Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:37 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
A big gripe of mine is workmen who show up an hour or more early, especially morning appointments.

If they say they will be there at 9 am, you can bet they will be pounding down the door at 7 am, happens every time! There I am, not dressed, haven't had my coffee, and have workmen swarming the place, they take over.

If workmen show up at an unreasonable time I just shoo them away, come back at the appointed time, I need to at least wake up and get dressed.

Tomorrow we're having new carpet installed, I dread it. We're having 6 rooms carpeted, it will be a two-day job, the appointment is for 9 am, I know they will be banging the door down at 7 am. Much as I try to be up and ready, it just doesn't work that way.

Anyone else have a problem with workmen showing up too early?

I'm a stickler for being on time. If I have an 8am appointment I show up 10 mins early, never late. I believe a happy customer is a return customer.

One thing my dad taught me when I started in the business is, it's not like doing commercial construction where you're on the job at 5:30am.

Most customers have to get kids off to school, fix breakfast for the family and get ready for work. I find that most jobs workout fine starting at 8am, some customers need till 9am to get out of the way.

Either way is OK with me as I ask them which time frame works for them.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I'm a stickler for being on time. If I have an 8am appointment I show up 10 mins early, never late. I believe a happy customer is a return customer.

One thing my dad taught me when I started in the business is, it's not like doing commercial construction where you're on the job at 5:30am.

Most customers have to get kids off to school, fix breakfast for the family and get ready for work. I find that most jobs workout fine starting at 8am, some customers need till 9am to get out of the way.

Either way is OK with me as I ask them which time frame works for them.

busta

My point---this isn't commercial, this is residential, people live here, they have to get up, get dressed, get kids off to school, etc. If the job is outside, that's a bit different, but you're inside people's homes, inteferring with their routine. At least give them half a chance by sticking to the appointed time, not 2-3 hours early!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Ok, I have an appt today at 2 pm for a moving company est. The gal has been calling me since 9 am, she's in the neighborhood, can she just "swing by?" Hey, I wasn't even dressed, all my clothes in the dryer, had other issues to tend to, but sure, swing on by!

I just didn't respond to the call. She's called at least 4 times since 9 am wanting to "swing on by" I refuse to even answer the phone until about 1:45. Not so much as I'm trying to make a point as I was involved in other things and wanted to be ready to address the issue, not while being distracted by other things, all the while feeling apologetic for not being "ready" for an "appointment" when she's trying to show up 5 hours early!

This is what bugs me about people in the moving business. they have no idea how to keep an appt. last night I was sick, didn't get to sleep until 5 am, so I slept in, so what? To my knowledge I didn't have anything pressing before noon, anyways. There goes the phone and doorbell at their convenience! You just never know when they will show up! But seems you are always at a disadvantage, I'm still waiting for my clothes to dry, had planned it that way, but didn't plan on them showing up whenever they please!

Old 07-05-2010, 01:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Bascially I know few that will agree to start at 9:00am. The normal start time is 8:00am. You can almost count on the ones that are alwasy late not being the best contractors really.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascially I know few that will agree to start at 9:00am. The normal start time is 8:00am. You can almost count on the ones that are alwasy late not being the best contractors really.

I don't care what time they agree to come, just stick to that time. If they want to come at 8 am or even 6 am, just say so, I can be waiting for them. My peeve here is workmen who don't abide by their own set appt time, especially early in the morning when people are apt to be either sleeping or just getting up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues