Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 PM

133 posts, read 584,508 times

Advertisements

Wow...just when I thought we would see estimates about the same from two of the biggest national carriers, we ended up with almost a 20% difference between the two companies. Both quotes are "guaranteed", and one company even said I would be charged LESS if the weight came out lower (but not more, if higher). And...wouldn't you know it, the one that would charge less also had the lower quote to begin with.

Both companies had a 'moving consultant' spend well over an hour inventorying our entire home, asking thorough questions, and generally being very professional (and, admittedly, salesy). Should I smell a rat in the lower estimate? One company estimated 21,644 lbs & 3092 cu-ft, while the other estimated just 18,546 lbs & 2650 cu-ft. Both companies provided detailed listings (which I'm looking at now), and they seem to match pretty closely, item for item. How can the totals come up so different?

Now...since the prices are guaranteed, is there any reason for me now to question these quotes (and possibly risk getting a higher quote from the lower company)? I just don't want to be overlooking something that one carrier may not be including. Both carriers charge extra for valuation-based insurance, depending on deductible, but these premium costs are comparable. So is the cost for additional crating/uncrating and disconnect/connect charge estimates for 3rd parties (LCD TV, refrigerator, etc.). But the quote for the basic packing/moving/transport are around $2,000 apart.

One company is Allied, the other is Mayflower. Is there any reason for me not to select the lower quote?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:00 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
Nothing to do with your quote.We had a quote,binding by Mayflower,you mentioned inventory sheet,are they supposed to give you one when they send contract?I did not get second quote because quote was comparable to one in weight and $1500 higher than move 10 years ago.
Maybe I should,I was told that basicly there are two major carriers because of mergers.I am not sure if it is Allied & Mayflower and North American and don't remember other or vice versus.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:10 AM

415 posts, read 2,334,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh511 View Post
Wow...just when I thought we would see estimates about the same from two of the biggest national carriers, we ended up with almost a 20% difference between the two companies. Both quotes are "guaranteed", and one company even said I would be charged LESS if the weight came out lower (but not more, if higher). And...wouldn't you know it, the one that would charge less also had the lower quote to begin with.

Both companies had a 'moving consultant' spend well over an hour inventorying our entire home, asking thorough questions, and generally being very professional (and, admittedly, salesy). Should I smell a rat in the lower estimate? One company estimated 21,644 lbs & 3092 cu-ft, while the other estimated just 18,546 lbs & 2650 cu-ft. Both companies provided detailed listings (which I'm looking at now), and they seem to match pretty closely, item for item. How can the totals come up so different?

Now...since the prices are guaranteed, is there any reason for me now to question these quotes (and possibly risk getting a higher quote from the lower company)? I just don't want to be overlooking something that one carrier may not be including. Both carriers charge extra for valuation-based insurance, depending on deductible, but these premium costs are comparable. So is the cost for additional crating/uncrating and disconnect/connect charge estimates for 3rd parties (LCD TV, refrigerator, etc.). But the quote for the basic packing/moving/transport are around $2,000 apart.

One company is Allied, the other is Mayflower. Is there any reason for me not to select the lower quote?

Thanks!
Both companies are good companies and both will stand be hide their quotes, What I would recommend is a have United Van lines come out and get a 3rd quote, and go with the quote in the middle of the 3

Jack Jacobs
Sales Manager
Nilson Van and Storage
Mayflower Transit
Columbia SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues