U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 04:16 AM

5 posts, read 1,858 times

Advertisements

Hi Lana,
Thank you very much for your reply and apologies for taking so long to respond. I thought I might get an email from the site for any replies but maybe didn't set it up right and I was quite pessimistic that anyone would reply!

I really don't know anything at all about Angela's family, other than they came from Messina and another family member was called Placido. Her death record in Constantinople estimated her age as 36 in 1873 (so young) but my Great Grandmother was born in 1853 which would have made her only 16! She may therefore have been born a bit earlier than this. Having looked at the info provided by PA2UK I see that Giuseppe and Sante de Francesco had an Angela born in 1837, so it is a possibility that this is my GG GM but there are also others born about the same time. I will need to see if there is any way of narrowing down the candidates e.g. by cross-referencing in Marriage and Death registers.

Are you aware of anyone called Placido Ainis in your family tree?

Kind regards,
Angela
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I didn't see any other Angela Ainis' born in 1836 but there are a couple born in 1837 so if you're not sure on the year, you will need to do more research to figure out which one is your Angela, and whether there's also any possibilities in 1835, 1838, 1834, etc:

http://www.antenati.san.benicultural...temId=28122206
http://www.antenati.san.benicultural...temId=28122214

I also didn't finish looking at 1837 - some of the folders didn't have indices.
Hi,

Thank you so much for all your replies and providing this information. My apologies for taking so long to respond.

This is fantastic information, I had no idea these were online and what a lot of detail they contain. Is there any way to search the manuscripts other than scrolling page by page as I couldn't see any indices?

I think you are right, I am going to have to search quite a few years to identify all the candidate Angelas which is going to take some time. However as mentioned to Lana above, her estimated birth year of 1837 means if she married in 1852/3 she was really very young as my Gt GM was born Dec 1853 so this would have made her only 16. I think probably I wouldn't need to search beyond 1837, but should check the preceding years from say about 1834 or 1835. I also need to find Placido who turns up in 1867 in Constantinople as a godfather. If I can match his parents to Angela's then I think that would be good evidence as Placido doesn't seem that popular a name.

The other line of enquiry would be to search marriages and deaths to eliminate the other Angelas. Phew it's going to be quite a job! But thank you for this great lead.

Angela

Old 11-13-2016, 12:36 PM

9,686 posts, read 15,278,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela-sweetpea View Post
Hi,

Thank you so much for all your replies and providing this information. My apologies for taking so long to respond.

This is fantastic information, I had no idea these were online and what a lot of detail they contain. Is there any way to search the manuscripts other than scrolling page by page as I couldn't see any indices?
Most folders have a handwritten index at the end of all the other images.

Here's an example: Immagine 321 | Antenati

Old 11-26-2018, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 257 times
Default ainis ancestors in messina sicily

Hello, My name is Timothy Farina, I was born in New York of Italian Decent. My Great Grandfather Placido Farina (b. August 2, 1896) of Milazzo married Santa Ainis (b. March 8, 1898) of Messina in the 1920s. They moved to America but kept in touch with living Ainis relatives in both Genoa and Milazzo as late as 1954. It is possible we are distant relatives, though my knowledge doesn't go any further back.

Has anyone ever come across the name of Santa Ainis among those previously mentioned? Thank you each for sharing!

Old 07-18-2020, 09:20 AM

I also need to find Placido who turns up in 1867 in Constantinople as a godfather. If I can match his parents to Angela's then I think that would be good evidence as Placido doesn't seem that popular a name.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...-sicily-3.html

Quick update: I have now located a baptism for Placido Ainis in Constantinople/Istanbul for 25-07-1844 which gives his parents as Domenico Ainis and Nicoletta Allegra from Messina. These are also the parents for one of the Angela Ainis born in 1836 in Messina (b. 18-02-1836). Placido is later named as Godfather to Angela's son born in Constantinople in 1867 so I think the circumstantial evidence that he is her brother is pretty solid.

Thank you all for your help.

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggett1 View Post
Angela-sweetpea,

I am also related to the Ainis/Ainissi line from Messina. I don't know a Placido Ainis though. What do you know about your GG grandmother so far? Is she related to Giuseppe Ainissi (born about 1798) or his father Rosario Ainissi?

As much as I can tell, this is my line:
Rosario Ainissi (ca 1770) married to Maria Russo
|
Giuseppe Ainissi (ca 1798) married Santa de Francesco
|
Carmelo Ainissi (ca 1820) married Grazia Barbera
|
Giovanni Ainis (ca 1858) married Maria Scuderi

Hope to hear back from you soon.
Lana

Hi Lana,
I have now found out that Angela Ainis's parents were Domenico Ainis and Nicoletta Allegra. Domenico's father was Rosario. I think he might be the same Rosario ca 1770 married to Maria Russo. Do you have any more family info for Rosario's descendants please? I am wondering if Giuseppe and Domenico could be brothers.

Many thanks,
Angela

Old Today, 05:54 AM

16,487 posts, read 25,058,160 times
Whoever is left here should really do a DNA test on Ancestry, maybe you'll DNA connect to the ones that have not posted in many years?

Ancestry goes on sale for $59, the next sale should be mother's day. Once your results come back you can upload them for free to My Heritage who is world wide, you may connect with family still in Italy and all over Europe.

If you do DNA, post back, I'll link you to my directions on how to upload to the free sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy