Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,332,674 times

Advertisements

I worked for U-Haul in the late 90's so I know alittle about them. They hire anyone who may have a pulse and provides them with hardly any training. It's all about renting the trucks as many times as possible. They rarely have enough people at their locations to properly maintain or clean out the vehicles. The employees are told to take one-way reservations, and then the Traffic department has to find the trucks. Our location were told to tell customers that U-Haul can't guarantee the time or day that the customer wants the truck. Try moving out of state under those circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,110,235 times
Just drove a Budget truck from Colorado Springs to Williamsburg, VA...no problems. Smooth ride, great truck, great service.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,696,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpasa View Post
Budget for reliability.

Uhaul gives storage for 30 days for interstate moves.

cool, any other tips?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,995 times
I say Budget tooo!! Very competitive price and services! so go for BUDGET! and I am going w/ Budget Truck too... At first I was also confused, which to choose and noticed that Budget has way better deal than the Uhaul. Way to go Budget Truck!! Uhaul just have this and that charges and 0.89 cents/mile where as Budget charges 0.68 cents/mile this wins a lot!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,621,972 times
When we bought our house and moved, we used Uhaul. My b/f shops around before committing to anything and found that for the price per mile, how long / length of trip we needed, etc they were the better deal out of our choices of Budget, Penske, etc...
Shop around, look at how many miles they allow and other costs.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,106,058 times
We used Uhaul twice. For some reason it was 200 dollars cheaper than the others when we did our out of state move. I was pretty nervous as Uhaul does not have a good rep. We had a good experience. The truck was newer, the pick up was easy and the people were friendly. The drop off went well also. We picked up the truck at a hardware store and the drop off was at a hub cap shop. When we moved again, we picked up our truck at Uhaul center. This was an in-state move. Again, newer truck, everyone was friendly.

Now my niece had a bad experience. She had an in-town move and the truck was so old I was surprised it ran. She ordered a certain size and when she went to pick it up, they did not have it. They gave her a smaller truck. A one shot move ended up being a 3 trip process.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,824,156 times
Quote:
A one shot move ended up being a 3 trip process.
But U-Haul only charged you for 1/3 of those miles, then, I hope!

My local U-Hauls, the larger ones, have gotten some new trucks lately.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,394,055 times
That's a shame. We recently moved some stuff in a u-haul trailer, they were out of the size we originally ordered so we got the next larger size (for the same price). It worked out well and we may do it again soon, in fact. In a way I w/h preferred a pod b/c I'd like to have more time as far as packing and storing the stuff whereas the u-haul had to be returned to another u-haul ctr w/in 5 days (or pay more per day) so we were a bit pressed for time (as in a mad scramble, LOL) and in hindsight s/h taken more things than we did (since we had the unexpected room) but it was very reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Now my niece had a bad experience. She had an in-town move and the truck was so old I was surprised it ran. She ordered a certain size and when she went to pick it up, they did not have it. They gave her a smaller truck. A one shot move ended up being a 3 trip process.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,872 times
Thumbs up UHaul worked for me

Just wanted to add my story. After reading stories online(like this thread/forum), Penske/Budget were rated much better than UHaul. While Budget was ~15 km closer to our moving locations, it still would have been $50 more expensive.

After this whole experience, the $50 savings was well worth the extra hour drive. On top of that, I can't think of anything Budget would have done to make that extra $50 worth it. Everything with UHaul went great. The only flaw was I ordered online and had a dolly in the order, but when I got there, they were out... UHaul saved me $7.

Also, just wanted to say thank you to the others who posted their experiences before me.

PS. It was a very local move, <10 km and the 14' truck I got had 30k Miles.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,674,926 times
Its a shame you can't use Penske. Out of those 2, definitely Budget. Gave up on U-Haul 10 years ago after a dozen uses, every one of the trucks had issues. The last thing you want to worry about when moving from one state to another is the truck breaking down in the middle of nowhere. When I was living in Montana and decided to move back to Dallas, I actually rode a Greyhound Bus 5 hours to Coeur D'Alene, ID (which btw is 5 hours going the wrong way ) just to get a Penske truck as the only option at the time in Butte was U-Haul. Thats how much trouble I went, to avoid U-haul. Did I mention how much I hate U-Haul?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues