Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 AM

70 posts, read 216,512 times

Advertisements

If you are reading this, please give me any input. I do appreciate it ...

A little back story, I live in smalltown, Wisconsin. Have traveled all over the U.S., lived for a brief time in ATL & Florida. (So, I have seen other places - lived ALL of over WI as well - I am a chronic mover) ... I have wanted to move to a warmer climate for YEARS NOW but was in a serious relationship, planning to get married - needed to stay here for his family. Let that dream fade away..

Fast forward 3 years... We are no more. I won't get into this part of the story but I feel I need to leave this town (and him) behind and FINALLY start my life. I am in my late 20s, obviously no relationship - no kids - no ties.. Just my family here (but you can always visit) ... Since my passion is moving, and I LOVE the South, what better time to do it, right? I am still young, but getting older

Well, here's the dilemma that I face. I have a decent paying job .. But a mundane "going no where" job. I just do it for the paycheck. I have wanted to quit for many...maaaany years now. Do I do it? I only live once? Start fresh?? Or am I "foolish" in this ecomomy to leave a good job behind?

As I stated in the beginning.. Please, any & all thoughts.. your 2 cents... all is welcome. Even if you are having a bad day & want to tell me how stupid I am for such a thought lol.. I don't care, I am just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. I need to meet someone, meet new friends, have more to do - more culture NO MORE WINTER

Have you ever done this? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:33 PM

149 posts, read 356,375 times
I hear Texas calling your name. Economy is better than most places. Lots of warm weather!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68 View Post
I hear Texas calling your name. Economy is better than most places. Lots of warm weather!
Everything has been pointing towards Austin / San Antonio thus far. ALTHOUGH, I do hold a certain spot close to my heart... NOLA.. Hmmm decisions...

Thank you for taking the time to answer

Old 11-04-2010, 03:01 PM

438 posts, read 1,113,093 times
Austin might be a good place for you to start fresh. I suggest getting a job first, then moving. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:14 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,441,325 times
Sounds like you are the perfect person to move. If you can just have a little patience, I would say save up money (good for you if you're already secure there) and DEFINITELY find a job before you go.

Take the time to do it and you will be glad you did. Now, if you want a job in a new field, and love to move, and are willing to maybe go back to school, look into traveling nursing maybe. Spend some time down south and go to school, then find an agency (there are many) that employs traveling nurses. You can pick how long you go someplace (weeks vs months) and can decide where you are willing to go.

Just a thought if you truly are a chronic mover...

Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 AM

149 posts, read 356,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki26 View Post
Everything has been pointing towards Austin / San Antonio thus far. ALTHOUGH, I do hold a certain spot close to my heart... NOLA.. Hmmm decisions...

Thank you for taking the time to answer
Yes, New Orleans is great. One thing for sure is you might visit all these places you want to move to before you decide on a particular place. That way you have a list of pros and cons of each city. A plus in NO is delicous creole and cajun seafood. Austin is dryer than NO. Good Texas BBQ there etc etc. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:31 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,671,463 times
Definitely visit where ever you think you may want to move. I can name several cities that people who have visited who think they are fantastic, but most of us who have lived there or visited dozens of times for whatever reason, can't stand. Every one has different tastes and needs. I grew up 90 miles from New Orleans. I think that city is a dump. I can't tell you how many people I've met who were so disappointed when they finally visited that city. Yet, I know others who love it. Just something to keep in mind when thinking of blindly choosing your destination.

I'd try to save as much as possible. Everyone says get a job before moving, and you should try, but save as much as you can because chances are, you won't be able to nail down a job before moving. Unless of course you have one of those small percentage careers that isn't highly competitive. It's ideal to nail one down before moving, but most Employers don't bother interviewing those located out of state. It's so much easier for them to hire local talent. Besides, they have no sure fire way of knowing you are actually going to move. Why go through all that trouble to hire someone only for them not to show up? My girlfriend and I both have moved to cities jobless with only our savings and did just fine. It was scary, but you are motivated because there is no playing around. (I moved to Chicago in 2008 w/ no job lined up and she moved to Jupiter, FL w/ no job lined up and we both had jobs within 3 weeks of arriving due). I spent 2 years trying to get a job in San Francisco while living in Dallas because it's such an expensive city. They all said the same thing "Oh...you're in Dallas....well, look us up when you move out here. *click*" They wouldn't give me the time of day. I ended up losing my car and without the car payment, on a whim took off to Chicago as it was my second choice. I missed friends and family but I loved that city and had it not been for my fathers death, i'd still be there. It was scary, but I pulled it off because I had to. Now i'm back in Dallas, saving up to move to San Francisco or Chicago again. I'll job hunt when it's time, but more than likely, I'll probably run into the same issue I had before "Call us when you move here". Save save save. Thats my advice.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,593,973 times
Maybe get some training before you go--degree or certificate--that can make you more marketable in more places. If you have a good job now, that can help you finance it. I think planning is key to moving and esp. in this economy. Since you're young, you have plenty of time ahead. Sometimes a "new life" takes time to get. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,821,586 times
well, late 20's is not all that young to keep moving around, changing jobs, etc. Not in this world today...you will be competing against the truly young (college graduates who are desparate for work). When I was young (many many decades ago) that was possible but not today, IMO. Right now I think no one should leave without having a job first, the economy is bad everywhere. But if you can save up enough to support yourself without work for at least 8 months, then I'd say you could take that chance.

I used to move around alot, but I was running away from my problems, but I finally figured out that no matter where I went, guess who showed up....me! Not sure if that's the case with you or not. don't get me wrong, I'm not a "bloom where you are planted" kind of person, I don't necessarily believe that. Being a gardner I know that's not true. Some people are way happier in one place over another. And those of us who have true "wanderlust" in our genes, it's not easy, but in my case I forced myself to stay somewhere I wasn't all that crazy about and had alot of bad memories, I had to make a decision to stick it out, and after a passage of time, things have worked out. Anyway, I do wish you luck!

Old 11-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I'd try to save as much as possible. Everyone says get a job before moving, and you should try, but save as much as you can because chances are, you won't be able to nail down a job before moving. Unless of course you have one of those small percentage careers that isn't highly competitive. It's ideal to nail one down before moving, but most Employers don't bother interviewing those located out of state. It's so much easier for them to hire local talent. Besides, they have no sure fire way of knowing you are actually going to move. Why go through all that trouble to hire someone only for them not to show up? My girlfriend and I both have moved to cities jobless with only our savings and did just fine. It was scary, but you are motivated because there is no playing around. (I moved to Chicago in 2008 w/ no job lined up and she moved to Jupiter, FL w/ no job lined up and we both had jobs within 3 weeks of arriving due). I spent 2 years trying to get a job in San Francisco while living in Dallas because it's such an expensive city. They all said the same thing "Oh...you're in Dallas....well, look us up when you move out here. *click*" They wouldn't give me the time of day. I ended up losing my car and without the car payment, on a whim took off to Chicago as it was my second choice. I missed friends and family but I loved that city and had it not been for my fathers death, i'd still be there. It was scary, but I pulled it off because I had to. Now i'm back in Dallas, saving up to move to San Francisco or Chicago again. I'll job hunt when it's time, but more than likely, I'll probably run into the same issue I had before "Call us when you move here". Save save save. Thats my advice.
Thanks very much for that advice, that's what I was looking to hear actually.

Yes, in an ideal, perfect world - I'd love to have a job lined up & waiting for me -- but I know that is near impossible. Like you mentioned above - if I were an employer I'd never take someone on that lives 1,000's of miles away. What a risk, don't blame them.

I am excellent people person - if all else fails I can get a bartending gig (I've done that @ night for extra cash before), I am licensed in the beauty industry (that only applies to that state of Wisconsin -- but in a crunch I could do some work in a spa or salon up front) .. and for the last 4 years I have been in the telecommunications industry. <--- That's my ticket I believe.

I am going to go without a job (it has to be done this way) and it's so true - you bust your a$$ more when you know YOU HAVE TO DO IT.. I have enough money to hold me over for quite some time as well.

Anywho - thanks for EVERYONE that answered. As I said, I really do appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues