Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

My subscription just ran out 2 days ago and I have a question. Could someone please check for the name Mary Ellen Lassey (and possible a child with her) on the ship City of Chester which sailed from Liverpool to NY (arrival 4/17/1880)?
I know her husband John was on the ship with 2 children, but Mary was not listed on the same page of the manifest. I wonder if she was on the ship with him or if she came later.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 03:26 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times
I found one entry with the age similar to John's who arrived 12 November 1851 on the Empire State. But when I looked at the actual document the last name did not appear (to me) to be spelled "Lassey" and it said she was Irish. Do you have any more data that may help me?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM

No, I only want to know if she was on this particular sailing. Her husband and two of her children came with (I think) a nanny on this ship, and I believe she was expecting and came later. Another relative seems to think that she came at the same time, but was on another page of the manifest.

I just want to verify what I believe to be true, and darn it, my subscription just sat for months and the day after it expired, this relative wrote a note on my tree.

If you can go to this sailing and put her name in, Mary Ellen Lassey, and she is not there, then I'll feel like my tree is correct. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No, I only want to know if she was on this particular sailing. Her husband and two of her children came with (I think) a nanny on this ship, and I believe she was expecting and came later. Another relative seems to think that she came at the same time, but was on another page of the manifest.

I just want to verify what I believe to be true, and darn it, my subscription just sat for months and the day after it expired, this relative wrote a note on my tree.

If you can go to this sailing and put her name in, Mary Ellen Lassey, and she is not there, then I'll feel like my tree is correct. Thanks.
That's what I did but I'll go back and check again. I'll be back.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:16 PM

She is not there. I read each of the 24 pages of the manifest and paid close attention to the writing. Of course I found John with two female children; one age 2 and I couldn't deciper her name, and one age 1 and looks like "Hannah".

There is a Mary [I read] "Cassy" and if your contact was trying to make a case of it, it could have been read as "Lassey" but I don't think so. Also, this was a 22 year old spinster. Good luck with your quest. Ain't it fun, and frustrating?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Well, I overlooked "nanny" on your post so I went back and found listed below John and his two kids "Bridget Dougherty [I think] - age 21 - Spinster"

Old 05-07-2010, 04:24 AM

Thanks arkansasslim. The other child was Miriam. They eventually had 11 children, but Hannah died.
The relative is going on lore from her grandmother, so I'm sticking to my story.
This stuff is addicting, isn't it?

Old 05-07-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks arkansasslim. The other child was Miriam. They eventually had 11 children, but Hannah died.
The relative is going on lore from her grandmother, so I'm sticking to my story.
This stuff is addicting, isn't it?
YEP!!! But what a ride!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy