U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 01:40 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,083,741 times

Advertisements

I've said this in the Penske vs. U-Haul thread (which is probably worth a read) but I've now used U-Haul three times and despite other's problems with them, I've had nothing but good experiences.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 03:32 PM

745 posts, read 1,996,546 times
We've rented U-Haul for short distance moves (within 20 miles) and had no problems. Except once we reserved a truck and it wasn't there so we needed to rent the bigger one they had.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:13 AM

983 posts, read 4,205,927 times
By the way I just reserved U haul for my local move from my place to ABF freight yard. It is closer than Penske to my place.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:48 PM

195 posts, read 478,484 times
I've made two cross country moves. To Wisconsin from California and back. Penske on the way to Wisconsin. We went with Penske to Wisconsin because it was cheaper. UHaul back to California. Uhaul was cheaper for some reason back to California. Penske was excellent. Brand new truck. It was ready when promised. Uhaul was reserved with a credut card. On the day we were to pick it up no one in the area had the truck we had reserved. They (UHaul) had located one several hours away in another city. We had to go get it if we wanted to still rent from them. We were only compensated for the extra milage. When we picked it up the attendant asked where we were moving to and he said "WOW you're going to take that truck across country"? "Usually a truck this old stays local". I was a little scared we had not seen the truck yet but had no choice we had to take it. It was about 20 years old dirty and stuck of cigarette smoke. To make along story short. It was the most stressfull thing I'd ever done. I needed to add oil everytime I filled up. 2 to 3 quarts. The first time was when we were on the road and the oil light came on and I stopped to add oil. After 5 quarts the dip stick finally read full. Well at least to the bottom of the safe zone. The over heating warning light came on everytime I turned on the A/C. This move was in August. Go Penske over UHaul.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 PM

181 posts, read 581,916 times
We just moved from Michigan to North Carolina and used Budget no problem. We rented a 26 foot.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:20 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,550,643 times
I went with Budget two years ago using a fairly new 26ft. Ran well except the power steering fluid reservoir leaked. The upsetting thing was that this vehicle obviously had some sort of governor installed preventing us from achieving speeds up above 60mph. Painfully frustrating.

Nonetheless, moving the rest of my gear from our home in CA to NC and towing my SUV on their trailer. I'll still shop them around with the others, but I would only be interested in Penske if I had a choice. Mostly, I'll stick with Budget. Interestingly enough, it pays to go online with Budget and book a reservation there. Then, try to negotiate the price further with the location of choice. They can sometimes better the price once the reservation is made. But spend a little time there shopping different regions... I've found significant price differences between locations for some reason (also look at the number of days and miles alotted... that can change too).

Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 AM

79 posts, read 216,580 times
I have had many problems with UHaul over the years. Ethical issues and vehicle problems.

Seriously, I've had to contact UHaul corporate to recover fraudulent charges and this last time they gave me a van that was in questionable condition, that had been left out in front of the station, parked outside the gate on the street overnight, and it only got GET THIS - about ONE MILE TO THE GALLON.

And they would hear nothing about the ridiculously high gasoline usage in a simple 12 mile move.

Very dishonest company.

Go with Budget if you can't afford United. United is the best!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:59 AM

287 posts, read 510,556 times
Do NOT use U-Haul. My brother used them 2 years ago to move 130 miles from Hendersonville, TN back home to Lexington, TN. 3 miles up the road from the U-Haul place he put $40 worth of gas in it. In Dickson, TN I put another $30 in it. He still ran out of gas 2 miles from our house. And this was 2 years ago when gas was like 2.50 or less a gallon.

The next day when he turned it in, they tried to charge him because he returned it with less gas in it than the papers stated it had when he rented it. The papers said it has 1/4 a tank when he rented it & he returned it empty. I was the one who got pi$$ed off.

I told the man at the u-haul place that I would kick my brother butt if he paid it & would sue u-haul afterwards. Needless to say, u-haul hasn't sent a bill & my brother hasn't paid them a penny.

Besides u-haul is run like western union, anyone who wants can get a contract to be allowed to rent them. The kids who rented the u-haul to my brother were about high school age. While we were there they recieved a phone call asking if they could install a fifth-wheel into a truck. The one one the phone turned to the other kid & asked him "What's a fifth wheel?" Neither one knew what it was & me & my brother had to tell them.

So, no I do NOT recommend u-haul. When I move I plan on renting a truck from enterprise & using my uncles enclosed car-hauling trailer. Either that or letting my uncle move me. He just isn't aware of my plans, yet......

Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 PM

13 posts, read 78,060 times
Skip them both and try moving pods. Unless it's very local and I don't have a lot of stuff, I don't know if I'll ever rent a moving truck again. My time is worth something isn't it????? There are a few national size companies that offer moving pods but Door to Door - ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 04-08-2009 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: must have 10 posts before posting recommended links.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 AM

6,351 posts, read 20,046,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpasa View Post
Budget for reliability.

Uhaul gives storage for 30 days for interstate moves.
Get it in writing!!! I had an AWFUL time with a manager at the U Haul place we stored our stuff in. And corporate doesn't give a damn about your piddly problems.

I'm utterly amazed that U Haul is still in business...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues