Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 PM

81 posts, read 177,398 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

After a year I am finally happy to say that I have gotten a great job and am slowly on the road to getting back on my feet! Houston is officially going to be my home for several years and right now I am staying with one of my parents while I pay off some debt and hopefully get into my own place within the next couple of years.

Here is a bit of background and where I would like some advice - In June, 2008 I moved from North Carolina to Virginia to attend Graduate School. I didn't have much of my own so I bought a lot of new stuff (Couch, chair/ottoman, Bed, Mattress, coffee table, t.v. stand, and some dishes/pots/pans). The rest of my furniture was used and handed down from family. I left Virginia a year later after finishing up school and moved back to NC since at the time I was dating someone there - long story short, we broke up and I decided that since my Mom had moved to Houston and it had better prospects I left for TX a few months later, but since I was strapped for money I left all of my furniture in storage back in NC and just took what I could in my car to TX.

Now that I am getting on my feet and I have a week off between Christmas and New Year's I am starting to think ahead of whether or not to bring all of my stuff back or sell it. If all of my stuff was crap I would just sell it or give it away and just bring back whatever I could fit in my car again. However, the couch, bed, mattress, and chair/ottoman are pretty much brand new minus the year I used them in VA and are still in excellent condition! Since they are so new is it worth it to just bring them back to TX and not worry about getting my own furniture?

Any help would be appreciated - either way i'll be needing to bring some of my stuff and a lot of my Mom's stuff to TX so having to make that trip will have to happen either way, just trying to figure out whether i'll need to get the Penske truck. I should mention that I have an Uncle who is off that week and has agreed to help me with the move and drive the truck should I decide to do it.

Thanks in advance for your input and opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Have you checked out getting a POD or ABF MoveCube. Does not sound like you have that much to move, Are you planning to go to NC over xmas anyway? If so you and your uncle can pack up a cube/POD and they will pick it up bout a week later is will arrive in texas @ your mom's you then unpack it. Or Just get your uncle to pack it up for you. The storage lot your stuff is in will not want the cube/pod blocking its lanes so you will need to cord with them so it can be dropped off / picked up same day.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 AM

81 posts, read 177,398 times
I have thought about the POD idea but yes I was wondering how it would work since my stuff is in a storage unit and not sure how to coordinate that. Also, my Uncle is here in Houston so he would need to come with me or at least fly him in on a one way ticket later.

I also found out today that my sister wants to spend Christmas break here in Houston and agreed when our parents got divorced that we would spend Christmas and Thanksgiving together until we met a significant other so I may have to push the move back until the Spring.

Thanks for the idea - I will look into it! I will be in N.C. for Thanksgiving so if I did get a POD I may be able to coordinate then, that is if they are open that weekend after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues