Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:49 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The 1940 Substitute is basically just a bunch of directories which don't tell you much beyond the person's name and address. There were several Matthew Smith's that came up in Providence, RI but there's no way of knowing which one is the one you're looking for.
I only saw one glimse of a Mathew J. so I wondered what the whole record was. It's mathew with one T, so that's a less common spelling, and also there were other relatives in Providence, so I think it's a good bet that's where he went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 04:08 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I only saw one glimse of a Mathew J. so I wondered what the whole record was. It's mathew with one T, so that's a less common spelling, and also there were other relatives in Providence, so I think it's a good bet that's where he went.
Do you mean this? The trouble with the directories search is that it will give you results if "Mathew" and "Smith appear anywhere on the page at all, not necessarily together as the same name. This is the only one I can find which has Mathew J. Smith as one name.
Attached Thumbnails
Ancestry.com Look Ups-mathew-j-smith.jpg  

Old 12-16-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
This is a kind and generous thing you're doing, thank you. Any chance someone could look up Alvah R. Cummings ............. wife was Jenny (Wheeler) Cummings. They were from Maine, I believe he was born in Gray, Maine.
Hope you don't already have all this: I found a 1900, 1910, 1920 and 1930 census and a WWII Draft Card. PM me with your email address if you want the original docs. Here's the transcriptions:

1930 United States Federal Census about Alvah R Cummings
Name: Alvah R Cummings
Home in 1930: Abington, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Birthplace: Maine
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Jennie B
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Alvah R Cummings 46
Jennie B Cummings 34
Jessie A Cummings 13
John R Cummings 11
Jennie A Cummings 10
Esther E Cummings 9
Mary A Cummings 7
Elsie V Cummings 2 9/12
Charles G Cummings 5/12

1920 United States Federal Census about Alva R Cummings
Name: Alva R Cummings
Home in 1920: Bethel, Oxford, Maine
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Jennie B
Father's Birth Place: Maine
Mother's Birth Place: Maine
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Alva R Cummings 36
Jennie B Cummings 24
Jessie A Cummings 3 5/12
John R Cummings 1 9/12
Jennie A Cummings 6/12

1910 United States Federal Census about Aliah Cummings
Name: Aliah Cummings [Alvah Cummings]
Age in 1910: 27
Estimated birth year: abt 1883
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birth Place: Maine
Mother's Birth Place: Maine
Home in 1910: Whitman, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Marital Status: Single
Albert L Vaughan 58
Annie H Vaughan 50
Aliah Cummings 27

1900 United States Federal Census about Alvah Cummings
Name: Alvah Cummings
Home in 1900: Bethel, Oxford, Maine
Birth Date: Aug 1883
Ethnicity: American
Relationship to Head of House: Servant
Father's Birthplace: Maine
Mother's Birthplace: Maine
Marital Status: Single
Residence : Bethel Village, Oxford, Maine
Irving Wilson 37
Arvilla D Wilson 32
Hiram H Wilson 75
Mary O Wilson 73
Minnie I Wilson 7
Elwin L Wilson 2
Alvah Cummings 16

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about Alvah Randell Cummings
Name: Alvah Randell Cummings
Birth Date: 7 Aug 1883
Birth Place: Bethel
Residence: Plymouth, Massachusetts
Roll: WWII_2372748

Old 12-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Thanks, pa2uk. Now I have the 9 Cole St. address which I didn't have before. Can you find Hanna(h) A. Smith in the same directory?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks, pa2uk. Now I have the 9 Cole St. address which I didn't have before. Can you find Hanna(h) A. Smith in the same directory?
No, not in the same directory but there's this, she can be found at the same address from 1935-1945... but if they were married, wouldn't they be at the same address? This is why I don't find the directories very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Ancestry.com Look Ups-hannah-smith.jpg  

Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 PM

30 posts, read 129,245 times
Angry Need help finding my long lost grandfather!

Quote:
Just thought it'd be good to start a thread for this - if you need an ancestry.com look up, just ask here and I'll be happy to help. I imagine others would be willing to as well - anyone?

Just don't abuse it and ask for like 10+ look ups, we're not going to research your entire family tree - if you have that many look ups, it's worth it to pay for at least a months worth of access to ancestry.com. One month isn't going to break the bank.
Thank you so much for offering this. I need help finding my grandfather. My family is being very elusive about him and his past. I don't know what the deal is. I never met him and know very little about him. I can't even find his grave site on FindaGrave.com which is very strange considering I found his other family members there and THEY won't even help me. Pretty rude and makes me wonder as well. I don't understand the point in geneaology if you have no interest in getting to know your own father's or grandfather's grandchild. All I do know is his date of birth, where he lived, how he died, the date he died on, and the county. Yet, with all that, I haven't been able to find his death certificate or where he is buried.

Anyone? someone? Please?

Thanks

Old 12-18-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyllen View Post
Thank you so much for offering this. I need help finding my grandfather. My family is being very elusive about him and his past. I don't know what the deal is. I never met him and know very little about him. I can't even find his grave site on FindaGrave.com which is very strange considering I found his other family members there and THEY won't even help me. Pretty rude and makes me wonder as well. I don't understand the point in geneaology if you have no interest in getting to know your own father's or grandfather's grandchild. All I do know is his date of birth, where he lived, how he died, the date he died on, and the county. Yet, with all that, I haven't been able to find his death certificate or where he is buried.

Anyone? someone? Please?

Thanks
Sure, just give me his info, I'll do my best to look him up on ancestry.com.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
No, not in the same directory but there's this, she can be found at the same address from 1935-1945... but if they were married, wouldn't they be at the same address? This is why I don't find the directories very helpful.
Pa2uk- Hannah Smith lived at a different address, so she must not be Mathew's wife. You really helped me get a little tidbit I didn't have before, so thanks a lot. I can't wait for the 2012, 1940 census to come out.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:57 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyllen View Post
I can't even find his grave site on FindaGrave.com
Most gravesites in America are not listed on Findagrave. They are only there if an ordinary person such as yourself puts them there. When you find out where he was buried you can put his memorial on the site!

Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 PM

30 posts, read 129,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Most gravesites in America are not listed on Findagrave. They are only there if an ordinary person such as yourself puts them there. When you find out where he was buried you can put his memorial on the site!
Yes, I was already aware of that, as I've been a volunteer for others and adding my own memorials there for 3 years.

Thanks though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy