Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times

Advertisements

My wife has a distant ancestor who drowned while fishing in the Baltic Sea. That's the strangest one I can remember from our tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Broken heart.

Seen it time and time again with males who have buried a beloved wife.

Have at least one such male in the family who mourned himself to death.

One relative died when he was working in a chemical factory (late 1960's) and slipped and fell into a vat of acid.

Needless to say, there was not a body to claim.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 PM

7,367 posts, read 5,480,532 times
I believe dying because of a broken heart. My Grandmother died and my Grandfather was so devastated (they were married over 50 years), he died almost exactly a year to the date after her.
My great-grandfather was working in the coal mines, got hit in the head with a rock or something. Went home. Died later that night. Dr. said brain hemorrhage from the hit on the head but the coal company said no, he had a stroke because they didn't want to pay damages to the family. The family had to fight the coal co. in court and luckily they won. Of course back then I don't think they got much money or anything.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:15 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Interesting stories here. I can't think of anything too unusual in my immediate family except for a GG grandfather who was killed while standing across from the general store when a gun that was propped up on the porch was knocked over and went off and just happened to go right through his head.

One of my more interesting things I've heard in the family is a story my ex's grandfather used to tell--it was a very short story. Apparently his wife's family was of a group called the "Hamilton Black Scots" and they had pickled the pope. I could get no other details but that and it set my mind to wondering, as you can imagine. For one thing, what did "pickling" mean at the time? Got him drunk? Put his body in a vat of vinegar or salt? I went to far as to buy a book that gave a little biography of all of the popes, but the only really weird death I could find that might possibly be construed as a pickling was the Pope Formosus, who was murdered and buried and dug up again some months later to be put on trial, which was called the cadaver synod. Cadaver Synod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Still, this happened back in 897 ad and I doubt any Scots were involved in that one. I could be wrong though.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:29 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
This is not my ancestor but I spotted it while looking among obituaries:

Quote:
Williams, W.S.

Murdered by an Elephant.

The telegraph on Saturday announced the killing of Mr. W.S. Williams the keeper of the famous elephant Romeo. The Philadelphia papers give the particulars of the horrible affair which occurred at Hatborough, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania. It appears that the huge monster had been placed in winter quarters at the above place, and on Wednesday was visited by his keeper, who found it necessary to administer a punishment. Mr. Williams is said to be the only man living who could exercise any authority over him. He afterwards took 'Romeo' to a trough, for the purpose of washing his face and tusks. As he (Williams) was stooping with his back towards him 'Romeo' suddenly seized him with his trunk, and dashed him with great violence against the wall, after which he gored him fearfully with his tusks. He then kneeled on the prostrate man with his pondrous weight and crushed him fearfully. The screams of Mr. Williams brought persons to his assistance, and with considerable danger the mutilated body of the unfortunate man was dragged out, the elephant being kept at bay by means of pitchforks. Medical aid was at once summoned, but Mr. Williams expired in a little over an hour afterwards. The elephant has since been quiet.

Romeo is a native of Ceylon where he was captured some ten years of age, when he was considered full grown. He, for a number of years, was used in State processions and for warlike purposes. He at last was taken among other munitions of war, and sold to some London menagerie proprietors, who vainly tried to train him to perform tricks. So he was sent to America in 1859 and purchased for the establishment of Mable & Co.
Obituaries, Death Notices, and Funeral Notices - Wh-Wz

Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Not to sound morbid, but what are some of the most unusual causes of death you have found?

There are the more common causes of death, like heart ailments, strokes, accidents.

I have found some weird ones. One guy committed suicide with Carbolic Acid. A baby died of Anencephaly. One guy eventually died (he had it a while) of lead poisoning. He went insane. Died at 76. He was a retired painter.

I don't want to come across as insensitive, or morbid, but what are some odd causes of death you have come across?
I have not looked at all 21 pages but will add the ones I know of from my life.
1. I know a lady who had breast cancer, and so as not to suffer or die that way, she killed herself. How she did it, I never found out.
2. A lady that lived near me, died of some abdominal blockage.
3. A cousin died of liver failure, and his only symptom was that he did not feel good. The doctor found nothing.
4. The doctor for Elvis Pressley said he died of constipation. He needed surgery to remove a large blockage in his colon. He said he was a man and surgery would have been a woman thing, so he passed on the sugery that would have saved his life.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Ran across a death certificate the other day that the cause of death was "multiple bee stings."

Old 11-15-2011, 10:18 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Found a young woman who died of puerperal septicemia pelvic abscess in 1916.

She was 22. I read online that these conditions can be caused by pregnancy, though her death certificate did not mention pregnancy.

She had two sons born in 1915 and 1916. Her younger son was born March 17, 1916 and she died May 20, 1916.

In 1918 her husband remarried in Montana, but by 1930 he was back living in the county he had lived in with his first wife. He had two children in Montana before returning to Missouri.

The two boys were named Clark and Amel Simmons. Apparently there's a website devoted to them and their families.
http://bobsimmons1.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html

Friday, August 22, 2008

Becca's Death...May 20, 1916...A Mystery Revealed

I remember hearing that my Dad's Mom, Becca passed away sometime shortly after he was born. Again, Amel Wilson Simmons was born on St. Patricks Day, March 17, 1916. According to the death certificate Becca passed away at the tender age of 22 just two months after Amel was born. She died at 6:20 p.m. on the evening of May 20, 1916. Reasons for her death are given as a blood infection due to a pelvic abscess.
Becca was born in Missouri in January of 1894 to Reverend John McCarter & his wife, Tennesse. The informant who signed the death certificate looks to be Laura Simmons of Jadwin, Missouri. This where Grandpa Elliot Simmons' farm was located.
This death certificate gives no indication as to where Becca was buried. Upon further research I have learned that her maiden name was Rebecca McCarter and she was buried in the McCarter family cemetary located in the Turtle township in Dent county, Missouri.

http://bobsimmons1.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html

Mystery solved.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 11-15-2011 at 10:31 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 05:51 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Found a young woman who died of puerperal septicemia pelvic abscess in 1916.

She was 22. I read online that these conditions can be caused by pregnancy, though her death certificate did not mention pregnancy.

She had two sons born in 1915 and 1916. Her younger son was born March 17, 1916 and she died May 20, 1916.

In 1918 her husband remarried in Montana, but by 1930 he was back living in the county he had lived in with his first wife. He had two children in Montana before returning to Missouri.

The two boys were named Clark and Amel Simmons. Apparently there's a website devoted to them and their families.
Simmons Family & Friends: August 2008

Friday, August 22, 2008

Becca's Death...May 20, 1916...A Mystery Revealed

I remember hearing that my Dad's Mom, Becca passed away sometime shortly after he was born. Again, Amel Wilson Simmons was born on St. Patricks Day, March 17, 1916. According to the death certificate Becca passed away at the tender age of 22 just two months after Amel was born. She died at 6:20 p.m. on the evening of May 20, 1916. Reasons for her death are given as a blood infection due to a pelvic abscess.
Becca was born in Missouri in January of 1894 to Reverend John McCarter & his wife, Tennesse. The informant who signed the death certificate looks to be Laura Simmons of Jadwin, Missouri. This where Grandpa Elliot Simmons' farm was located.
This death certificate gives no indication as to where Becca was buried. Upon further research I have learned that her maiden name was Rebecca McCarter and she was buried in the McCarter family cemetary located in the Turtle township in Dent county, Missouri.

Simmons Family & Friends: August 2008

Mystery solved.
The term "puerperal" means the time around delivery.

In the pre-antibiotic era, infections were one of the most common causes of death related to childbirth, the other two most common being hemorrhage and toxemia.

Sometimes you will find infections referred to as "childbed fever."

I too have someone in my tree who died about ten days after the birth of her first child. The timing is right for an infection.

She was 24.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM

158 posts, read 322,469 times
My g grandfather died of the hiccups. He had them for several days and I guess it messed up his insides till he died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy