Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 08:48 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Are you saying that other people can change information in your own tree?

On FamilySearch, yes, there is no privacy or ownership of trees there, anyone can edit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 08:53 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Are you saying that other people can change information in your own tree?

Yes; on Family Search trees. They are a public tree, its supposed to be one record per person; when you enter them the system will search to see if they've been entered already; if so it may give you a branch already started with people and records attached. Its similar to wiki tree. I didn't know this when I started my tree there. So far I've been lucky that the relatives I'm running into there are ones I know from my hubs mothers side or my sons relatives from his 3rd great grandfather. The person I ran into the other day isn't someone I've run into on Ancestry or My Heritage

I sent her a message today telling her I'm not trying to be an a-hole; the relative she edited is my hubs grandmother and I'd rather we try to work together so just message me to ask

Old 06-14-2017, 09:43 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Wow! Thanks PA2UK and Roselvr. I really haven't spent any time at Family Search. Just Ancestry, and that infrequently. It's too expensive, so I usually wait until they are running a 1/2 price, 6-month special. That keeps me going for awhile.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-14-2017, 10:35 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Is there a copyright filed on these trees? Are you missing out on a royalty payment somehow?
Wouldn't these people pulling from your trees, somehow be related to you?

Glad I don't care about my lack of even having a tree. Or even seeing if someone in my family has a tree.

First world problems.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Wow! Thanks PA2UK and Roselvr. I really haven't spent any time at Family Search. Just Ancestry, and that infrequently. It's too expensive, so I usually wait until they are running a 1/2 price, 6-month special. That keeps me going for awhile.

I've been doing my family tree almost 2 years; I have not used my free trial yet. I'm saving it for when I hit a brick wall that I can't penetrate lol I've been lucky that I'm able to find the records I need at Family search or as hints from Ancestry or My Heritage. I have over 2,000 people in my tree. So far Ancestry has not had Hungarian records for free. The world explorer is expensive.

I'm going to see if my dads brother in Hungary will do DNA. He's the last left from either of his parents unless his father had more children. Hopefully he will do a few tests. It will be the easiest and cheapest way to see if I have relatives from his side without having to pay the world explorer.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Is there a copyright filed on these trees? Are you missing out on a royalty payment somehow?

Glad I don't care about my lack of even having a tree. Or even seeing if someone in my family has a tree.

First world problems.
You don't have a tree, you have no clue how much work they are

Old 06-15-2017, 04:47 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

First world problems.
No, they are not always related. Sometimes they find a tree with John Doe in it and assume that John Doe is the one they are related to, when he isn't. That results in some very messed up trees, which other people then copy, and the misinformation spreads like a virus.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:47 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
On FamilySearch, yes, there is no privacy or ownership of trees there, anyone can edit it.
Was looking around Family Search, (for the first time), at a few of my ancestors and right off I can see that some of the information is suspect. It shows a different middle name for my great-grandfather. The source attached to his record is his find-a-grave record, (with his correct middle name), but the listing in wrong.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I can understand how it is irritating to have someone just take your hard work.

The flip side is that people who have done their DNA looking for relatives get about 20 relatives with no tree or a private tree for every one that you get to see how you are related.

I wish more people would do trees, even if they just get the easy to find 4-5 generations.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:29 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I just joined Ancestry six months ago. I started on the family history when I was in high school so I've actually been doing it for a long time. What I found interesting is that I started early enough that my grandparents and other people were alive where I could ask questions and get answers and just listen to stories. I'm amazed at how much stuff I know that my aunts and the cousins don't know. My grandmother made sure I got a copy of a few pictures of her and my grandfather. I was able to share them electronically with other relatives who have never seen them.

I've posted pictures on FindAGrave. I list as much information as I can including name, date, and a description of activity. I don't mind people copying as in I put the pictures there because it is a free site and people don't have to pay to look at their ancestors. I've run into people uploading the pictures on Ancestry and they don't give me credit for posting the picture or including the description. I find it a bit rude, but I just upload the description in the comments and move on. It's not worth being upset. A lot of people are thrilled to see it and that matters more. I go by a non descript username on FindAGrave so people don't know who I am unless I choose to let them. I had to laugh. I went to the family reunion last summer. My dad's cousin was sharing her genealogy 'finds' with the family. She had my great grandfather's FindAGrave biography, census data, and death certificate. She showed them to me and it became obvious it was my work. I wrote the biography, the census data was from when it just came out and I had to handwrite it on the sheet of paper and I have the original death certificate because I ordered it from the state and copied it for other relatives. She was thrilled to have that information and that is what mattered. What she had that I didn't was my great grandmother's bible and a few personal papers.

I started an email group last fall where I've been sharing my finds with close relatives. We have quite a few people who are interested, but don't have the time or money for research. I enjoy it because I get to share it with people who get as big of a laugh out of my finds as I do. Since I shared, they'll send me stories or pictures. I find out family stories that I never would have gotten otherwise. We've unraveled some of the wild family stories.

There is one drawback to Ancestry that I don't like and that is the ability to put living people on there. I think it should just have a place holder. I contacted a person a while back who is connected to me through marriage. He has some great photos. Now he wants to add me to his tree. I told him my reasons for not putting info on living people out there. He still wants it. He is coming to the family reunion this summer. I know someone will give him the information. I understand most of this info is already publically available if you search hard enough, but I do what I can to limit that. It's an uncomfortable position for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy