Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times

Advertisements

As far as the 1890 Census, the 1890 Missouri census was destroyed by fire. Some other states may be missing census records for that reason. Some records just don't exist anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
They could make a family tree app for the iPhone.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I use Ancestry.com all the time and no it's not gonna be free ever - it's a business .

If you have complaints and you are a paid member you can call them and ask them to help you do a search that's not working, you can send emails requesting upgrades they are constantly changing and adding new info and more services. If you don't like it don't use it, there are freebee's out there.

I recently sent them a request to scan in all the Dawes application forms and I promply recieved a reply that they are working on it, when they estimate it will be done and outlined the process they are going thru to do it. Great service from my stand point.

Call them if you don't like something or email them. Their customer service is very good.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:42 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
You're right. Give them feedback.

I use them for free at libraries so don't know that they would listen to a non-paying user.

When I win the lottery I'll sign up at home and email them on a regular basis.

Old 01-15-2024, 08:31 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
Funny! But I wouldn't use them if I was rich either.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:51 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
1. Every search emphasizes the census.

2. Sometimes drilling down to what you want is difficult, even when looking for a record you know is there just to refer to it.

3. Sometimes the record I want is on page 3 or 4 of a 50 records per page search after sifting through dozens of other records first. So if I'm looking for James Smith, example, I have to look through every Tom, Dick or Harry Smith too. Yet exact searchs are too limiting.
The first thing Ancestry needs to do is quit baiting people with the promise of inforation and then asking for a monthly fee. Everything costs extra on that website. It is why I quit using it. The DNA information is alost useless, like the difference between pandering to children or actually giving real information.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:45 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I have had a paid membership for about 4 years now. I used to go every day all the time, then I get bored and don't come back for several months. I have found all the new versions of the tree frustrating. However, I am sure that is just me . When I come back after a month or so, I can never find the old buttons.

I also find searches need to be improved. If I enter John Smith and a birth year, I want to see ALL the people that meet that criteria FIRST.

Does anyone know where the search for the famous people you are related to is listed? It used to be right there on the front page!

I've never used the famous people search. It used to be a cell phone app but they discontinued it.

With almost all my relatives being in Hungary, I didn't have famous people DNA matches. I believe I had one person, a famous baseball player around 1930. I think he lived in or near Virginia.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:18 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
I've often wished you could sort results in linear fashion by date. I know you can put in date limits, but some times it would be easier and better to just sort all results like death dates or birth dates.

The tree function that people upload or put in does not catch obvious errors- it just posts everything as uploaded. I've found so many tree errors that get perpetuated !!!! There should also be a comment section under each entry to say things like birth date speculative, or maiden name unproven, etc etc

Old 01-26-2024, 06:22 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Also, this details the differences between library editions and home subs.

https://support.proquest.com/s/artic...language=en_US

Old 01-26-2024, 06:31 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyho View Post
1. Make. It. Free.
Most of this is government & civil records that our ancestors paid for in some fashion.

2. Every entry must be sourced. Even if it's 'based on information supplied by Aunt Celeste Smith after 2 gins on 12.01.09...'

3. Add some kind of Census info for 1880/1890, anything for chrissake!

4. Make it free. Seriously, there is something wrong on profiting from my relatives life.

5. As part of making free, all info is shared by default.
Ancestry.com paid for the digitization of many of the records. I don't have any issue paying for the service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy