Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh that story about the frog in the pot hits so close to home! I saw that happen to my parents. They were just comfortable enough not to really have to move. It was somewhat uncomfortable, but not enough to force them out. Finally the pot was turned up from uncomfortably warm to boing over and they had to literally flee their home. They lived in Detroit, long story short, they fled one day from crime,etc, to an apt they managed to get. The next day they came back, their home was vandalized, later burned. They got out just in the nick of time.

I realized the situation and ditched, to #ell with that!
I used to live in Riverside. I had an apartment in the nice part of town. The tweekers were climbing the fence and camping out in the empty apartments. My son was visiting and we went to a movie, found the screen loose and the laptop gone. Socal in general has gotten unliveable unless you live on stress hormones. I love my little town where it takes forever to get stuff done but I don't have to hear the druggie next door cussing out his 80 year old mom either.

I notice I'm used to that which they call "Okie time" when I compare with family still in California. Now to get the rest of them to move out here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 AM

177 posts, read 685,665 times
We live in the Carolinas --- DW has health problems and does better where it is warmer (even than the Carolinas). Now, she can't get out in the winter for several months because body is very sensitive to cold. And she feels much better if she can get out in the sun most days.

So we are moving to a retirement community near Tampa this coming summer.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Moving for a fresh start is always a poor excuse to move. Your problems will follow you. Big mistake.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Moving for a fresh start is always a poor excuse to move. Your problems will follow you. Big mistake.
Where do you get a fresh start is about moving a "problem"??

A fresh start can be wonderful and exactly what is needed, imo.

It's much better than moving because it's forced due to job or some other circumstance that forces a move.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
Quote:
I suppose if the reason you moved to get a fresh start was because you have 10 kids by 7 different mothers and child support was starting to cramp your style... I guess I could see what you are talking about then when the sheriff finds you.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:45 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh that story about the frog in the pot hits so close to home! I saw that happen to my parents. They were just comfortable enough not to really have to move. It was somewhat uncomfortable... They lived in Detroit, long story short, they fled one day from crime,etc, to an apt they managed to get. The next day they came back, their home was vandalized, later burned. They got out just in the nick of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I used to live in Riverside. I had an apartment in the nice part of town. The tweekers were climbing the fence and camping out in the empty apartments. My son was visiting and we went to a movie, found the screen loose and the laptop gone. Socal in general has gotten unliveable unless you live on stress hormones.
Wow just wow! Both are meltdowns! That's why I'm not going to hit the road before my house sells and escrow closes. I doubt that would happen in my neighborhood, a pretty nice, quiet and clean neighborhood, but I'm not taking any chances until my stuff is stored and my check is in my hand.

Quote:
Not necessarily! My problem is Los Angeles. I'm pretty sure that if I move out of state that Los Angeles isn't going to follow me. Okay I'm being humorous... My problem is the big city and all the hassle and traffic of city life. Wherever I go I'm going to move to a much smaller city and I'm going to live on the outskirts. San Fernando Valley has what, 4 million residents? One city I like is under 100 thousand. That's bound to make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Good for you, Lovehound! I hope you find a wonderful new home. This country has so many amazing and different communities, so enjoy the search.
Thanks! It looks like it is going to be fun! Plus, I think the housing market is going to continue slowly declining for the next couple years before an upturn is possible, so I might even come out well when I sell my house and then roll my money into my next house 1-2 years later. Even if the situation improves sooner I doubt prices will climb substantially in the first few years of a recovery. I think the next couple years will favor renters over buyers.

Anyway, I've lived in L.A. my whole life. That's too limiting. I'm due for a change.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Anyway, I've lived in L.A. my whole life. That's too limiting. I'm due for a change.
Go for it!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Woah, woah... okay my apologies.

I moved from Alaska because I was never to be there as long as I expected. We moved up so my kids could get to know their grandfather before he passed. He passed and we remained there for 2 more years. After finally having enough of the winters up there we decided it was time to leave family and friends and head back to the states.

Always had an interest in Florida so we decided that is where we would go. Thankfully my job has an office there, allowed me to move and everything is great so far. This is our first winter here, what a difference I love it. The schools are better here and there is never a moment where you are looking for something to do.

So yes, I suppose we did a fresh start and it had nothing to do with running away from a problem that could follow me.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:40 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Thanks Sonnenwende! FloridaKash, no apology necessary. You may or may not be able to solve your problems by moving away. A fresh start may or may not solve your problems. It depends on the person and what the problems are. I may solve my problem (big city, crowding, traffic) and gain different problems (small town, boredom, lack of shopping). Only time will tell but there's no way of knowing except to try it and see. I've just retired and I think retirement is a good reason to make a fresh start somewhere else. I'm fortunate that work is not an issue for me, but of course unfortunate that my ticker probably has less ticks left than those who are still working. Might as well make the best of it.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM

431 posts, read 1,641,520 times
I am just waiting for my time when my husband retires or I can talk him into moving south because I am tired of the long cold wisconsin winters. I hate not being able to get out of my driveway because of the drifts or it just snowed. I don't mind a little snow that doesn't last long and weather that gets a little chill that all you need is a sweatshirt and jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues