Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times

Advertisements

I'm researching my ancestry on the Danish side and in the church books from pre-1800 they use Latin for the dates.

I've tried google and am coming up empty.

Can anyone teach me to fish?

Or give me a fish

Just below the yellow line the Date is "Dom: Septuage"

I just don't know what that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
It means the Sunday 70 days before Easter.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 01-27-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It means the Sunday 70 days before Easter.
Coolness

Can you do some more???

Dom: Lætare

Dom: g:m:g

Dom: JJ

I assume all the dom's are Sundays...

Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Laetare Sunday is the fourth Sunday of Lent, and in the RC church the priest had the option of wearing rose-colored vestments at mass that day in place of the Lenten purple.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM

Yes, doms are Sundays. As in modern Italian, where Sunday is "domenica".

Old 01-27-2010, 12:15 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,150 times
right septuagesima is 70 ..(sept=seven)...they counted down in tens...then underneath that a bit you see sexagesima that's 60...quinquagesima...etc,.... here's a little info from the web...

Septuagesima Sunday is the third Sunday before the start of Lent, which makes it the ninth Sunday before Easter. Traditionally, Septuagesima Sunday marked the beginning of preparations for Lent. Septuagesima and the following two Sundays (Sexagesima, Quinquagesima) were celebrated by name in the traditional Roman Catholic liturgical calendar, which is still used for the traditional Latin Mass. The three Sundays were removed from the revised liturgical calendar released in 1969; today, they are just denominated as Sundays in Ordinary Time.
No one is quite sure why Septuagesima Sunday bears that name. Literally, Septuagesima means "seventieth" in Latin, but contrary to common error, it is not 70 days before Easter, but only 63. The most likely explanation is that Septuagesima Sunday and Sexagesima Sunday simply derived their names from Quinqagesima Sunday, which is 49 days before Easter, or 50 if you include Easter. (Quinqagesima means "fiftieth.")
In any case, it was common for early Christians to begin the Lenten fast immediately after Septuagesima Sunday. Just as Lent today begins 46 days before Easter, since Sundays are never a day of fasting (see "How Are the 40 Days of Lent Calculated?"), so, in the early Church, Saturdays and Thursdays were considered fast-free days. In order to fit in 40 days of fasting before Easter, therefore, the fast had to start two weeks earlier than today.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
right septuagesima is 70 days before easter..(sept=seven)...they counted down in tens...then underneath that a bit you see sexuagesima that's 60 days...cuinquagesima...etc,....
On further review Septuagesima Sunday is actually the third from the last Sunday prior to lent just as you stated further on. I guess it's approximately 70 days prior to Easter but not exactly.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Good answers everyone. I'm learning.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:33 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,817 times
[
Quote:
quote=filihok;12635322]I'm researching my ancestry on the Danish side and in the church books from pre-1800 they use Latin for the dates.

I've tried google and am coming up empty.
Can anyone teach me to fish ?
Or give me a fish?[/quote]

Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
right septuagesima is 70 ..(sept=seven)...they counted down in tens...then underneath that a bit you see sexagesima that's 60...quinquagesima...etc,.... here's a little info from the web...

Septuagesima Sunday is the third Sunday before the start of Lent, which makes it the ninth Sunday before Easter. Traditionally, Septuagesima Sunday marked the beginning of preparations for Lent. Septuagesima and the following two Sundays (Sexagesima, Quinquagesima) were celebrated by name in the traditional Roman Catholic liturgical calendar, which is still used for the traditional Latin Mass. The three Sundays were removed from the revised liturgical calendar released in 1969; today, they are just denominated as Sundays in Ordinary Time.
No one is quite sure why Septuagesima Sunday bears that name. Literally, Septuagesima means "seventieth" in Latin, but contrary to common error, it is not 70 days before Easter, but only 63. The most likely explanation is that Septuagesima Sunday and Sexagesima Sunday simply derived their names from Quinqagesima Sunday, which is 49 days before Easter, or 50 if you include Easter. (Quinqagesima means "fiftieth.")
In any case, it was common for early Christians to begin the Lenten fast immediately after Septuagesima Sunday. Just as Lent today begins 46 days before Easter, since Sundays are never a day of fasting (see "How Are the 40 Days of Lent Calculated?"), so, in the early Church, Saturdays and Thursdays were considered fast-free days. In order to fit in 40 days of fasting before Easter, therefore, the fast had to start two weeks earlier than today.
With all that said, I wonder why we had to confuse everyone with the complexities of January through December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy