Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving across country with our 2 dogs (we're moving) by myself (older woman) - what is the best route I-40, I-20 or I-10 - we'll be heading out end of November after Thanksgiving. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 03:37 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
That depends upon where you're going in Arizona.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
i'd do I20 to Birmingham
I 22 to Memphis
I 40 to Arizona

good luck!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
I'll be driving across country with our 2 dogs (we're moving) by myself (older woman) - what is the best route I-40, I-20 or I-10 - we'll be heading out end of November after Thanksgiving. Thanks!
I would take I 40. It is pretty much a straight shot. I do a lot of interstate traveling by myself and 1 dog. I prefer to stay on highways that have hotels that take pets and rest stops that have pet areas. I also feel more comfortable knowing that there are more facilities along the route such as hospitals.

I would avoid driving through Dallas; the traffic is absolutely horrible and there is a lot of construction. I would avoid west Texas--it is dismal.

You do not want to drive alone through southern New Mexico or along the border (Texas, NM, AZ). There is practically nothing between Las Cruces, NM and Tucson,AZ.

There is a stretch of highway between Grants, NM and Holbrook, AZ that is sparsely populated (mostly Indian nations land), but there are plenty of gas stations along the way, and there are hotels in Gallup (that take pets) as well as a hospital. It's a boring drive, but bearable.

Good luck.

PS: Don't buy "Native American" jewelry in Gallup. Quality is not the best and it is all outrageously priced. If you want some of that jewelry, ever, go to the Governor's Palace on the Plaza in Santa Fe. The vendors are Native Americans that have been vetted as authentic and the prices are comparable and quite a few times cheaper than Gallup.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
I'd say it depends on the weather. I drove from NJ to southern NM (twice) by myself and took the 'southern' route (TN, AR, TX, NM) both times since it was just after Thanksgiving when I did it the first time and late January when I did it the second time and didn't want to get stuck in snow anywhere along the way.

It was fabulous hitting Dallas in the balmy 70 degree weather after leaving the cold in NJ, and, perhaps because it was a holiday week-end, the traffic wasn't bad. The stretch along I-10 going into El Paso is looong, but, it is an easy drive from there through to Tucson and lots of places to stop in El Paso, Las Cruces, Deming...

Just be aware that they've closed all of the rest stops in AZ so, regardless of which route you take, don't count on finding a bathroom outside of one of the restaurant/gas station plazas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues