Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM

50 posts, read 124,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Can you split the pets? He takes the cats, you take the dog or the other way around. If not I would give it a test run, load all the pets in the car, take a couple hour drive and see if you can stand it. We have siamese and the first few hours they feel the need to talk (yell) at you until they get tired and fall asleep. We've moved with dogs and cats before and try to take 2 cars, we don't crate our pets so the cats always try to escape when the dogs want to take a walk. Our cats will not use the litter box in the car so we try to keep a days drive to about 8 hours and then get into a hotel and very quickly unpack the litter box. I'm not a big fan of tranquilizers unless you have given them to your pet before, don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and have a medical problem. Best of luck!
If anything he might be able to take the dog but not the 2 cats. I'm not a fan of sedatives either. I thought there was some type of natural sedative though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 01:28 PM

50 posts, read 124,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Have you checked into Pet Airways? They are exclusively for pets. Their routs are limited, I don't know if they go your direction, but might check into them.
This is a great concept, unfortunately there routes don't travel to my location.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:16 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
When travelling across country, get a vet to subscribe a mild tranquilizer. Actually that's just advice from friends, we didn't use them with ours. The cat quieted down after a couple hours and I was grateful to stop and walk the dog every few hours.
There are motels/hotels that will allow pets along the way, look them up.
I am making a long move soon and asked my vet about a mild sedative for my cat. He said he doesn't believe in them, says most cats will settle down for the long ride. My cat is very good in the carrier so I'm not going to sedate her. I have traveled with a cat who kind of freaked out and climbed the back of the truck seat injuring her leg which had to heal and took a long time, so I always leave a cat in the carrier now. (That was in the days before cat carriers being a common thing.)

barbieart, good luck with your long move, whatever you decide.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:23 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Try Feliway, its a calming spray for cats. (don't know if they have something similar for dogs). You can get it at petco, etc.

We used it to spray the bedding in our cats carriers when we moved, it seemed to help. I would suggest getting some before you travel and "test-drive" it. also, a good idea to take the pets on short trips to get them used to the car first.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
When you say the 3 animals are small enough to fit in the cabin,are you referring to a commercial jet? i didnt know you could bring animals into the passenger area on a commercial flight.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:17 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I use Happy Traveler for the dogs when there are fireworks, we don't need it for car rides. I wouldn't call it a sedative, it really just takes the edge off. Never used anything for the cats, they travel really well.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:58 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Yes you can but you have to make the arrangements well in advance and oftentimes 3 in the cabin are not allowed (I think it's 2 only per cabin), they also need a current health certificate and you have to pay for their space in advance as well (it may be as much as $100 one-way now), they have to be kept in an airline approved soft carrier (which has to fit under the seat but big enough for them to stand and turn around) the whole time, you can't take them out b/c they can escape etc. But it is allowable, check w/ your individual airline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When you say the 3 animals are small enough to fit in the cabin,are you referring to a commercial jet? i didnt know you could bring animals into the passenger area on a commercial flight.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
driving longdistance with pets can be done, try to check things out first, motels, hotels...route..all that...I had a mild tranquilizer from the vet for my cat just in case, better to have it and not use it than wishing you did have it! It's hard to predict how animals will be hour after hour in a carrier..

Old 08-16-2010, 06:17 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
and yeah, every airline is different but I flew with my cat in the cabin on USairways..make sure to talk to them first before flying..the petcarrier/bag has to fit under the seat in front of you..

Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
You could likely drive if you have enough room for a large enough crate for the cats to include a small cat box and food and water and can walk the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues