Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,038 times

Advertisements

James Oates is my 6th great grandfather. I believe he was born in Cornwall in 1649 crossed over to Warwick, VA area in 1660, crossed into NC in 1696, practiced law in Perquimans County where first woman Atty in colonies also practiced. I have copy of his 1703 will. His son,Joseph, married Elizabeth Wyatt, great granddaughter of Haute Wyatt, minister at Jamestown 1621-25, who came over with Francis Wyatt, governor of the VA colony. Their father,George wrote the first biography of Ann Boleyn, his father Thomas the younger was beheaded by Mary Tudor for leading the 4,000 man "Wyatt's Rebellion" from Allington Castle, Kent, against her. His father,Thomas was court poet of Henry Vlll's court, suitor of Ann Boleyn, was father of modern English poetry,introduced sonnet into English, several modern biographies of Thomas. His father, Henry Wyatt was controller for Henry Vll. If you are descendent of James Oates, you are also descendent of the Wyatts. I was given private tour of their home, Allington Castle in April. Jeff Saleeby

Last edited by jsaleeby; 06-09-2016 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 11:57 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Many if not most from Cornwall and Devonshire were in the fishing and maritime industries I've been learning, and as a book title says, "They Came to Fish" (in other words, they didn't come here for religious freedom). I knew they went to New Hampshire and Maine, but I didn't realize North Carolina as well ... learn sumthin' new every day - thank you! :-)

There are 5000+ family trees on ancestry.com for James Oates. None list any parents (except for "Family Dillingham" and "Oates" or "Otes" with no other information). I found a few Oates in Extracted UK Records, but in reality those bits and pieces are relatively useless because they give barely an iota of information - great I suppose for someone who lives in England and can physically make a trip to the record repositories, but for online research the extracted records are useless.

Curious if you know if James had a brother George? There was one in Barbados in the mid-to-late 1680s. Another thing I've learned lately is how many Englishmen went from England to Barbados and then to America (or America to Barbados or never even left Barbados).

James was married to Elizabeth Perry? If so, some of the 9 children listed for them had the last name Evans. I thought that odd.
During that period, Barbados was being developed as a sugar cane growing area. Labor was gotten by shipping in first unwanted Irish and English, which were later suplimeneted and then replaced with Africans. But the Irish influence remains in the common Irish surnames and the shamrock being a national symbol. Once it was established it would have been a good place for a young man with hopes to go since it needed to fill in the middle layers. The labor class had origionally been Irish, and poor English, but they died too quickly. Africans were added and the lower classes 'merged'.

Britan was suffering from overpopulation, especially in the lower classes, as factories replaced agriculture as their use, and James sounds like he was either lucky or wise or both.

Last edited by nightbird47; 06-13-2016 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,038 times
If you are a descendant of James Oates whose son married Elizabeth Wyatt, you have just as much Ancestery in Kent, i.e. Thomas Wyatt, 1503-1542, father of modern English poetry, Tudor courtier, suitor of Ann Boleyn; and his grandson, Haute Wyatt who came to Jamestown to serve as minister, along with his brother, Francis, governor of the VA colony.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 518 times
I have seen information of James Oates/Ots/Otts/Otes birthdate as 1647, 1648, c 1660 and 1660 itself. I have not found ANY source information on any date except the 1648 date, specifically July 16, 1648. This is from ancestry information for the descendants of John Otts (alias Watts) I received in 2020 from a fellow in Wales, David Roy White. This information he received was originally from John C Tanner of Crawthorne, Berkshire, England (2001). He did extensive research on the Otts/Oates and Grenfell/Grenville families of St. Just, Cornwall, England.

James was the last of 10 children of John Otts (alia Watts) 1603-1664/65 from St. Just, Cornwall, England and Mary ****(e) 1602-1664/65 also of St. Just. There is no further information on James besides his birthdate. There is no date of death listed like this is for 8 of the other 9 children. (There is also no date of death for Prudence).

This leads me to believe James immigrated to America and is the same James Oates that was in Warwick Virginia who participated in Bacon's Rebellion in 1676.

John Tanner obtained this data from old baptisms and burials of Bishops' Transcripts, baptisms and marriages from IGI (International Genealogical Index), marriages for Phillemore's printed marriage register transcript, film of original Parish Register, film of original Bishops' Transcripts, a manuscript transcript of marriages for the early BTs at the Society or Genealogists.

Looking through the entire ancestry listing, there is no James Otts born in 1660. This possibly is NOT the only Otts family in England, however.

Also, in America, all info shows that James (either 1648 or 1660) married an Elizabeth Jane Perry whose first marriage was to Richard Eivens (later spelled Evans). Elizabeth and Richard had 5 children. The first, Jonathan, was born in 1676 and the last child, Sarah, was born in 1693, possibly 2 Oct. (I do not believe there were two Jonathans). Richard may have died on 20 May 1693 before Sarah was born. James and Elizabeth would have been married between 1693 and 1697. Elizabeth and James had only one son, Joseph (1697).

In Cornwall, the Otts' were possibly miners.

Please contact me if you a) have any further info or b) any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy