn) and Polhemus became the minister in their church.

My maternal grandmother's family/ies all started out in the New Netherland colony. They were the Van Voorhees, the Bantas and the Alyea families. Parts of the latter two moved to Canada after the American Revolution and that is my branch.
It is so fascinating to see how many people we're connected to. I am curious to know if I am related to any of my friends in any way. After all, most of our presidents are actually related somehow, even Dick Cheney and Barack Obama are related!

I remember watching a special on Genghis Khan and how he is personally responsible for the DNA of like 8% of the population of a large part of Asia and .5% of the world's population.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Default Dutch and Jews in Pennambuco (Receif) 1631-1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
I recently came into contact with a distant cousin (connected on the family tree at my great-great-grandparents) who has a very detailed family tree with over 600 people. I was surprised to see that I have a large portion of my family in Brazil!

As a family that is mostly Eastern-European Jews, it was cool to see that I have a large number of dark-skinned Brazilian cousins.

I hope I can go to Rio and meet some of them!
Not necessarily, it was not Brazil, it was the Receif where the Jews and Dutch lived. My ancstor was there too. The Jews from Holland that settled on the Receuf left and re-settled in New Amsterdam Here is a link.

JewishEncyclopedia.com - RECIFE (PERNAMBUCO):

Old 11-14-2009, 04:11 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
I was surprised to confirm some native Canadian ancestry a couple of years ago. So many families have a legend of native North American lineage, I had thought that might be the case. But no, they're listed in Canadian government records as natives.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:46 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
I was surprised to find out that my English ancestors came from an area that is only about a 30 min drive from where I live now (I'm an American living in England).

Old 11-15-2009, 10:18 AM

94 posts, read 257,705 times
More Canadian than I knew... both English & French... and a few other surprises.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:35 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I was surprised to find out that my English ancestors came from an area that is only about a 30 min drive from where I live now (I'm an American living in England).
If i'm ever fortunate to visit England i plan to visit and kiss the ground in Plymouth to commemorate our great patriarch William who left in 1789 to come to America .

Old 11-15-2009, 10:58 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
If i'm ever fortunate to visit England i plan to visit and kiss the ground in Plymouth to commemorate our great patriarch William who left in 1789 to come to America .
lol I haven't kissed the ground but it was very cool to visit the town where my English ancestors were from. I'd also love to visit the towns in other countries that my other branches were from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy