Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 PM

66 posts, read 140,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Okay kolaida. As you can see this thread has been here a while. We had some exciting discussions more recently than the OP about percentages and genetics.
Yeah, I read it and didn't want to add any comments about the Census or Anglo opression. Since quite a few people had expressed understandable doubt throughout the thread regarding Native American ancestry (which is what most of the thread is about), I figured I would just chip in. And I believe I put before I know the blood dilutes, it doesn't mean I have Native American blood in me (unless it's a ridiculously small percentage), but it still means they were somewhere in my family tree.

The OP post was kind of about percentages and genetics...... and, yes, I do know a few pages back there was more of it in deeper detail. I guess I could have thrown some percentages in my post, but I didn't think it was such a huge deal.

At any rate, I am sorry if I somehow offended you. I didn't think I had typed anything off-topic or even offensive, but you obviously thought I'd done one or the other, so please accept my apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 05:44 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,177,339 times
You haven't offended me at all.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:04 PM

66 posts, read 140,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
You haven't offended me at all.
Glad to hear (I honestly thought I had so that's a relief)! Thank you for your response (though I am afraid I have thrown the thread a little now. I'll try to fix that).

Honestly, I don't know what percentage of Native American blood would be within me, if any. I do one one ancestor who was Native was my great great grandfather. (but the others go further back, that's the closest that I know of on one side of the family; not sure of the other)

Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 AM

3 posts, read 7,872 times
I personally believe that both "blacks" and "whites" embellish how much native ancestry they actually have (if at all). I remember back in my predominantly black elementary school, everyone had a native american grandmother! I also think back to a communications class I had in college a few years ago. The teacher asked us to go around the room and state our background. Almost every white person in the room was native american! As a result, I naturally assumed that such stories in my family were also an embellishment. I sent away for an admixture test and to my astonishment I am actually part native american (12%). My maternal grandfather had always stated that his grandmother was native. He does indeed look native and he is from Southwest Missouri; I just never believed him. My paternal relatives also stated such a fact about a gg grandparent. So there are a number of African Americans who are in fact part native. I personally believe that a higher percentage of African-Americans are part native than the number of European-Americans, mostly due to the greater number of years African-Americans have been in America (on average) and our smaller population number. I also think that people who self identify as Native American are less Native than they are actually led to believe. There was recently a genetic admixture study of people who self-identified as "full-blooded" in New Mexico. However, on average, those who believed themselves to be 100% Native American were ~66% NA/34% Euro. There are virtually no pure Native Americans left in the US.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:15 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,930,062 times
yes there are some pure Native people left I know quite a few actually.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 AM

3 posts, read 7,872 times
If those "pure" Natives can scientifically prove they are, then I will believe it. But so far, the evidence isn't there. The small number of pure Natives would most likely be found in geographically isolated areas outside of the US (ie forests of Central America and South America).

Old 05-20-2010, 06:23 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,177,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghutson View Post
I personally believe that both "blacks" and "whites" embellish how much native ancestry they actually have (if at all). I remember back in my predominantly black elementary school, everyone had a native american grandmother! I also think back to a communications class I had in college a few years ago. The teacher asked us to go around the room and state our background. Almost every white person in the room was native american! As a result, I naturally assumed that such stories in my family were also an embellishment. I sent away for an admixture test and to my astonishment I am actually part native american (12%). My maternal grandfather had always stated that his grandmother was native. He does indeed look native and he is from Southwest Missouri; I just never believed him. My paternal relatives also stated such a fact about a gg grandparent. So there are a number of African Americans who are in fact part native. I personally believe that a higher percentage of African-Americans are part native than the number of European-Americans, mostly due to the greater number of years African-Americans have been in America (on average) and our smaller population number. I also think that people who self identify as Native American are less Native than they are actually led to believe. There was recently a genetic admixture study of people who self-identified as "full-blooded" in New Mexico. However, on average, those who believed themselves to be 100% Native American were ~66% NA/34% Euro. There are virtually no pure Native Americans left in the US.
Good post, ghutson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
yes there are some pure Native people left I know quite a few actually.
But very FEW. Depending on where we live we may encounter more than others. I know some people born on reservations who have been full-blooded when being full-blooded wasn't cool. But they ARE very few and far between.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:14 AM

6 posts, read 13,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
So, how many times do each of you guys hear from people "Oh, I'm 1/16th cherokee" or something similar. Do you guys actually think its true? I don't honestly. Perhaps it is true for a small number of Americans, but nearly every blonde/blue-eyed person I speak too swears they have a native american great grandmother.

The people saying these things show no signs of that ancestry, and in much of a America, during the 19th century, it was a considered a blight on your social status to marry a native american, which would of course deter whites from breeding with them.

I, too, am part of one of those families that swears that my great great grandmother was a Cherokee......I have done extensive research on all my family lines and have found nothing to indicate that we have any Cherokee ancestry in us. That great great grandmother of mine has a Scottish surname and one of her branches reached back to Germany, though.

On that note, are there any genetic tests that I could take to actually find out if I carry any Cherokee DNA?
The pioneer of DNA study himself looks as "white" as most Europeans, yet when his DNA test came back, it was shown that he has 16% African DNA in him.

Looks alone do not tell the whole story.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:43 AM

897 posts, read 1,681,587 times
I wonder if you're trying to spit in the faces of People who DO have Great Grandparents or Ancestors who WERE Indians?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:08 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,121,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I wonder if you're trying to spit in the faces of People who DO have Great Grandparents or Ancestors who WERE Indians?
Probably to the contrary. More likely calling out people who claim to but really don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy