Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM

24 posts, read 98,431 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if someone could tell me how they did or are doing this? How would you go about having your main bread winner find a job, and find a place to live and then get everyone moved? And how would you do it on a budget? Would you all go visit the area for a general idea of the place you are interested in and then send the bread winner ahead to work on the job and house? What if there was a possibility for a job transfer for the bread winner while they looked for something new
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:32 PM

448 posts, read 851,675 times
In my case, my other half already has a job lined up. So he will move ahead of us and until we move there he will rent a budget one bedroom apartment. I will follow at the end of the school year and by that time we will rent a three bedroom apartment. Live in an apartment until we have an idea where we finally want to settle down. No sense in living and spending the money on a three bedroom apartment when it will be a little over six months before we follow. He is a minimalist and does not require a lot especially when we know what we are getting in the end.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:59 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
Question, how did he get a job lined up?

My girlfriend and I both have college degrees, and are in deep student loan debt.

We owe nothing else, and we have enough saved for 6 months of living expenses.

We are having a tough time getting out of state employers to even call us, we have about 100 applications out in 5 different states.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Applied for a job that included full relocation package
Accepted offer
Listed house in origin location
Was required to start job in February
Moved out to new job location; family stayed behind
Visited family back in origin every two or three weekends
Family moved out in June after school over
House sold in origin
Currently living at job location "renting" until we find house we want to buy
Employer paid all real estate costs including commissions, fees, titles, inspections, temporary living expenses, packing and moving expenses, airline fares for return trips home, car rental, vehicles' transportation to new location

Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Is there a particular location you'd like to move to?

Many times employers won't even consider applications with out-of-state addresses. they don't want to pony up relocation costs, etc, and have been burned with applicants accepting an offer, then backing out when they realize what's involved with moving.

Do you have a relative or friend in a desired area you could use their address and phone number? Or you could get a PMN (private mail box) through UPS stores, Mail Boxes etc, they have an address that appears local, and will forward your mail. Also, you can easily change your area code to the desired area.

At least if you can indicate a local address, you won't be automatically passed over by some HR filter. The rest is up to you, how to coordinate interviews, etc, but at least it might get your application past first base.

Good luck

Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Question, how did he get a job lined up?

My girlfriend and I both have college degrees, and are in deep student loan debt.

We owe nothing else, and we have enough saved for 6 months of living expenses.

We are having a tough time getting out of state employers to even call us, we have about 100 applications out in 5 different states.
Justin,

Not sure if you were referring to me @bolded but I will answer anyway. He actually lived in NC a few years ago. His old boss wants him back. Actually, he wanted him now but we have things going on here which means he can't move to at least the end of October. I won't be moving until June 2011.

I agree with Marylee that many employers don't want to bother with out of state applicants. I have read somewhere here that you can get a PO Box and use that address but not sure how that works out.

What states are you focusing on, in what areas and what fields are you in?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:49 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Is there a particular location you'd like to move to?

Many times employers won't even consider applications with out-of-state addresses. they don't want to pony up relocation costs, etc, and have been burned with applicants accepting an offer, then backing out when they realize what's involved with moving.

Do you have a relative or friend in a desired area you could use their address and phone number? Or you could get a PMN (private mail box) through UPS stores, Mail Boxes etc, they have an address that appears local, and will forward your mail. Also, you can easily change your area code to the desired area.

At least if you can indicate a local address, you won't be automatically passed over by some HR filter. The rest is up to you, how to coordinate interviews, etc, but at least it might get your application past first base.

Good luck
Typo---I meant to write PMB---private Mail Box. don't get a us mail box, that's too obvious. Many places have PMB's, your address is a street number, with a box number, could look like an apt number. We had one, cost about $60/year, hard to do for multiple locations, but if you're targeting one specific area, it could be worth a try.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Typo---I meant to write PMB---private Mail Box. don't get a us mail box, that's too obvious. Many places have PMB's, your address is a street number, with a box number, could look like an apt number. We had one, cost about $60/year, hard to do for multiple locations, but if you're targeting one specific area, it could be worth a try.
That's a good idea. I will have to look into that

Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Applied for a job that included full relocation package
Accepted offer
Listed house in origin location
Was required to start job in February
Moved out to new job location; family stayed behind
Visited family back in origin every two or three weekends
Family moved out in June after school over
House sold in origin
Currently living at job location "renting" until we find house we want to buy
Employer paid all real estate costs including commissions, fees, titles, inspections, temporary living expenses, packing and moving expenses, airline fares for return trips home, car rental, vehicles' transportation to new location
That's exactly what we did, twice. DH has had many interviews over the years, in other cities/states. Several times he has started off with phone interviews. Then followed by a on-site interview.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
What's what my wife is doing. She's using a UPS Store. Use their online store locator to find one that doesn't have a suite number. For example, if their address is

123 Main St., Suite A5
City, ST ZIPPP

Your address would be

123 Main St., Suite A5
PMB 100
City, ST ZIPPP

But if your find a store without a suite number, your address would be

123 Main St., Suite 100
City, ST ZIPPP

Where 100 is your box number. That way, it looks much more like a physical apartment, condo, or office address.

For the phone number, you can get a Google Voice number in the destination area code for free and forward it to your cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues