Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:14 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

I'm reviving this ancient thread.

Previously, I never dreamed or even cared about having a Mayflower ancestor. Mine were farmers and soldiers in New England and that was fine. About two years ago I found a marriage to a Delano. It seems that Delano traces directly back to Richard Warren of the Mayflower Pilgrims!

I got kind of sidetracked after that, trying to see if I could really prove the connection going forward. It can be quiet a challenge.

My brick wall is a man named PHINEAS!! No marriage record because the records were destroyed in a fire. But while I'm trying to arrange a genealogy road trip up to Vermont where Phineas was married, my sister seems to have found the proof in a book. Sister works in a large library so that certainly helps, lol.

Last summer I went to Plymouth to see the Mayflower II before she went into dry dock until 2020.
That was without knowing for sure if I had any connection but just in case, lol.

I will still go to Vermont and look in their little library because the librarian has told me that they have some books on Phineas' family and those books are not online.

Just had to share the excitement with people who know the feeling. Not that it matters--does any of this really matter? It matters to us. Anyone else tracing Mayflower ancestors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 08:54 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
My mom filled out the paperwork to become a member of the Mayflower Society. Not sure why she never submitted it, (probably due to lacking some documentation). She shows a line of our ancestors going back to John Alden and Priscilla Mullins.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My mom filled out the paperwork to become a member of the Mayflower Society. Not sure why she never submitted it, (probably due to lacking some documentation). She shows a line of our ancestors going back to John Alden and Priscilla Mullins.

Nice. When I was a kid in school I always wanted to be a descendant of John and Priscilla when we studied them. "Speak for yourself, John Alden."

They require A LOT of detailed documentation. The first four or so generations are well documented and the information is contained in "Silver Books" that are available in some libraries. After that you have to have a lot of proof although you can submit it to the Mayflower Society and they'll get back to you as to whether it's acceptable or you have to get some better proof and try again.

It's not that uncommon to be a descendant so probably you really are. Imagine how enormous that Mayflower tree has become by now. And with the internet, it must be a whole lot easier than it used to be. All it takes is one marriage of one of our lowly farmers and soldiers to be connected to something that's kind of fun and exciting like the Mayflower.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:33 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
so to be related you have to jump from one surname to another through the tree in hoping to find a path to the settlement, using that method, nearly everybody related.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:59 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I recently found out through someone else's research that my husband and children are descendants of someone who came over on the Mayflower. I can't remember who the ancestor is.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
so to be related you have to jump from one surname to another through the tree in hoping to find a path to the settlement, using that method, nearly everybody related.
Not really. I was tracing my lines way back. With one line, I peeked at an Ancestry hint and at some point way back theirs led to a Mayflower passenger. That part of his line matched what I had so I started digging and verifying. Then I started really concentrating on the more recent part of my line, where I break off from what he has and I got stuck on one marriage because it always just gave a first name for the wife.

For the really far back stuff you can consult these books called Silver Books. They verify about four generations and they matched what I already had found. Then I wrote to the Mayflower Soc. and sent them a list and they said that a few more of those had already been verified.

But after that person, I am on my own. I have it all done and documented but one person's marriage record doesn't exist--records were burned. Yesterday my sister finally found it in a book and if that book is acceptable as a source, we have all the necessary documentation. It's made a good project--but now for the task of writing it up and submitting it over and over if/until they accept it.

Doesn't mean that everyone is related. I have absolutely no Mayflower connection on my paternal side. They came over as immigrants in 1912. But, yes, there are loads of descendants of the Pilgrims by now.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:31 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
Yes, I am a direct descendant of Francis Cooke, who came on the Mayflower. I have not joined any of the organizations, but another relative is an active member of the D.A.R. in another state and all I would have to do is prove my relationship to her, it is already down as an approved lineage on their website. I would also be eligible to join through another grandparent's lineage, but they arrived on the Three Sisters ship, which came a couple years later.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:19 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
DNA can help. I'm not in the Mayflower group, but trace my ancestry back to Thomas Hooker's party that settled the Connecticut Colony. yDNA ties me to others with similar claims.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:23 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,427 times
My wife is a decendant, hrough her mother. More, Alden, Rogers and Bradford.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:01 PM

Sticker shock on the money required to submit your application! And I think I'll have to win the lottery to ever be able to afford to actually join! I'll be in touch with the expert later this week and ask some documentation questions. I wonder why it costs $200 to apply and nearly $1000 to join in MA while in New Hampshire it only costs something like $150 to send in your forms AND get a year's membership! (edited to add)--My sister has given me permission to use her Virginia address--MUCH cheaper than here in MA.

Those names everyone mentions--they're on the list from the Mayflower Society. My ancestor would be Richard Warren.

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-15-2017 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy