Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:59 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can understand how it is irritating to have someone just take your hard work.

The flip side is that people who have done their DNA looking for relatives get about 20 relatives with no tree or a private tree for every one that you get to see how you are related.

I wish more people would do trees, even if they just get the easy to find 4-5 generations.
Interesting insight as I haven't done any DNA tests yet, so not sure about those. I would probably choose Ancestry for DNA. I never thought about that where a person gets a DNA test and then doesn't have a family tree posted at all. That seems odd from my view, unless someone had been adopted and has no idea who their bio-mother and/or father were.

I only started doing Ancestry about 4 years ago. I did use Ancestry much earlier, but not as extensively as this time around. I keep my family trees open where I know the info is accurate. When I started doing this again, I found 1 of my grandparents was not in any family tree (on Ancestry). Now about 3 people have copied some of my records that I am aware of. I really don't mind as I know I have saved more photographs from other trees than I have provided myself to my trees.

I have hidden my trees where I know my research on longer lines was incorrect or questionable at least, so for those I just keep them Private. My 4 main trees are all separated by my own grandparents' lineages.

And another thing I do is when I know someone is living, I do not enter their name or personal information.

Last edited by maus; 06-16-2017 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 04:31 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i welcome people to look at my tree, I dont have the ego problem about the hard work, maybe they have moreinformation that i dont. without other people trees and the net you would have to travel to all the court houses and go through the files by hand. looking at other people trees is not a bad thing. we are here to share

Old 06-17-2017, 05:05 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Was looking around Family Search, (for the first time), at a few of my ancestors and right off I can see that some of the information is suspect. It shows a different middle name for my great-grandfather. The source attached to his record is his find-a-grave record, (with his correct middle name), but the listing in wrong.

It's possible the wrong middle name was put on one of the records. Both sites get their info from people and records. It's an easy fix.Make an account then edit it, write why you know the middle name is correct

Old 06-17-2017, 07:59 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
<snip> I have relatives that want their info private, some don't want to be there at all so they don't know what they can't see <snip> .
Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that you are including living relatives who have told you they do not want their identity revealed on Ancestry?

Old 06-17-2017, 08:19 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
There is one drawback to Ancestry that I don't like and that is the ability to put living people on there. I think it should just have a place holder. I contacted a person a while back who is connected to me through marriage. He has some great photos. Now he wants to add me to his tree. I told him my reasons for not putting info on living people out there. He still wants it. He is coming to the family reunion this summer. I know someone will give him the information. I understand most of this info is already publically available if you search hard enough, but I do what I can to limit that. It's an uncomfortable position for me.
If your Ancestry tree is marked as private, then no info on anyone n your tree will be accessible (except that names will appear in searches). Any info on people identified as Living in any Ancestry tree will appear as Private and not be shown in searches or if someone accesses a public tree. If Living people are being identified in searches or access to your tree, you should notify Ancestry.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:39 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
I am totally confused. If I start a tree on Ancestry (or upload a GED?) can I begin with a great grandparent? Am I restricted to one tree on Ancestry? Is it going to be difficult for me to learn how the heck Ancestry works?

I assume I can start with a great grandparent on FamilySearch. If there is conflict between two trees on Family Search, are they merged into one big mess or do I start deleting?

What about Geni... same thing as Family Search? ... Did I read upthread that I can edit info?

I would be thrilled to find a "shared" Geni poster had her DNA tested at Ancestry because she sure isn't one of my matches on FTDNA, 23andMe and GedMatch. I think I figured out where she erred but I'm going to check again before I try to contact her. Not that I'm ever wrong...ha ha.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that you are including living relatives who have told you they do not want their identity revealed on Ancestry?
There are 2 or 3 people that don't want their info online. I have their name with nothing attached on my private tree. There are other family members that have the 2 or 3 relatives but on public trees along with DOB's, photos and records attached.

Whether they want their info online or not, it is and is easily found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I am totally confused. If I start a tree on Ancestry (or upload a GED?) can I begin with a great grandparent? Am I restricted to one tree on Ancestry? Is it going to be difficult for me to learn how the heck Ancestry works?

I assume I can start with a great grandparent on FamilySearch. If there is conflict between two trees on Family Search, are they merged into one big mess or do I start deleting?

What about Geni... same thing as Family Search? ... Did I read upthread that I can edit info?

I would be thrilled to find a "shared" Geni poster had her DNA tested at Ancestry because she sure isn't one of my matches on FTDNA, 23andMe and GedMatch. I think I figured out where she erred but I'm going to check again before I try to contact her. Not that I'm ever wrong...ha ha.

Family Search "allows" one profile per person that is alive. I'm not sure how it would work if you did separate trees on Family Search. I have my tree, then I made trees for a family that has someone with the same name and year of birth as my son's great grandfather. I made the tree for that side so that each time I come up on records, I know which person it belongs to.

With Ancestry, you're to able to make multiple trees such as me with being remarried I could have made my hub his own tree, calling it his last name tree. On the main Ancestry.com page, you'll see trees at the top, click it, at the bottom it says create and manage trees

I haven't worked with geni yet. I'm still trying to navigate wikitree with a relative of my son's 3rd great grandfather who entered most of the main family but has errors. I ended up making a new profile for my son's great grandmother thinking I could merge it with the profile she created but I could not. I had to send a message saying I wanted to merge her person's nickname last name unknown with mine that has all of her info.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:44 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
If your Ancestry tree is marked as private, then no info on anyone n your tree will be accessible (except that names will appear in searches). Any info on people identified as Living in any Ancestry tree will appear as Private and not be shown in searches or if someone accesses a public tree. If Living people are being identified in searches or access to your tree, you should notify Ancestry.
How long until all this info becomes available for data mining? My children's info isn't out there as much yet. I've thrown some decoys into the mix for my info. Why do anything to make it easier? Even with private people, you can figure out a lot of info by knowing their sex and who the parents were and any deceased spouses.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:34 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
I've had a world-wide subscription with ancestry for several years and have yet to see the private information of anyone on a public family tree who is still alive. Just a pink or a blue square, with no other info. I have never actually been able to see a private tree. On the couple of occasions I requested to see a private tree, I never heard back.

I rarely use family trees for my research - preferring to look for the actual records. When I first started, I looked at trees in conjunction with actual records, but there were so many errors on the trees that now I only look for them if I'm totally stuck (and make a note to the effect that the info is only from a family tree, thus not verified).

There are plenty of public records on ancestry (and other sites) which relate to people who are still alive. For example, some London (England) electoral rolls are online up until 1965 - my parents among them. My birth in 1949 (in England) is online on ancestry, but my daughter's birth in 1978 (in Australia) is not yet online. My English friends' marriages are all online (mostly in the 1970s and 1980s); my Australian friends' marriages are not.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
You can edit settings so that you're not found on searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy