Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 01:44 PM

133 posts, read 584,308 times

Advertisements

We have about 90 boxes of stuff in a self-storage unit about 2 miles from our home. Is it possible to have our movers (national carrier - probably United, Allied, Mayflower, or Bekins) load from our home *and* our storage unit before taking off to our moving destination? We won't need to unload into self-storage, just our home. I don't want to deal with hiring a separate company to load at the self-storage unit, and don't have time or means to bring the 90 boxes back to our home ahead of time.

Any advice? Don't want to say "we'll pay any price", but we're pretty low on manpower and time, therefore, desperate. And pls don't tell us to use friends or kids of friends - we'd like it done as part of an overall professional move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 04:24 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh511 View Post
We have about 90 boxes of stuff in a self-storage unit about 2 miles from our home. Is it possible to have our movers (national carrier - probably United, Allied, Mayflower, or Bekins) load from our home *and* our storage unit before taking off to our moving destination? We won't need to unload into self-storage, just our home. I don't want to deal with hiring a separate company to load at the self-storage unit, and don't have time or means to bring the 90 boxes back to our home ahead of time.

Any advice? Don't want to say "we'll pay any price", but we're pretty low on manpower and time, therefore, desperate. And pls don't tell us to use friends or kids of friends - we'd like it done as part of an overall professional move.
Absolutely - just 16 months ago, we likewise had about 60 plastic storage boxes in self-storage. They (Atlas) parked the "big" truck out front, and used hand trucks, etc. to haul the boxes to the moving van.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:49 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
Most major local, intra- and interstate carriers can provide 'extra pick up and delivery' services for additional fees. Local charges are calculated based on time and distance, whereas long distance charges are calculated based on total miles and total weight.

Many large national household goods carriers and independent movers operate over-the-road tractor/trailer combinations that be a long as 80' and weigh up to 150,000 lbs. Sometimes their size makes it impractical to access many smaller or older self storage facilities. Some carriers have an additional charge in their unique tariff for providing loading/unloading service at a self storage location.

Remember that all items in storage must be packed adequately enough to sustain a long distance move. Unless you're planning to pay the mover to pack, suggest you go through the locker and purge anything you no longer need.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks, Rikki & RVA. Yeah, "purge" is what we're trying to do as we have a 20 cubic yd industrial bin rented for this long weekend! Of course, those more prepared and organized than we are would've probably held a garage sale or at least donated to charity many of the items we're dumping unceremoniously into the bin. But then, who would want a case of circa 1985 10" floppy disks...or beer mugs from every local Art Festival in San Mateo County between 1988 and 1993!? Or every scorebook from Dodger games in the mid-80's? Again, some people with TIME and organization would probably sell these on eBay and recoup some money. Us, we only end up paying to dispose them...or continue toting them around. We bring a new meaning to the phrase "Our family brings some baggage with us"!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 AM

507 posts, read 878,558 times
Quote:

I've had movers ASK me if I wanted them to load my strorage unit too without me mentioning it.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
I've had movers ASK me if I wanted them to load my strorage unit too without me mentioning it.
Hmm...must be a huge additional premium they can charge for that, though it will only be a 3 mile detour. Unfortunately, we will need this...

Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 PM

121 posts, read 460,440 times
Yes they do. Make sure they go and see how much to include in your quote.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:46 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:

Why not rent a U-Haul truck for $40 early the in the day, before the movers arrive. It should take you only an hour or two, to go pick up the 90 boxes and bring them back to your home. In time for the movers to load the stuff on their truck. Then you can take the rental truck back the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues