U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 09:04 PM

17 posts, read 63,419 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if any of you have been "required" to box your belongings in standard moving boxes of some type before a mover will load?

I have a friend who will be moving from CA to TX, and she has been slowly packing for several years. She lives alone and will need to hire a mover.

For packing, she's used some regular packing boxes, but many of her things are in those plastic storage bins, bags, or purchases (like from home shopping TV) received in the mail, still in their shipping boxes. I foresee a "mound" to be moved, and very inefficient for a van.

I have mentioned to her that movers would prefer things be stackable/standard cartons, but she doesn't think she has a problem as long as her items are in closed containers. She doesn't have much furniture or appliances just "stuff".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 PM

521 posts, read 4,211,051 times
Most established professional full-service interstate movers will transport 'packed-by-owner' cartons of varying sizes. Most carriers, however, will not accept plastic bags or other unsuitable containers that can't be handled without damaging the contents. Smaller cartons of various sizes can't be dollied or carried as easily as regular sized moving containers.

The bigger issue for your friend is accepting the responsibility for the condition of the items contained in each carton the amount of valuation she plans to place on all the goods being transported.

The best way to pack is to purge. If you friend has been packing for 'several years', there is probably not much being discarded, donated, or otherwise culled from the household. Moving is expensive. If sounds like your friend is a hoarder. If so, this move will be VERY, VERY costly because of sheer volume of unnecessary items being taken.

You friend will not only be responsible for signing an inventory agreeing to the preexisting condition of each items included in the shipment at origin, but also will have to sign acknowledging receipt of all the goods the driver tenders for delivery. If she doesn't know what's in each carton, she can't file a claim if some of her things show up missing or damaged.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 PM

17 posts, read 63,419 times
Thanks for your info. Good advice. I hope her inventory is accurate. I know at one point she was trying to keep a list of things. I will bet she is going to be told to repack some items, but sounds like most will be okay.
I think she is sort of a hoarder- but, in fairness, she really has tried to get rid of some things.
The trouble being, she keeps buying little items she thinks she'll "need" in the new place.
I cannot convince her that its easier to wait until she has relocated.
I get the feeling she is probably going to be shocked into reality when she gets an in-person estimate. (So far she has only done those online calculators.)

Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 PM

121 posts, read 427,375 times
They will load your plastic bins and self packed boxes. They label them that they were packed by owner for liability reasons. Might want to read what is not allowed so she can remove that from packed boxes. Sounds like a pack rat. It is best to have some come into her home and estimate the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues