Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM

24 posts, read 72,747 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

After two interviews and visits I have a job offer in Encino, CA. My wife and I are very excited.

My employer is willing to cover the relocation costs, however they asked me to do some research and check on costs. I have been searching this forum and i gues my problem is that I just don't know where to begin.

Could someone suggest a reputable company? Or advise on those which to stay away from?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:03 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
If they don't have a specific company they work with, they may ask you to get quotes from 2 or 3 companies for comparison. I've used Bekins, Grabel, United, Mayflower, all have had their good and bad points. Call up a few who are local to you and get their estimator to come out, compare them for price and most importantly for your comfort level with the quality of service you'll be getting. Congrats on the job.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
What does your employer cover?
Moving?
Real estate sales costs?
Packing, shipping?
Points on a loan?
Temporary housing?
Vehicle shipping?
Per Diem?

I've been through three of these in the past four years and all three moves included all of the above. Normally a relocation company (Cartus, Sirva, Weichert) handles everything.

Also, I would think you'd save money if you do this off season - not now during summer when everyone else is moving so kids can start school in fall.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,813 times
Smile Relocation Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
Hello everyone,

After two interviews and visits I have a job offer in Encino, CA. My wife and I are very excited.

My employer is willing to cover the relocation costs, however they asked me to do some research and check on costs. I have been searching this forum and i gues my problem is that I just don't know where to begin.

Could someone suggest a reputable company? Or advise on those which to stay away from?

Thank You

Dear Flying V,

I am glad I fell upon your message! I work for the UKs largest relocation company - HCR. We have been relocating people worldwide, including many US domestic moves, for 28 years. I would be more than happy to share my knowledge with you, highlight the things you need to consider, and point you in the right direction of where to go for help. I assume i am not allowed to post any personal details/websites on here. However should you wish to visit our website through google...you will find a wealth of information on global relocation services, articles and case studies that will really help you. Please also feel free to get in touch with a message for my attention if you would like to talk to more, I am happy to help!

Wishing you luck with your move!

Laura Finney

Old 08-15-2010, 09:35 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
Hello everyone,

Thank You
Try checking movers.com. You should be able to get estimates to give to your employer.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
In addition to the re-loc, are they giving your a HUGE raise? Cost of living in Calf, is much higher then Alabama, (also taxes are higher there).
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

says you would need 130% more to maintain the same standard of living...

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 04:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues