Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 12:14 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,309,787 times

Advertisements

The reason I ask is I found some interesting information about the Houston (as in Sam) family. They left N. Carolina and moved to Tennessee about my gggrandmothers parents birth. Her last name was Houston and family lore is that she's related to his part of the family. I know the county and state, but this is the early 1800's. I'd just like to see if any matching names appear. She was supposedly his neice.

She went to Texas after my grandmother was born since she couldn't take the cold weather in Minnesota and she had close family there.

I'd just like to see if this is a complete story or might have some validity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 01:18 AM

37,217 posts, read 41,441,923 times
Samuel Houston Family Tree

General Sam Houston Lineage - Genealogy

He had five brothers:

http://www.blountweb.com/samhouston/chronology.htm

http://genforum.genealogy.com/paxton/messages/934.html

You could look for a family tree at Ancestry.com, too

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 01-14-2015 at 01:32 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 09:24 AM

4,894 posts, read 4,843,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The reason I ask is I found some interesting information about the Houston (as in Sam) family. They left N. Carolina and moved to Tennessee about my gggrandmothers parents birth. Her last name was Houston and family lore is that she's related to his part of the family. I know the county and state, but this is the early 1800's. I'd just like to see if any matching names appear. She was supposedly his neice.

She went to Texas after my grandmother was born since she couldn't take the cold weather in Minnesota and she had close family there.

I'd just like to see if this is a complete story or might have some validity.
Sam Houston is in my wife's tree (his mother, Elizabeth Paxton is my wife's 4g grand aunt). He was born in Rockbridge county, VA and his family moved to TN in 1796-1800. Sam had 8 siblings, 6 born in VA and 2 born in either VA or TN. As far as I have researched, they were never in NC. He was married in Alabama and later moved to Texas.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 AM

7,532 posts, read 13,692,010 times
Take a look at the free Rootsweb website, where you will find 63 GEDCOMs of other researchers work on the Sam Houston line. Of course not all 63 agree on details, and will branch off in various directions, but you may pick up a few tidbits. Also you can contact these researchers via the website.

RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project Global Search

Old 01-14-2015, 03:57 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,561,500 times
I'm not sure what it is called, but there is a Texas website that details TX founders & others like rangers.

This might help. It has Houston family member's histories.
Sam Houston Memorial Museum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy