Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 03:14 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerksticks View Post
So my mother is adopted and I always wanted to find her family for her as a present; maybe deliver it like, "I think you know what's in this envelope; feel free to open it if you like. If not, no big deal." Something like that, ya know? Is a private investigator the way to go? Ancestry.com? Any advice would be thankfully accepted! JSticks
I was able to find spouse's adoptive family by searching the web. The most important pieces of information you will need is her birth name( would be on original birth certificate), date and place. There was a web page with the family name and we posted on quite a few adoption sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 16,808 times
Can anyone look up Carrie Basta (married name) married to Albert or Adolph Basta, living in NY or CT? Albert or Adolph was born in 1870 in France and I think Carrie's maiden name may have been Phister or Pfister, and she was born in NJ. Can anyone find her before marriage?

Thanks!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:44 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,864,610 times
There a few possible name matches but none born in NJ and living in NJ, NY or CT.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
re: Carrie Basta -- have any known dates for her at all or any possible sibling names? Do you know if Carrie was a nickname of some sort, such as short for Caroline?

Any additional info, even something that seems small and insignificant, would help narrow down the search.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:49 AM

7 posts, read 16,808 times
Yes, I believe it was Caroline! I do know that her daughter (my great-grandmother) was born north of New York City sometime during the 1890's, so could you possibly begin searching for Adolph or Albert Basta with Caroline living in NY in 1890 or 1900? Thanks a million!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 AM

You probably won't get any results from 1890 census - there was a fire 1921 which destroyed most of it.

There is a 1910 and 1920 census but you said you were looking for info on her before her marriage so I didn't post them before.

Quote:
1910 United States Federal Census about Carrie A Basta
Name: Carrie A Basta
Age in 1910: 43
Estimated birth year: abt 1867
Birthplace: New Jersey
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birth Place: Germany
Mother's Birth Place: Germany
Spouse's name: Adolph J
Home in 1910: Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Adolph J Basta 43
Carrie A Basta 43
Josephine Basta 21
William J Basta 19
Felix J Basta 17
Madeline Basta 15
Marie Basta 11
Adolph J Basta Jr 8
Quote:
1920 United States Federal Census about Carrie Basta
Name: Carrie Basta
[Carrie Baston]
[Carrie Barta]
Home in 1920: Norwalk Ward 1, Fairfield, Connecticut
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Birthplace: New Jersey
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's name: Adolph
Father's Birth Place: Germany
Mother's Birth Place: Germany
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Female
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Household Members:
Name Age
Adolph Basta 51
Carrie Basta 54
Marie Basta 21
Adolph C Basta 18
I couldn't find any Carrie/Caroline Phister/Pfister/Fister born in New Jersey but there are some born in New York and censuses can be wrong, I have had mix ups with NY/NJ. The above ones say her parents were born in Germany so this one has potential:

Quote:
1880 United States Federal Census about Caroline Fister
Name: Caroline Fister
Home in 1880: New York City, New York, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1868
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of Household: Dau (Daughter)
Father's Name: Philip
Father's birthplace: Ger
Mother's Name: Theresa
Mother's birthplace: Ger
Marital Status: Single
Household Members:
Name Age
Philip Fister 36
Theresa Fister 34
Caroline Fister 12

Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,021 times
Default Gustav Mesling

Gustav Melsing was married on March 23,1856 to Elizabeth Schwerin.
In 1872was employed as a baker [Columbia Bakery] at 1129 Dupont st., San Francisco [now Grant ave]
1878 was living at727 Broadway and in 1879 was living at 2126 Howard.
Gustav then listed himself as a confectioner dealing in fancy baked goods
Daughters Louisa and Maria were living with their parents at this time.
In 1880 the bakery was located at 120 3rd. st. and the family was living at205 Minna.
The bakery was owned by August Schwerin was deeded to Gustav in late 1881. August and Elizabeth Schwerin [Gustavs wife] were brother and sister.
In 1883 Gustav`s son Peter Henry was employed at the bakery. The son was commonly known as Harry.
In or about 1884 Gustav expired. His wife Elizabeth was running the bakery in 1885. Two other sons Gustav A[gus jr.] and Louis were also working at the bakery until 1896.
After that Gustav A was a brakeman on the cable cars. 1888 and 89 was a watchman and 1900 was a bookkeeper. son Louis was a collector for a law and collection agency.

The last mention of any members of the Mesling family was in the San Francisco city directory of 1902.

Gustave Melsing was a trained accountant, he also learned the confectioners trade in Germany. They migrated in approx. 1858.

After Gustave Melsing and Elizabeth Schwerin Melsing arrived in America, they came directly to Gold Hill, Nevada where he worked as an accountant in the silver mines. When the ore ran out and the silver mines closed down, they came with their five children to San Francisco, where he opened a confectionery shop at 3rd & Minna Sts. It became famous for Melsing's rye bread.

Melsing G. 1867 Gold Hill -> San Francisco

Census_Year 1862
Microfilm no number assigned by the Nevada State Archives
State NV
County Storey

Gustave MELSING Household
Male
---------------------------------------

Other Information:
Birth Year <1826>
Birthplace PRUSSIA
Age 54
Occupation Baker
Marital Status M <Married>
Race W <White>
Head of Household Gustave MELSING
Relation Self
Father's Birthplace SWED
Mother's Birthplace MECK CUBURG

Elise MELSING Household
Female
---------------------------------------

Other Information:
Birth Year <1832>
Birthplace HANOVER
Age 48
Occupation Keeping House
Marital Status M <Married>
Race W <White>
Head of Household Gustave MELSING
Relation Wife
Father's Birthplace HANOVER
Mother's Birthplace HANOVER[/quote]

Old 12-03-2012, 04:48 AM

Raymond, what is it that you're looking for? You seem to already have a lot of information on this individual so if there is something specific that you're looking for, let us know.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 PM

14 posts, read 20,996 times
Can anyone help to find a birth of William Henry Startin B 1840 New York -as I don't have world wide ancestry subscription

I have been unable to find a birth in England for him and most censuses have him recorded as born New York . The 1841 England census has him born Birmingham, England 7 months old - From 1851 to 1901 always New York or America until 1911 England census states Birmingham!!!

His brother Charles b1839 Birmingham, England

Father James Startin b1818 d 1844 - occupation Bricklayer/house painter
mother Ann Parker b 1819
Not been able to find them as passengers and it seems such a short period of time between the births of Charles and William for them to have travelled to and from America!!!

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by ukjean; 12-04-2012 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Not sure if this is in correct place - could not find new thread!!!!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 AM

I did not find any American documents on ACOM which isn't surprising - if they were only in NY for such a short period of time, it's unlikely they will have been recorded in any American documents (I had hoped to find James Startin in the 1840 Census but no luck). I saw someone else in the other thread suggest church records in NY, but also try church records in Birmingham - if he was born in NY and only 7 months later back in England, he may have been baptized in England instead, even if he was born in NY.

Try https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ection/1462403 and Warwickshire Online Parish Clerks

Also try looking for his brother in those - if you can find his brother but not him, that might indicate you should look in NY church records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy