Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your goals in genealogy?
Tracing all my ancestors 15 32.61%
Seeking the origins of my surname 2 4.35%
A combination of the above 18 39.13%
Other 11 23.91%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,327,284 times

Advertisements

My goal is to identify my tribal heritage. I've always known I had ndn blood but after having my ethnology DNA test done and found it was even more signifigant than I thought, I've steped up my hunt. My cousins are LDS so some work has been done but we all run into the same brick walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 AM

993 posts, read 2,280,316 times
I started to just be interested in my direct ancestors, then I found that my great-grandmother's brother was murdered after the Civil War, I became interested in tracing my collateral lines. While doing so, I have "met" many nice distant cousins, and even was invited to a family reunion in Kansas. I haven't discovered any royalty or criminals, but it's been fun!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:17 AM

5 posts, read 9,909 times
I started doing my genealogy back in December of 2005 around the time my father died. My younger brother started telling me about different stories he had been told and let me know who some of the family were from the past. Have been learning alot, just wish I had know all this stuff before the older relatives passed on...soooo, with that , I want to make sure my children and grandkids know something about this line of family they actually never knew in their life time. If anything just to pass it along when I am dead and gone...someday!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,169,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's easy to find distance relatives on ancestry.com - it's so easy, it's kind of lost it's appeal. When I first started building my tree, I was so excited to see so many people who shared branches of my tree. But I quickly learned that most of them have NO interest in chatting. Most of them have lost interest in their tree and haven't logged into ancestry.com in months, maybe even years so they simply NEVER reply when you try to get in touch with them. At least that is the case for me.

I've found very few-- I think my family has a shocking lack of LDS or something, because many of my ancestors on one side are a complete dead end once I hit about 1830.
I did find information from one intersecting tree whose owner-- despite the fact that she made hers public-- was horribly affronted when I linked to a gravestone photo of a mutual great-great-grandfather. Not sure what was up with that, but I unlinked quickly. I have enough cranky relatives already.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,088,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I've found very few-- I think my family has a shocking lack of LDS or something, because many of my ancestors on one side are a complete dead end once I hit about 1830.
I'm puzzled by your comment. Why would this make any difference in the data available?

Quote:
I did find information from one intersecting tree whose owner-- despite the fact that she made hers public-- was horribly affronted when I linked to a gravestone photo of a mutual great-great-grandfather. Not sure what was up with that, but I unlinked quickly. I have enough cranky relatives already.
I have had some good contacts with distant family members, though a few times people shopped me for info and then never responded to my question to them.

I did have one sticky scene with someone, though on another site, not ancestry.com. He had an extensive public tree that overlapped part of mine, and he had a few people that I did not. I copied down these missing folks, and then based on his data researched them again on my own and located records for them. I then put these people and their source records on my public tree. In a month or so I got an email from the site attaching a flaming letter to them from this guy threatening a law suit if they did not removed my tree which I had clearly stolen from him as only he had much of the data.

The site calmly said that if I had sources for the members of my tree that duplicated his there was no problem, and only if I had copied original comments of his, or correspondence belong to him should I consider removing it. As I had sources for all my records that duplicated his I removed nothing. And that was the end of it.

What I found peculiar was that he had never bothered to contact me. In any case, a number of my contacts have been with very nice folks and helpful too.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:14 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,177,339 times
That's too bad he had that 'tude, kevxu. I've also been shopped for info.

I did find, though, that one branch of our tree has an annual family reunion. It is an unusual name and pretty much everyone in North America with the name is descended from one couple that immigrated in the early 1700s.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 AM

11 posts, read 18,882 times
I am looking for my grandfather. My mother has not seen him since she was a year old.I pretty much know about my maternal grandmothers side going straight up through the mothers back to the sister of Jesse James and beyond to their mothers,mothers and so on. I am now trying to research my maternal grandfather and his family but cannot find any information on him. I only know what is on my mothers birth certificate. I am mostly interested in finding out if my mother ever had any brothers or sisters because her mom never had anymore kids and she would love to have a brother or sister!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 PM

188 posts, read 404,432 times
Ive been thinking about doing some genealogy reasearch, just to find out what I am. Im African American, and most of us dont have a clue of where our ancestors came from. Africa is a big continent. So yeah, Id just like to know what country specifically my ancestors were from. It would be great to then research the customs, language, and possibly visit. Im not saying I'd give up my identity as I know it, but it would be good to know.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,227 times
I found my father's relatives on a posting that I made years ago (Rootwebs) by a relative that contacted me on Facebook earlier this year.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:33 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,177,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
Ive been thinking about doing some genealogy reasearch, just to find out what I am. Im African American, and most of us dont have a clue of where our ancestors came from. Africa is a big continent. So yeah, Id just like to know what country specifically my ancestors were from. It would be great to then research the customs, language, and possibly visit. Im not saying I'd give up my identity as I know it, but it would be good to know.
Many Americans of all races find they have ancestors from more than one country.

You may already know that many African Americans in the 1800s lived vibrant lives that were successful both economically and politically.

You can start by collecting information from living relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy