Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 03:41 PM

133 posts, read 584,360 times

Advertisements

We've obtained "guaranteed quotes" from 2 national moving carriers after their estimators spent well over an hour each at our home. Both companies gave us guaranteed prices, and, to my knowledge, I can't see where there may be potential surprises in price. That said, what are some typical "overages" or additional costs that movers sometimes charge for beyond the estimate?

Our quote includes:
Complete inventory of furniture & items (totalling 22,120 lbs)
Transportation (for a specific weight)
Insurance (we opted for a $250 deductible plan)
Packing services (I see prices for supplies and labor)
Additional appliance/piano/LCD TV handling fees
Disconnect/Reconnect service for fridge
...and that's it.

What can the still hit us for? We did not request UNpacking services, but would assume unLOADing is included.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 04:08 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
So you mean that they will not charge you more if you have more weight than they estimate? Good.

We recently moved. We also got two estimates from national moving companies. They each were within 1000 lbs of each other, and they each assured us they had overestimated. We opted to pack ourselves and use rental trucks with hired labor at both ends. Here's the thing, we should have been able to fit everything into 2x24' trucks, according to their weight estimates, but we required a third. So we would have had to pay more.
Check your homeowner's insurance. Our homeowners insurance would have paid for any damages. You do not need to pay for insurance through the mover. I think if you ask for the exact terms of their insurance, they will tell you the way it works is that they will not replace something that breaks, but will only give you some low percentage of your items. I wish I could remember exactly...it's something like, they'll give you $.60 a pound for a damaged item, or something weird like that.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
There are no hidden expenses unless you request something afterwards that wasn't in the contract. So, to find out what you are getting READ and UNDERSTAND the contract. That is where most people get hung up, they don't know what's in their contract and assume something is included when it's not. Also, make sure things you think are fixed say they are fixed in the contract. If your contract has an estimated weight and estimated cost, what happens if it's over? The best contracts limits your extra expense by saying that the estimate can't be above X% of the estimated weight or is a binding estiomate which means no matter what it weighs (2 tons less or 2 tons more) you don't pay anything more or get anything back.

RikiTiki is a regualr poster who posted several good information pieces. Do a search for those post in this section and you will find a treasure chest of valuable info.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
We are in the process of moving to CT from FL,lord have mercy on my sole,Mayflower did a binding contract at 1275 pounds,over this weight we do not pay,under this weight we get $19 per hundred weight.I went item by item with him to make sure of pick up.I took $1000 deductable,cost $236.The main reason for this is if van was demolished we would get up to $15000,at $.60 X 1275 is all you get.Also driver pays for 2 helpers and if for some reason van could not get to house,free shuttle.They will have there work cut out,not nice grade to house and no wording in contract against me.
Looked at paperwork on same move in 2000,cost $4,300,ironic near same weight,Mayflower $5830.Did not get second quote,thought was fair and company has good record.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:46 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
We are in the process of moving to CT from FL,lord have mercy on my sole,Mayflower did a binding contract at 1275 pounds,over this weight we do not pay,under this weight we get $19 per hundred weight.I went item by item with him to make sure of pick up.I took $1000 deductable,cost $236.The main reason for this is if van was demolished we would get up to $15000,at $.60 X 1275 is all you get.Also driver pays for 2 helpers and if for some reason van could not get to house,free shuttle.They will have there work cut out,not nice grade to house and no wording in contract against me.
Looked at paperwork on same move in 2000,cost $4,300,ironic near same weight,Mayflower $5830.Did not get second quote,thought was fair and company has good record.
add/change info $75,000 not $15,000 and pack and unpack beds & place mattresses into boxes.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,564 times
By law, interstate moving estimates can be one of two types. Non-binding based on the estimated weight of goods and services that a customer declares need to be moved; or, more frequently, fixed price (or binding) based on the same list using the pricing policies and criteria defined in each carrier’s unique tariff. The different variations of binding agreements make this estimate type more popular with shippers because of the perceived level of price certainty.

It appears that you have a binding (fixed price) estimate, Marsh511. If so, the only way that your mover can change the price of your estimate is if you change the scope of services required to complete your relocation. If you decide to do this, then the driver must advise you of the change in writing BEFORE he starts to perform any type of service for you move. Suggest you read Rescission Estimates and Relocation to see how the consumer protection regulations apply to binding type estimates.

A change to scope of services could mean unplanned access/egress restrictions that the truck driver encounters at either origin or destination like DanBev mentioned on his 'guaranteed-not-to-exceed' type of estimate. If access to your residence is impractical because of a situation beyond the driver's control, then some carriers will apply 'shuttle' charges.

Suggest you read What does it mean when your mover adds a ‘shuttle’ charge to your move? for those applications.

If you haven't already done so, you should read the entire Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's publication entitled Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move which is included at their Protect Your Move.gov consumer protection website.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:17 PM

133 posts, read 584,360 times
RikkiTikki - thank you for your thorough advice and links. I have one more question. Is it customary for movers to give you such a 'wide' estimate on delivery date (the day they can unload your stuff at the destination)? Two carriers have said their delivery schedule is "between 3-7 days" (for a Vegas to Sacto move = 500 miles or so). This is problematic for us, as we're moving in just in time for our kids' school to start, and would like a little tighter guarantee on arrival dates. Back in 2002, I don't recall needing to wait while our stuff was on the truck "at large" somewhere, that in fact, we had to hustle to drive our own vehicles so the truck wasn't wanting to unload ahead of us! I was hoping for a similar situation again.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:50 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,564 times
Depends on size of your shipment and the company's driver and equipment capacity to meet the commitments they've agreed to on the pick-up and delivery dates. The spread you mentioned is not abnormal for most midsized movers.

A five day delivery window with 3 days of transit suggests that your shipment is less than 7,000 lbs and you probably are trying to load at the end of the week and want to deliver on the first of the following week.

Most movers are extending their normal service dates because of unexpected influx of business this year. In some areas there are still shipments sitting at origin that should have been delivered last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues