Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 PM

140 posts, read 267,238 times

Advertisements

Ok ... can anyone take this further. Thanks

Gustave Melsing was a trained accountant, he also learned the confectioners trade in Germany. They migrated in approx. 1858.

After Gustave Melsing and Elizabeth Schwerin Melsing arrived in America, they came directly to Gold Hill, Nevada where he worked as an accountant in the silver mines. When the ore ran out and the silver mines closed down, they came with their five children to San Francisco, where he opened a confectionery shop at 3rd & Minna Sts. It became famous for Melsing's rye bread.

Melsing G. 1867 Gold Hill -> San Francisco

Census_Year 1862
Microfilm no number assigned by the Nevada State Archives
State NV
County Storey

Gustave MELSING Household
Male
---------------------------------------

Other Information:
Birth Year <1826>
Birthplace PRUSSIA
Age 54
Occupation Baker
Marital Status M <Married>
Race W <White>
Head of Household Gustave MELSING
Relation Self
Father's Birthplace SWED
Mother's Birthplace MECK CUBURG

Elise MELSING Household
Female
---------------------------------------

Other Information:
Birth Year <1832>
Birthplace HANOVER
Age 48
Occupation Keeping House
Marital Status M <Married>
Race W <White>
Head of Household Gustave MELSING
Relation Wife
Father's Birthplace HANOVER
Mother's Birthplace HANOVER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Here's what ancestry.com spat back, I don't know if the Naturalization is the right one, given the name but it was close enough to mention it:

U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes, 1794-1995 about Peter Heinrich Gustave Melsing
Name: Peter Heinrich Gustave Melsing
Birth Location: Prussia
State: California
Locality, Court: Northern District of California, District court
Title: Selected Indexes to naturalization Records of the U.S. Circuit and District Counts, Northern District of California, 1852-1928
Description: Index to declarations of intent and petitions for naturalization, A-B
Series: T1220

U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 about Gustave Melsing
Name: Gustave Melsing
State: Nevada
Tax Year: 1863
Roll Title: Annual List; Dec 1863
NARA Series: M779
NARA Roll: 1

Pacific Coast Directory, 1867 about G. Melsing
Given Name: G.
Surname: Melsing

1880 United States Federal Census about Gustave Melsing
Name: Gustave Melsing
Home in 1880: San Francisco, San Francisco, California
Estimated birth year: abt 1826
Birthplace: Prussia
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Spouse's name: Elise
Father's birthplace: Sweden
Mother's birthplace: Meck Cuburg
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Household Members:
Gustave Melsing 54
Elise Melsing 48
Louise Melsing 22
Maria Melsing 20
Antoinette Melsing 16
Gustav Melsing 14
Elise Melsing 10
Dora Melsing 8
Louis Melsing 7

San Francisco, California Directories, 1889-91 about Gustav A. Melsing
Name: Gustav A. Melsing
Location 2: 120 Third
Year: 1889
City: San Francisco
State: CA

And if you think the Naturalization record is the right person, there's also this:

Territorial Enterprise Birth, Marriage, & Death Notices (Virginia City, Nevada), 1866-67 about Melsing, P. H. G.
Name: Melsing, P. H. G.
Event Date: 20 Oct 1866
Type: Registered Voters - Gold Hill, Nv.
Newspaper: 10/25/1866

Send me a private message with your email if you want any of the original documents

Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
I'm looking for a Thomas J. Jackson. He was born about 1860 in Kentucky. The 1880 Census shows him living as the step-son of John Schick. Thomas' mother's name was Lue. They lived in Wayne county, Missouri.

Artie Jackson was my great-great-grandmother. She was born about 1860 in Missouri. Her daughter Kate was born in 1885 and her son Clarence was born Aug 1894. Artie and her husband were probably married between 1880 and 1885, and Artie's husband probably died between Dec 1893-1900 (before the 1900 census was taken), because the 1900 census shows Artie as a widow. Thomas Jackson was in Wayne county in 1880, but not in 1900, and he seems to have been born around the correct time. So, he could be Artie's husband. What I need to find out is if Thomas was married and/or died in Wayne county, Missouri between 1880-1900. There may not be any info. I'm grasping at straws. I'm not quite as concerned about who Thomas' parents were. My main concern at this point is figuring out if Thomas could be the husband of Artie Jackson and father of Kate and Clarence.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
RRANGEL - CA central coast - do you have any other info? Is Broughton her maiden name? There are several matches but they all appear to be her married name, not maiden name.
Broughton is her maiden name. She married a man named Schmidt in California. She was possibly Native American.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Default World Lookup/ Brick Walls

I do not have access to Ancestry World, so if anyone can help me with my "brick walls," it would sincerely be appreciated.

My great grandfather (paternal) Clemente Basile, born 1862 in Agira, Sicily, arrived in this country 10-15-1887 on the Brittanic. He lived in Newark, NJ and died in 1937.
His wife, Filippina Ingallina, born 1864 in Agira, Sicily, arrived in this country 1886. She lived in Newark, NJ and died on 9-25-1936.

I am seeking information in regards to their parents, grand parents, etc. including siblings.

My great great grandfather (maternal) John Adam Satterer, born 3-23-1843 in Hasselbach, Baden, Germany. He arrived in the US on the SS Bremen on 7-2-1866. He is listed in census from Newark NJ, although I have no information regarding his death.

My great great grandmother, Anna Elizabeth Hilgenberg, born 1-15-1849, Hesse' Cassel, Germany. I have no information on her regarding her death either.

I am also seeking information in regards to their parents, grand parents, etc. including siblings.

Any help with my "brick walls?"

Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My great grandfather (paternal) Clemente Basile, born 1862 in Agira, Sicily, arrived in this country 10-15-1887 on the Brittanic. He lived in Newark, NJ and died in 1937.
His wife, Filippina Ingallina, born 1864 in Agira, Sicily, arrived in this country 1886. She lived in Newark, NJ and died on 9-25-1936.

I am seeking information in regards to their parents, grand parents, etc. including siblings.
There's a few US censuses for them but no info on their parents, grandparents, siblings, etc. I found the passenger list but I assume you already have that. Similar results with the others.

Unfortunately, I've found Ancestry to be pretty weak and lacking when it comes to their world records. They have no Italian censuses and only have BMDs from a handful of Italy cities or towns, Agira is not one of them. The German records are probably similar.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
There's a few US censuses for them but no info on their parents, grandparents, siblings, etc. I found the passenger list but I assume you already have that. Similar results with the others.

Unfortunately, I've found Ancestry to be pretty weak and lacking when it comes to their world records. They have no Italian censuses and only have BMDs from a handful of Italy cities or towns, Agira is not one of them. The German records are probably similar.
Thank you for taking the time to check.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:

They're really good when it comes to Germany, England, Scotland, and Switzerland. I have traced my roots back to the 1400s in Germany, and back to 1200 in England.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Broughton is her maiden name. She married a man named Schmidt in California. She was possibly Native American.
No luck?

Old 05-14-2010, 02:21 AM

Oh sorry, I thought I'd replied to that before. I didn't find anything, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy